Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applestoreapp.jpg
Apple Retail Store customers will soon be able to pay for product in-store using the new Passbook feature of iOS 6, according to a report from 9to5Mac. It appears to be an expansion of the self-checkout option that was added to the Apple Store app last year.
While Apple’s EasyPay software should be ready for Passbook this month, some sources noted that the current EasyPay hardware, at least at some retail stores, may not be capable of scanning iOS device displays. Presumably, Apple has a solution for this in the works.

Also, Apple’s plans for rolling out the consumer-facing Apple Store app update to support Passbook-based Apple Store cards is currently unclear. But with Apple preparing to seed software to its stores that interacts with Passbook on customer iPhones and iPod touches, we believe that the feature is close to being a rolled out.
It is likely, though not confirmed, that customers will now be able to pay for Macs and iPads in-store with their iTunes account payment information. This would be a change from the current system where users can only purchase select accessories using the EasyPay self-checkout system within the Apple Store app.

This past June, Apple reported having 400 million active accounts in iTunes with credit cards attached. It's easy to see how Passbook could be expanded from its current feature set to include payments to third party providers in competition with Square and other such services.

Article Link: Apple Retail Store to Embrace Passbook for In-Store Payments

Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I was wondering when they'd implement something like this. IMO Passbook's sweetspot is something like Starbucks currently offers - and what I think Apple should adopt. A retailer-specific loyalty card - either with the ability to be pre-loaded or attached to a credit/debit card - that each time you use/buy from that retailer, you accumulate rewards. Great way to drive traffic to your specific retailer but also build a great customer relationship.

BBY should jump on this asap. Their rewards program is one reason why I used to always shop there - if they could beef it up using Passbook, they might be able to draw more people back in.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
This is great news! I bet a lot of people will go to the Apple Store and buy stuff just to use the new capability! Apple is the best!

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
I hope this is available in the UK, with the regular availability of iTunes cards on sale (I've just bought 2x £25 cards for £40 today) it's like a permanent 20% discount for the crafty shopper.

Bilbo63

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
The cineplex app for theatres in Canada will work with passbook, but it's still a hassle in my opinion.

First buying the tickets through their app is a long drawn-out ordeal. A single "buy via iTunes" button would be lovely. Secondly, when arriving at the theatre, I still have to wait in line to use a kiosk to have the code on my phone scanned, then wait while it prints a paper receipt that I show the attendant at the entrance. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Give me a one button purchase to buy my tickets. I'll enter a passcode to prove it's me and I'm done. Better yet, let Apple look after the financial transaction.

I might even considering registering my credit card with Cineplex so I do not have to repeatedly enter it in. I'd rather not let too many companies keep my card on file, so my vote is to let Apple look after it.

Make it quick and easy, and I'll watch more movies at the theatre and even buy their outrageously priced popcorn.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
My meth dealer just starting using passbook. Makes getting in and out of the hood with my score so much more convenient.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
This is a good idea, not only to promote the use of Passbook but because it's awkward to just walk out of the store with no bag or receipt. After you pay, Passbook should display a receipt that you can show an Apple employee on your way out.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I'm starting to get worried that increased usage of Passbook, without further security, is going to increase theft of iPhones, and along with it perhaps increase danger to anyone carrying one. Now the thief doesn't just get a phone, but all kinds of private information from Passbook. There might be things they could spend directly, like Apple Store cards. But what about the associated geolocation aware alerts? Now a thief could know where you shop, or even what bank your money is in.

And I agree with Bilbo63, it's still awkward to use, needing a separate app for everything, and not having purchases just go through your iTunes account.

TimAlia

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2007
Yo dogg, we heard you like iPhones, so now you can purchase yo iPhone with yo iphone!

Xzibit.png

Tannerjr

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2008
Fingers Crossed

Here's hoping we can suddenly use iTunes credits to buy MORE APPLE HARDWARE! ;)

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
One would think, considering Passbook is Apple's own service, that it would have been ready to roll with the launch of iOS 6 for Apple's retail store usage :rolleyes:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
The cineplex app for theatres in Canada will work with passbook, but it's still a hassle in my opinion.

First buying the tickets through their app is a long drawn-out ordeal. A single "buy via iTunes" button would be lovely. Secondly, when arriving at the theatre, I still have to wait in line to use a kiosk to have the code on my phone scanned, then wait while it prints a paper receipt that I show the attendant at the entrance. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Give me a one button purchase to buy my tickets. I'll enter a passcode to prove it's me and I'm done. Better yet, let Apple look after the financial transaction.

I might even considering registering my credit card with Cineplex so I do not have to repeatedly enter it in. I'd rather not let too many companies keep my card on file, so my vote is to let Apple look after it.

Make it quick and easy, and I'll watch more movies at the theatre and even buy their outrageously priced popcorn.

My wife and I have been using passbook a lot for the movies. Use Fandango here in the US - buy the tickets (which is simple as my card is attached to my fandango account), pull the tickets into passbook and the ticket taker scans it. Still prints the tickets which he/she promptly tears and gives to us but very convenient overall.

Thus far my experiences with passbook have been pretty stellar - lots of Starbucks and movie-going! We also saved some money on groceries at target with their mobile coupons.

----------

I'm starting to get worried that increased usage of Passbook, without further security, is going to increase theft of iPhones, and along with it perhaps increase danger to anyone carrying one. Now the thief doesn't just get a phone, but all kinds of private information from Passbook. There might be things they could spend directly, like Apple Store cards. But what about the associated geolocation aware alerts? Now a thief could know where you shop, or even what bank your money is in.

And I agree with Bilbo63, it's still awkward to use, needing a separate app for everything, and not having purchases just go through your iTunes account.

Which is why you lock your phone - set it to wipe after 10 failed code attempts (all data is backed up to iCloud anyways so you're safe there), and if you realize it is lost/stolen you have plenty of options via Find My iPhone to either track it or kill it.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
Seriously, I feel like Apple dropped the ball on this one.

On a side note, does anyone with knowledge of barcode scanners know what kind of barcodes your typical scanner in a store can read? Is it just 1d barcodes, or can it read the data matrix and pdf417 kind as well?

Seeing as that's what most of the Passbook ones are, I'm curious to know how the adoption of this will do.

mex4eric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Ottawa, Canada

Sounds bizarre! I'll wait until it gets better. i.e. charge to Apple, show your phone to the attendant.

MaxDrago

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2009
In Store EasyPays are iPod Touch's w/ Camera...

I'm not sure how Apple's retail locations would have a hardware limitation with their EasyPays. The iPod's currently in use have a camera on them, and the POS shell they're in has an opening for the camera. Optical reading of barcodes or 2D codes via a camera isn't new.
The laser scanners as far as I've seen are standard scanners, not 2D, so adopting an optical camera based approach seems the most straight forward method, even if it's only for Passbook.

Note: Most laser scanners can't read anything off a reflective screen, like most smartphones... some 2D scanners can, but get radically more expensive to get that perk... which makes cameras ideal.

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself

Consumers don't care about security. There are risks associated with pretty much everything you do. Consumers just want the best possible shopping experience. An iPhone coupled with remarkable Passbook technology delivers an unparalleled shopping experience that every serious business in the world will need to embrace.

Last edited by a moderator:

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I've always thought they should invent a payment device that is fun to use. So people will use it just to use it every time they pass by a Starbucks.

Like a nike cancer awareness bracelet with rfid for mobile payments.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Consumers don't care about security. There are risks associated with pretty much everything you do. Consumers just want the best possible shopping experience. An iPhone coupled with remarkable Passbook technology delivers an unparalleled shopping experience that every serious business in the world will need to embrace.

Speak for yourself. I absolutely care about security.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Here's hoping we can suddenly use iTunes credits to buy MORE APPLE HARDWARE! ;)

Unlikely. You can't use them with the app now.

Also they aren't likely to change that you can't buy serialized products with self pay for security reasons.

The passbook function will likely be more of an electronic store gift card thing, wich is basically what Starbucks does. And yes they can scan your iPhone display with their easy pay things.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Can't understand why the Apple Retail Stores didn't join Passbook from day 1 when iOS6 was released. Mistrust is probably not a factor here. Was it incompetence then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.