Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

retinambp-150x91.jpg
Following yesterday's report from 9to5Mac stating that the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro would be introduced alongside the "iPad mini" at Apple's media event all but confirmed for October 23, AllThingsD now weighs in with its own sources making similar claims.
The smaller iPad may be the star of Apple's as of yet unannounced October 23rd invitation-only event, but it will have an impressive supporting cast.

Sources familiar with Apple's plans tell AllThingsD that the company plans to unveil a smaller version of its MacBook Pro with Retina Display as well.
The report summarizes expectations for the new machine, which include a 2560x1600 display, same thin profile as the 15-inch model, and all-flash storage. Pricing remains unknown, but if the 15-inch model is any indication consumers can expect a significant price premium for the Retina 13-inch model compared to the thicker non-Retina models that will undoubtedly remain available.

AllThingsD has an excellent track record when it comes to rumors regarding Apple's media event plans, and thus it does indeed appear that Apple's media event will focus on several different products next week.

Article Link: More Claims of 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Coming at Next Week's Media Event

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Great, more variations on notebooks, 'cause we need more Apple portables like I need a hole in the head.

How's that 2 year old Mac Pro revamp? Oh, this is a "post-pc era", yeeeet, Apple is still making notebook's. Right.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
Anyone else thinks it's bad that apple is making more and more different products?

Until now, their product lines were really clear about what is what.
1 ipad, 1 macbook air for each size, 1 macbook pro for each size etc.
Now it's all messed up.
It's nothing bad, but tbh, who would buy the simple macbook pro when they can choose between air and retina pro, depending on their budget?

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Great, more variations on notebooks, 'cause we need more Apple portables like I need a hole in the head.

How's that 2 year old Mac Pro revamp? Oh, this is a "post-pc era", yeeeet, Apple is still making notebook's. Right.

1) Why do people always take a rumor of product X to mean that Apple is not also working on product Y?

2) "Post-PC" era does not mean that PCs are obsolete or no longer used, just that they are no longer the singular focus of the computing market.

Laco

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
If this does not have a decent dedicated graphics card I would not buy it.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Anyone else thinks it's bad that apple is making more and more different products?

Until now, their product lines were really clear about what is what.
1 ipad, 1 macbook air for each size, 1 macbook pro for each size etc.
Now it's all messed up.
It's nothing bad, but tbh, who would buy the simple macbook pro when they can choose between air and retina pro, depending on their budget?

I think it will be less of an issue in the future when Retina displays are cheaper and it will become a standard across all computers.

gregwyattjr

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
I don't like the fragmentation of the retina MacBook Pros and regular MacBook Pros. If you're going to update a product, update it. Don't just introduce a more expensive version and give the entry-level product a spec bump.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.