Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bast0473

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2012
Not true. I bought an AT&T model "device only" for the full price yesterday and didn't need to provide any information. It is fully unlocked (I got the "congratulations" message when I plugged it into iTunes to copy my music library).

It isn't the "official" unlocked phone, but as long as you buy it "Device Only" from Apple it will be locked. Actually, at least for now all Verizon models are also unlocked, even those bought on contract.

That's great but where did you buy it then ? I'm from France and I tried to buy the iPhone 5 16Go on the ATT website and I can't. Did you just buy in a store or online ?

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
If you are with Telcel, you must buy a GSM model
Iusacell go for Verizon model.

I bought the AT&T model. It is confirmed that Telcel & Movistar will use the same LTE bands that this model will support. Both models should work with all of the carriers 3G GSM networks, however it is good to have compatibility with LTE if deployed soon.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
That's great but where did you buy it then ? I'm from France and I tried to buy the iPhone 5 16Go on the ATT website and I can't. Did you just buy in a store or online ?

I bought it in an Apple retail store. However, this was before they started the online reservation system. There is almost no in-store stock anymore.

If you are from France, you might try a Verizon store, as all the iPhones are unlocked and it will work equally well as the AT&T version (better, actually, since it will support some LTE networks in the UK and Germany).

Unfortunately, right now the only reliable way to buy the phone in the US is through the online system, which requires you to open a wireless account (or supply your existing account information) in order to make a purchase.

If you will be visiting Canada, that may be an option, as the unlocked phone is for sale there already.

----------

lucky you, here in nyc they have a policy to not sell iphone 5's w.o a contract at all.

Is that at an AT&T/Verizon/Sprint store or an Apple store? If the latter, that must be new as I bought my phone device only from the Grand Central store on the 22nd. That was before they put in place the online reservation system, though.

----------

on Oct 8th, since I was suddenly eligible to upgrade my line, I no longer had the option to pay full price for an iphone 5 online. I needed more iphones so I went ahead and bought another phone using that early upgrade. the problem is, now when I try to repeat the same trick as before, I get this message:looks like this gig is up once you become eligible :(

Have you tried ordering from the AT&T online store? I had pre-ordered an upgrade from Apple and was able to place an order for a full-priced unit from AT&T's online store after I had activated my upgraded phone (it wouldn't let me do so before). I then managed to find a full priced unit in the store (before they started the reservation system), and I canceled my full-priced order with AT&T before it shipped. However, AT&T did pre-authorize my card for the full purchase price so apparently the order would have gone through.

stunn3r

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
If you find it in an Apple Store without reserving online (you must choose a plan with a contract online), you should be able to get it as a device only.

If you don't care about LTE, it should not matter if you get AT&T or Verizon model as they both support the same 3G GSM bands.

AT&T version only supports LTE on AT&T in the US and also in Canada.
Verizon version only supports LTE on Verizon in the US, and also in Japan and some carriers in Europe.

All Verizon models are unlocked for GSM (even if bought with contract), and AT&T models are unlocked if you buy them contract-free from Apple.

Carrier stores would most likely not sell you a phone without a plan, even if you pay full price without a contract, so you'll have to buy it and then call them and cancel your plan (you'll probably have to pay first month and activation fee). Also, if you buy it from AT&T, then it should be locked even if you pay full price and you'd have to contact AT&T to unlock it (or buy a cheap unlock on eBay).

I dont care about LTE, I just want an off contract GSM phone, I'll unlock it somehow, I just dont want to spend a penny more than $649+taxes .. is there any store in washington apple or at&t or verizon from where I can get it ..

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
Have you tried ordering from the AT&T online store? I had pre-ordered an upgrade from Apple and was able to place an order for a full-priced unit from AT&T's online store after I had activated my upgraded phone (it wouldn't let me do so before). I then managed to find a full priced unit in the store (before they started the reservation system), and I canceled my full-priced order with AT&T before it shipped. However, AT&T did pre-authorize my card for the full purchase price so apparently the order would have gone through.
interesting. looks like I'm able to buy the iphone full priced, no-commitment from AT&T website... the only problem is no option for in-store pickup, so it'd take 14-21 days before it even ships :|

not a bad option for those who don't mind waiting, but time is against some folks like me :p

*sigh* I wish Apple website would let me do this :|

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
I dont care about LTE, I just want an off contract GSM phone, I'll unlock it somehow, I just dont want to spend a penny more than $649+taxes .. is there any store in washington apple or at&t or verizon from where I can get it ..
I just spoke with AT&T about buying a no-commitment, full-priced iphone 5. They said you cannot do so via the website, but you can do so in-store (pending they have any in stock, of course)

stunn3r

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
I just spoke with AT&T about buying a no-commitment, full-priced iphone 5. They said you cannot do so via the website, but you can do so in-store (pending they have any in stock, of course)

Thats great .. This way I wont have to pay for that one month usage which they force you while trying to buy it online.

I'll call there washington store tomorrow to check. will post what they'll say.

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008

It will be the discretion of the store manager and stocking level. There is no incentive to sell you an off contract iPhone when the same iPhone can be sold with a 2-year contract which will net in over $2000+ profit. :p

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
It will be the discretion of the store manager and stocking level. There is no incentive to sell you an off contract iPhone when the same iPhone can be sold with a 2-year contract which will net in over $2000+ profit. :p
was just relaying what was told me, but that makes sense too.

rit

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
Not true. I bought an AT&T model "device only" for the full price yesterday and didn't need to provide any information. It is fully unlocked (I got the "congratulations" message when I plugged it into iTunes to copy my music library).

It isn't the "official" unlocked phone, but as long as you buy it "Device Only" from Apple it will be locked. Actually, at least for now all Verizon models are also unlocked, even those bought on contract.

Good to hear, I am just struggling to buy one, I wanted to know what did you say to the Apple people and did you pay some extra to after $649 ?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Good to hear, I am just struggling to buy one, I wanted to know what did you say to the Apple people and did you pay some extra to after $649 ?

I just told them I wanted to buy the device only, with no contract. I paid $749 for the $32GB version, so if you get the 16GB it will be $649.

rit

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
I just told them I wanted to buy the device only, with no contract. I paid $749 for the $32GB version, so if you get the 16GB it will be $649.

Oh nice, was it out of the box unlocked right? And did you paid something extra meaning any charge/fee

vbtwo31984

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
I read all the posts here and something does not add up.
In europe we use GSM not CDMA so how is possible that you guys advise us (europeans, i am in the netherlands right now) to purchase the Verizon version while that is a CDMA version???
I do not see it working in europe...
what am i not considering?

Verizon phone works both on CDMA and GSM. It supports all the same GSM frequencies like the GSM-only phone in addition to supporting CDMA and LTE.

Abdu

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2012
It was Grand Central in NY. However, that was before they had the online reservation system.

Hey I'm trying to get one too device only. I called one store the guy said I can and I don't have to be a verizon customer, I called another store he said you have to be a customer!
And what did the online reservation system change?

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
The problem now is that trying to get a device only in-store is impossible with the reservation system.

If anyone knows a way around this, I'd love to hear it.

jekyoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago
I find it weird that no one talks about the unlocking services that you can get on eBay. I bought my iPhone 5 on contract with AT&T and just got it unlocked via eBay for less than $5. I was skeptical that this would work but it had so many purchases and I could easily file a dispute if it didn't work. Once I provided my IMEI and they unlocked it, all I had to do was restore my iPhone 5 and I got the "Congrats, your iPhone has been unlocked" screen.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania

Verizon one would likely have a better resale since it supports international bands fwiw. Whenever I've sold my iPhones in the past, I always got better prices from international buyers. Don't know if you care, but that's worth considering.

bluemonkeyguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
Verizon one would likely have a better resale since it supports international bands fwiw. Whenever I've sold my iPhones in the past, I always got better prices from international buyers. Don't know if you care, but that's worth considering.

Keep in mind that if you ever need LTE from a GSM provider, it wouldn't work for the unlocked Verizon phone.

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
Keep in mind that if you ever need LTE from a GSM provider, it wouldn't work for the unlocked Verizon phone.

You are wrong, if you look at the iP5 LTE matrix.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

You'll see VZW model share all three LTE bands in EU and Asia (850/1800/2100). The ATT model doesn't. And therefore, the VZW is a better phone for international use.

Now the tricky bit, find an off contract VZW iP5.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Hey I'm trying to get one too device only. I called one store the guy said I can and I don't have to be a verizon customer, I called another store he said you have to be a customer!
And what did the online reservation system change?

The online reservation system soaked up most of the stock, meaning there is almost nothing in the store that hasn't been reserved. Unlike last year, you actually purchase the phone online and pick it up the next day, and it is extremely difficult to purchase the phone at the no-commitment price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.