Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad_mini_mockup_hand_front-150x181.jpg
Amid reports of component yield issues holding back launch supplies of the "iPad mini" earlier this month, it was reported that AU Optronics, which had been slated to produce two million display panels during the third quarter, was experiencing issues that resulted in the company providing only 400,000 units over that time period. AU Optronics was said to be responsible for 40% of Apple's target of five million panels for the quarter, with LG Display responsible for the other 60%.

Just a week before Apple is expected to introduce the iPad mini, China Economic News Service now reports that AU Optronics has resolved its production issues and is making up for lost time by boosting its production from two million panels per month to three million at Apple's request.
AU Optronics Corp., a major maker of thin film transistor-liquid crystal display (TFT-LCD) panel in Taiwan, has replaced old photo masks to overcome problems in production of display panels for Apple's new iPad mini, hence motivating Apple to increase order by 50%, according to insiders but not commented upon by AUO.
The new production target is said to be going into effect in "mid-October", although it is not entirely clear how quickly those additional panels will make their way through the supply chain and into finished products.

A launch date for the iPad mini is not yet known, but Apple's history of major iOS device launches suggests that availability could come approximately a week and a half after its October 23 introduction, with Friday, November 2 being a possible debut date. First-generation products have, however, in the past seen longer lead times than new versions of existing products.

Article Link: AU Optronics Reportedly Making up Ground on 'iPad Mini' Display Production

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
I understand Apple will rename the existing product the Maxi iPad after introducing the Mini.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
As is always the case, never buy first gen products. Those that do, I can foresee a TON of "My screen sucks on my iPad Mini" threads. And people complained about the iPad 3 screen :rolleyes:

kernyboy

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2007
you're really proud of yourself huh? so clever. did you come up with that all on your own lol

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
No invitations yet to this supposedly event. Don't disappoint us, Tim. We need that rMBP 13".

hamlin

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I don't have a tablet at the moment but if this is real I might have to get it. The only downside is that I know the price will be double of any other 7 inch tablet. I feel it will be $299-399 minimum.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
As is always the case, never buy first gen products.
It's a bit hard to avoid, isn't it? iPad 1 was a new product category = 1st gen. iPad 2 was a major hardware redesign = 1st gen. iPad 3 was the iPad 2 with a brand new type of display in it = 1st gen. iPad 4 will have that display but the rest will probably be redesigned again = 1st gen.

Or take stuff the iPod Nano, which radically redesigned from the ground up every time a new model comes out. If you're gonna hold out for a tried and true Nano you can NEVER buy one. You wouldn't be able to buy much Apple stuff at all, other than interim iPhone models with "S" attached to their names, speedbumped Macs, the iPod Classic and Shuffle, the Thunderbolt display, and the keyboard+mouse.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I know people are talking about price control, but I see no way this mini is not retina. That would be a major differentiator amongst tightening competition.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
As is always the case, never buy first gen products. Those that do, I can foresee a TON of "My screen sucks on my iPad Mini" threads. And people complained about the iPad 3 screen :rolleyes:

I wouldn't avoid a first gen product. While there will be some issues it rarely is for a majority of the users.

If I wanted an iPad mini (depends on price points) then i would get the first generatoin.

----------

Yeah one is a phone and other is a tablet?

Is this post even serious?

unfortunately....it probably is

shortenjam88

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
The screen won't be retina, as already stated. Maybe we will be surprised, who knows? But with the alleged focus on iBooks during the event I think the display will have to be pretty close to retina, as reading books on the iPad 1/2 was pretty underwhelming, seeing the pixels and all.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
AU make decent screens. I remember them from the PowerBook days.

My pre-unibody MacBook Pro had an AUO screen also. I preferred it to Samsung and LG counterparts.

Can't speak for the company's quality on the whole (I just have no clue).

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006

I don't adhere to this philosophy myself as I think it's just a wee bit paranoid. :D

I mean, sure there are problems. Waiting around for nirvana is gonna be a long.......wait.

chrisdee

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2008

Agree. Dont buy first generation. Might have lots of issues.

Newfiebill

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011
Invites

Was thinking the same, isn't it a bit late to schedule a presentation for the 23th?

It would seem to me that, if this is indeed ture, the invites would have to go no later than Wedneday?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.