Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imazu

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2012
Couch

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    812 KB · Views: 1,707

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I got my 5 two weeks ago and it's been in the Incase Slider since day one and travels in its own pocket in my purse. I've kept it clean, only clean it with iKlear and a clean microfiber cloth. It's never fallen or been next to keys, etc. I usually use Power Support screen protectors on my iPhones and iPads. With them still not available I decided to try this protector.

I got it in the mail yesterday and when I cleaned up my iPhone to get it ready, I noticed a few small scratches on my screen. Really couldn't believe that it was scratched so soon and can't even think of how it got scratched. So for the ones that go without a protector and say they never get scratches - I'm glad for you but have not had the same experience and I'm really very careful with my stuff (a little on the anal side).

I pride myself on getting perfect installs with screen protectors and my family comes to me when they need an install. So anyway this long story leads me to the SPG GlasTr. First of all, I really love the glass protector itself. It feels good, lines up well and covered up the tiny scratches that I could see on my regular screen. So all's good, right? Almost. I did my usual set up with the steamy bathroom and lined my protector pretty close to perfect. But even as careful as I was and as clean as I got my screen, I did get two tiny particles of dust under the protector. Nothing serious and no bubbles so at this point I'm happy but would have been ecstatic if if was completely dust free.

Now to find the perfect case. Right now I have the Incase Slider back on it. It is a very tight fit but works until I get my other cases in the mail. I've ordered the Switcheasy Tones in white and the SPG Neo Hybrid bumper in white. So I guess I'll see which one wins in a couple of weeks. I think both cases are on back order.

I've seen the black Tones which looks like a great pairing. Does anyone have the SPG Neo Hybrid in white? I'd like to see that one with this protector. Please share photos. I'll share some photos later this morning when I can take the shot without lights and less glare.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Here's mine. As much as I like this, I think the Bodyguardz Pure might be the better option. It is half as thick as the Glas.t.r and although more expensive initially it has replacements at $12.95. So should fit better with most cases as well as being able to get a cheaper replacement if you botch the install.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 384

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Here's mine. As much as I like this, I think the Bodyguardz Pure might be the better option. It is half as thick as the Glas.t.r and although more expensive initially it has replacements at $12.95. So should fit better with most cases as well as being able to get a cheaper replacement if you botch the install.

I was wrong - both of these glass protectors are the same thickness.

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California

What case are you using in that picture? Incase Slider?

Mbman81

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010
I did my usual set up with the steamy bathroom and lined my protector pretty close to perfect. But even as careful as I was and as clean as I got my screen, I did get two tiny particles of dust under the protector. Nothing serious and no bubbles so at this point I'm happy but would have been ecstatic if if was completely dust free.

Hi. I have the Bodyguardz Pure (glass protector like the Glas.t) and also had dust / lint stuck under screen. I took a chance popping the screen protector off, using tape and a lint roller, and reinstalling. It got the lint and the reinstall lined up perfect.

If SGP uses a similar adhesive, don't fear removing and reinstalling. I went from slightly crooked w/ lint to perfect.

iamartimus

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted

Mbman81 said:
I did my usual set up with the steamy bathroom and lined my protector pretty close to perfect. But even as careful as I was and as clean as I got my screen, I did get two tiny particles of dust under the protector. Nothing serious and no bubbles so at this point I'm happy but would have been ecstatic if if was completely dust free.

Hi. I have the Bodyguardz Pure (glass protector like the Glas.t) and also had dust / lint stuck under screen. I took a chance popping the screen protector off, using tape and a lint roller, and reinstalling. It got the lint and the reinstall lined up perfect.

If SGP uses a similar adhesive, don't fear removing and reinstalling. I went from slightly crooked w/ lint to perfect.

I'm glad to hear this! I was leery about throwing away $$$ like that because I ALWAYS get that 1 speck of lint, if not more. Then I rip it off because I can't stand looking at it all the time.
Thanks for the heads up.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
What case are you using in that picture? Incase Slider?

Yes, it is the Incase Slider and at this point it works best for me. With the Glas.T.R, the slider is very tight but works fine if you go slow sliding it on. I actually like the Slider case but I do have 2 others I would like to try - the Neo Hybrid Snow bumper and the Switcheasy Tones. The Tones has the best reviews so we'll see how it goes once I receive it.

Meatwad

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2005
I got it in the mail yesterday and when I cleaned up my iPhone to get it ready, I noticed a few small scratches on my screen. Really couldn't believe that it was scratched so soon and can't even think of how it got scratched. So for the ones that go without a protector and say they never get scratches - I'm glad for you but have not had the same experience and I'm really very careful with my stuff (a little on the anal side).

Me too. I saw a scratch on mine and I figured that I had it less than 24 hours and it must have come with it - Apple agreed and swapped it out. But just to be safe I've kept the "stock" protector on it and I've been carrying in a jersey bin. I'll have a protector showing up Tuesday.

I got my iPhone 4 late, so I put a screen protector on it straight outta the box. I didn't have that option with my iPhone 5. But a scratch in 24 hours? I keep it in my left pocket, no keys or anything else. Was the iPhone 4/4s screen as likely to scratch?

jayinla

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
I live in the LA and went by he SGP offices and picked up the glas.tR and ultra slim soft clear case. I'm not a huge fan of screen protectors but read many great reviews and wanted to give it a try. After a few days I have decided that I wanted off my phone. Yes it feels great, just like the iPhone glass but I think I would just rather use the iPhone glass. In my opinion this screen protector takes away from many of the iPhone 5's great improvements. This thing is thick and heavy. With it installed it feels like a 4s. Not that this is so bad but it is noticeably heavier. You can really tell how heavy it is when you remove it. Back to my light iPhone 5. The protector is so thick that the home button is recessed. I did not like the feel of the included home button attachment nor did it look good. Just looked and felt strange.

I'm glad I tried out but even more glad to have removed it. The ultra thin case however is a keeper. It is so minimal you can't even tell you have a case on. It does scratch easily though. Be careful.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I live in the LA and went by he SGP offices and picked up the glas.tR and ultra slim soft clear case. I'm not a huge fan of screen protectors but read many great reviews and wanted to give it a try. After a few days I have decided that I wanted off my phone. Yes it feels great, just like the iPhone glass but I think I would just rather use the iPhone glass. In my opinion this screen protector takes away from many of the iPhone 5's great improvements. This thing is thick and heavy. With it installed it feels like a 4s. Not that this is so bad but it is noticeably heavier. You can really tell how heavy it is when you remove it. Back to my light iPhone 5. The protector is so thick that the home button is recessed. I did not like the feel of the included home button attachment nor did it look good. Just looked and felt strange.

I'm glad I tried out but even more glad to have removed it. The ultra thin case however is a keeper. It is so minimal you can't even tell you have a case on. It does scratch easily though. Be careful.

I totally agree with you. This screen protector has some heft to it and surely detracts from the slimmer and lighter feel of the iPhone 5. I've gone round and round with myself on trying to go with a naked phone and Apple Care. It drives me a little nutty trying to find the "perfect" case when a new product comes out. Mostly for me it ends up being one of my first purchases that works best. But that's after all the searching and returning.

I had a case with front screen lay down protection from day one and ended up with some scratches on my screen within the two weeks of very careful use without a screen protector. I really couldn't believe it or even imagine where they came from. My phone has not been dropped and is kept in its own pocket in my purse - so no risk of keys hitting it.

This Glas.t.r did cover the scratches and feels great other than the heft but I only ended up with a great install and not a perfect install. So I really did consider taking it off, getting Apple Care and just letting it all go. But my anal personality cannot do it. So the search goes on for the perfect case and most likely I will try to get a perfect install.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

Sorry but what a load of poo. If you honestly believe describing a thin sheet of glass as "thick and heavy" isn't totally silly then there is no hope for you. Now thicker than a plastic film sure, but I am looking at mine now with my BG glass protector and can't really tell it's on. Touching it is a different story but I have no issue with the very thin extra layer (only noticed when actuating the home button of course) to keep the same awesome glass repsonsivness and feel.

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Ha agreed. A 0.4mm of glass is going to weigh nothing in comparison to the whole phone. All but the slimmest of cases (desmay?) will easily weigh more. I actually loved the weight of the 4/4S but no it is not the same (I have 2 of them here with my 5). As for the depressed home button that is valid. I've personally gotten used to it and like how it "guides" my thumb to the button.

Dartanian

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
I like the idea of this screen protector, but I would be worried that something would happen to my phone and I would need to get a new one through Apple. What do you do then... suck it up and buy another $35 protector?

I have owned three previous versions of the iPhone and always have had to swap them out at least once due to issues. I had Zagg protectors for two of them and was able to get brand new protector replacements under the warranty. I don't see the same warranty for the Spigen GLASt.

I admit that I don't like the feel of the film protectors, which is the reason I don't have one on my iP5. However, untill one of the glass protectors can give a similar warranty, I'll likely just keep my phone naked and rely on Apple Care+ if something happens to it.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
Sorry but what a load of poo. If you honestly believe describing a thin sheet of glass as "thick and heavy" isn't totally silly then there is no hope for you. Now thicker than a plastic film sure, but I am looking at mine now with my BG glass protector and can't really tell it's on. Touching it is a different story but I have no issue with the very thin extra layer (only noticed when actuating the home button of course) to keep the same awesome glass repsonsivness and feel.

+1

BG Pure on my phone right now feels so right. I never want to get another screen protector!

However I did get a scratch on day 1 but its not really noticeable.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
As for the depressed home button that is valid. I've personally gotten used to it and like how it "guides" my thumb to the button.

I found myself not likeing my i without the glass protector on there simply for the "guide" reason alone. I got used to and started to like the extra lip on the home button.

For those of you reading this the BG is a far superior product to glass T original, can't speak to the new rounded one. I however, after having 2 glass T's (the first one had the adhesive issue and was replaced) won't be going back to it unless the Pure lets me down in some way but it is better in every aspect so far.

However, untill one of the glass protectors can give a similar warranty, I'll likely just keep my phone naked and rely on Apple Care+ if something happens to it.
The BG Pure has such a replacement offer. I believe a new one will run you $12, a very small price to pay IMHO. PLUS you may be able to take it off and re-apply but that's a bit tricky.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

I totally disagree with you. I have on a naked phone and it adds almost nothing to the weight.

Add this and a case and maybe your at the weight of a NAKED iphone 4S.

----------

I found myself not likeing my i without the glass protector on there simply for the "guide" reason alone. I got used to and started to like the extra lip on the home button.

For those of you reading this the BG is a far superior product to glass T original, can't speak to the new rounded one. I however, after having 2 glass T's (the first one had the adhesive issue and was replaced) won't be going back to it unless the Pure lets me down in some way but it is better in every aspect so far.

The BG Pure has such a replacement offer. I believe a new one will run you $12, a very small price to pay IMHO. PLUS you may be able to take it off and re-apply but that's a bit tricky.

You fail to explain why the BG is better. Having a cheap replacement cost does not make it better, just more desirable.

floss

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2009
is this really better than the Bodyguardz's Pure?

So far there hasn't been any detailed direct comparisons...I'd also like to know this as the Bodyguardz is 1.5x cheaper than the Spigen when applying the coupon code. Specifically, how does the Bodyguardz Pure compare to the Glas.tr in terms of fit, feel, clarity, oil & fingerprint resistance, thickness, and weight? Are they essentially the same quality?

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
So far there hasn't been any detailed direct comparisons...I'd also like to know this as the Bodyguardz is 1.5x cheaper than the Spigen when applying the coupon code. Specifically, how does the Bodyguardz Pure compare to the Glas.tr in terms of fit, feel, clarity, oil & fingerprint resistance, thickness, and weight? Are they essentially the same quality?

I currently have the SPG Glas.t.r. on my phone as I mentioned, I have a good install but not good enough. I have ordered the BG Pure and will report back once I have it on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.