Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Alright, this is a hard one for me. Both of these phones are top notch in the specs department. I think it may come down to windows phone 8 vs Android 4.1 Jellybean.

I would like to know opinions on which one you would prefer and why. I have been racking my brain for a while on this so I thought I would ask. One of these will be my next phone! Thanks!

(I can put links if anyone needs the details on these two phones but I figure since they are so popular it will be ok.)

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
The 920 for me. I'm sure the HTC is a fine phone, but I prefer Windows phone over android. Either way you will have a nice device.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The only reason I would choose Lumia 920 is for the camera. Any other reason go for the One X.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Thanks. Either camera here will be more than enough for me.

And windows over android is hard because I'm feeling windows is really nice and all but I can't help feeling that its almost too simple and limiting. What if I have 10 tweets and 5 texts and 3 calls? I can see them all at a glance but how do I interact with them? Go into each app? That's no fun. Hopefully Microsoft will tackle that at the end of the month.

I can change just about anything in android and only the tile size and color in windows phone. But would I want to change the things in so does phone? Maybe, maybe not. Nokia's hardware is just so nice. HTC's is REALLY close too.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
One X opinion

The camera on the one X isn't the greatest to be honest, the 4S I had prior to it was better and the iPhone 5 I have alongside it is a lot better. In perfect conditions, yes it can produce good results, but often they are quite disappointing.

Music playback on the one X with beats setting can produce really great results, especially if you pair it up with beats headphones, and even if you use other brands the beats works well.

Battery life has improved with the one X but is still its achilles heel. 3-4 hours screen on time max.

Speed comparison between iphone 5 & one X (I cant compare 920 as I don't have one)

Jelly Bean on the One X has produced a very speedy handset and it now benchmarks 6500 on Quadrant which is mightily impressive (beating Note 2 and SGS3) , but i did a side by side comparison, launching apps both on my iphone 5 and HTC one X and while I never had any complaints with its performance, the iPhone 5 did beat it out on every test I threw at it. All apps loaded the small bit faster and the frame-rate even on THD 3 optimised games was still below that of the iPhone 5.

So even though it is clocked faster and has more cores it still can't beat the iPhone 5. How this stacks up with the 920 is ? but seeing as Windows Phone 8 is very optimised I cant help but wonder if despite only having a dual core it will give the one X a run for its money.

Memory management.. Despite having 1GB.

There is a lot of detritus in HTC Sense even with unbranded stock device. From task manager I see that I routinely run close to filling up ram and that is with only weather clock and music widget. (routinely 750-850mb uses) It really treads quite close to the edge of that 1gb ram, that being said I've never actually maxed it out.

I imagine the 920 with 1GB on W8 mobile will be much better at managing memory.

other bits..

I love HTC's car setup. Very handy if you put your phone in a cradle and use it with bluetooth in your car.

But same token Nokia Drive is excellent in its own right too.

If I had a choice again the 920 would tempt me, wireless charging and the camera look excellent, but the windows marketplace and gaming on windows mobile has always left me wanting. I did have a Lumia 800 for three months, but things might have improved in the last 8 months.

I'm keeping my HTC One X for now, but may be persuaded to sell it and buy a 920 myself.

Last edited:

Trungy

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
Boston
I'd go with the HTC One X+. It was actually on top of my wish-list up until Sunday when I found out that LG is probably coming out with a Nexus phone.

I haven't tried a Windows phone, and I tell ya.. the Lumia 920 REALLY interested in me. But I feel like I've already heavily invested on the Android platform with all the apps that I've purchased.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Thanks. Either camera here will be more than enough for me.

And windows over android is hard because I'm feeling windows is really nice and all but I can't help feeling that its almost too simple and limiting. What if I have 10 tweets and 5 texts and 3 calls? I can see them all at a glance but how do I interact with them? Go into each app? That's no fun. Hopefully Microsoft will tackle that at the end of the month.

I can change just about anything in android and only the tile size and color in windows phone. But would I want to change the things in so does phone? Maybe, maybe not. Nokia's hardware is just so nice. HTC's is REALLY close too.

I haven't had a good experience with my one HTC phone.

The other person complained that it sounded like I was in a tunnel -all the time-

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
For me personally, it's no contest. 920 all the way. The camera is enough to seal the deal, but on top of that the nokia maps look promising and simply no one else can even come close to nokia's build quality. I'm looking forward to owning a phone that isn't dainty. I'm sick of the "must be thinner and lighter" thing every year. I don't want a brick, but come on, the iPhone 5 feels way too off to me. Way too light, almost flimsy feeling, I feel like if I squeezed it would buckle like an empty soda can.

I love iOS, I know that for sure. But I want to give WP8 a fair chance, and I'll be doing it with the 920. Now let's get some solid release dates and pricing info!

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
The camera on the one X isn't the greatest to be honest, the 4S I had prior to it was better and the iPhone 5 I have alongside it is a lot better. In perfect conditions, yes it can produce good results, but often they are quite disappointing.

Music playback on the one X with beats setting can produce really great results, especially if you pair it up with beats headphones, and even if you use other brands the beats works well.

Battery life has improved with the one X but is still its achilles heel. 3-4 hours screen on time max.

Speed comparison between iphone 5 & one X (I cant compare 920 as I don't have one)

Jelly Bean on the One X has produced a very speedy handset and it now benchmarks 6500 on Quadrant which is mightily impressive (beating Note 2 and SGS3) , but i did a side by side comparison, launching apps both on my iphone 5 and HTC one X and while I never had any complaints with its performance, the iPhone 5 did beat it out on every test I threw at it. All apps loaded the small bit faster and the frame-rate even on THD 3 optimised games was still below that of the iPhone 5.

So even though it is clocked faster and has more cores it still can't beat the iPhone 5. How this stacks up with the 920 is ? but seeing as Windows Phone 8 is very optimised I cant help but wonder if despite only having a dual core it will give the one X a run for its money.

Memory management.. Despite having 1GB.

There is a lot of detritus in HTC Sense even with unbranded stock device. From task manager I see that I routinely run close to filling up ram and that is with only weather clock and music widget. (routinely 750-850mb uses) It really treads quite close to the edge of that 1gb ram, that being said I've never actually maxed it out.

I imagine the 920 with 1GB on W8 mobile will be much better at managing memory.

other bits..

I love HTC's car setup. Very handy if you put your phone in a cradle and use it with bluetooth in your car.

But same token Nokia Drive is excellent in its own right too.

If I had a choice again the 920 would tempt me, wireless charging and the camera look excellent, but the windows marketplace and gaming on windows mobile has always left me wanting. I did have a Lumia 800 for three months, but things might have improved in the last 8 months.

I'm keeping my HTC One X for now, but may be persuaded to sell it and buy a 920 myself.

Thanks for all the info!! Hopefully the one x plus will beat some of the issues you had on the one x.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
I'd go with the HTC One X+. It was actually on top of my wish-list up until Sunday when I found out that LG is probably coming out with a Nexus phone.

I haven't tried a Windows phone, and I tell ya.. the Lumia 920 REALLY interested in me. But I feel like I've already heavily invested on the Android platform with all the apps that I've purchased.

The LG Nexus or any new nexus for that matter has my eye as well. I really would not prefer sense.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
For me personally, it's no contest. 920 all the way. The camera is enough to seal the deal, but on top of that the nokia maps look promising and simply no one else can even come close to nokia's build quality. I'm looking forward to owning a phone that isn't dainty. I'm sick of the "must be thinner and lighter" thing every year. I don't want a brick, but come on, the iPhone 5 feels way too off to me. Way too light, almost flimsy feeling, I feel like if I squeezed it would buckle like an empty soda can.

I love iOS, I know that for sure. But I want to give WP8 a fair chance, and I'll be doing it with the 920. Now let's get some solid release dates and pricing info!

Agreed! I'll take a little heft in my phone. I'm just a little concerned about the WP8 market place and the tiles being my only UI choice.

----------

Htc One X+ as in that epic 5 inch 1080p phone?

thats the one to get

No the one x plus is in the same body as the one x. Internally, it's got quad core, bigger battery, more memory and better front camera. It also has an all black back plate.

But the 5 inch HTC sounds like a beast. Might be too big for me though.

----------

Its coming out October 29th apparently so you wont have to wait long

Yep, I'm excited. It's up there on my list with the one x and the lumia.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
The One X + is like the Samsung Skyrocket and such. Great specs but will have poor updates I think. I'm not sure if it will be any better in this aspect than the original One X.

I would never buy a + version of any phone in android.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
The One X + is like the Samsung Skyrocket and such. Great specs but will have poor updates I think. I'm not sure if it will be any better in this aspect than the original One X.

I would never buy a + version of any phone in android.

The slow updates are a big negative. At least it already comes with jelly bean. Although sense is on top...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The slow updates are a big negative. At least it already comes with jelly bean. Although sense is on top...

They are stripping back Sense, its really smooth on JB.

Why people rip on Sense is a big ? Especially as a couple of the biggest selling android apps, fancy widgets & beautiful widgets basically just try to replicate sense widgets and still fail to match HTC's.

The One X is a great phone with compromises, much the same as the SGS3 & iPhone 5 are great phones but have compromises too.

The only thing I'd drop aesthetically from the One X+ is the hideous red capacitive buttons.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
They are stripping back Sense, its really smooth on JB.

Why people rip on Sense is a big ? Especially as a couple of the biggest selling android apps, fancy widgets & beautiful widgets basically just try to replicate sense widgets and still fail to match HTC's.

The One X is a great phone with compromises, much the same as the SGS3 & iPhone 5 are great phones but have compromises too.

The only thing I'd drop aesthetically from the One X+ is the hideous red capacitive buttons.

I think I just prefer stock Android.

And in the US they took the red accents away from the back and front so you got your wish. :)

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
I believe that's the Incredible X.

----------

Only thing that would hold me back from a Windows 8 phone is the lack of apps and restrictive UI. I was literally shocked when I found out you couldn't take a screenshot capture on Windows phone 7. I mean WTF.

I completely understand this. I think the apps will catch up though and from what I can tell the big major apps are already there.

The UI is definitely restrictive compared other platforms but it is fresh, new, smooth, intuitive and fast. Sometimes it makes me wonder if I need more than that.

Of course the real draw here is the beautiful hardware that Nokia has put together. Makes me want it so badly.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
My concern with Windows phone 8 phones is battery life. Those live tiles moving constantly and updating every couple of minutes or hours should make a big impact on battery life.

Does anyone know? Did Nokia say how long battery life is on the 920?

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
My concern with Windows phone 8 phones is battery life. Those live tiles moving constantly and updating every couple of minutes or hours should make a big impact on battery life.

Does anyone know? Did Nokia say how long battery life is on the 920?

From what I have read WP8 is very good with battery life.

http://m.wpcentral.com/att-nokia-lumia-920-gets-slight-battery-and-talk-time-downgrade

The talk time did get lowered for US models though.

----------

http://www.phonedog.com/2012/10/15/why-i-m-wary-of-switching-to-windows-phone-8/

Great article that describes some of my big concerns with WP. Mainly the notifications.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
Go to windowsphone.com and look through the marketplace and see if you can find replacements for the apps you like. WP8 will have screenshot capability. As far as live tiles and battery life WP should be as good or better than compatible android devices. To me the only clear advantages android has over WP8 are app selection and notifications. App selction will improve as market share grows and I am willing to deal with the notifications since I prefer the rest of the platform.

gladesmellzgood

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2010
El Paso
I would say Lumia 920 all the way! Mainly because of the Sense UI on the One X+, while it has it's advantages I hate how they ruined some of the great things Google did with ICS and JB. Window's Phone is pretty restrictive and the lack of apps is discerning but I think Nokia and Microsoft are trying to battle the latter. Hopefully my major gripe with Window's Phone gets addressed which is notifications. Although I guess that's what the live tiles are for.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Go to windowsphone.com and look through the marketplace and see if you can find replacements for the apps you like. WP8 will have screenshot capability. As far as live tiles and battery life WP should be as good or better than compatible android devices. To me the only clear advantages android has over WP8 are app selection and notifications. App selction will improve as market share grows and I am willing to deal with the notifications since I prefer the rest of the platform.

Thanks for the input. I agree the app selection will get better. I have looked and most of the apps are there, some missing etc nike+, wells fargo. I am hoping notifications are given some type of center or hub at the WP8 event on the 29th.

IMO some other advantages of Android are the customization. The possibilities are endless if I get bored. But what can I do if I get bored with windows phone? I guess android will get boring no matter how many customizations I make? I don't know.

I am very interested and the hardware has me sold. I usually say software > hardware though.

----------

I would say Lumia 920 all the way! Mainly because of the Sense UI on the One X+, while it has it's advantages I hate how they ruined some of the great things Google did with ICS and JB. Window's Phone is pretty restrictive and the lack of apps is discerning but I think Nokia and Microsoft are trying to battle the latter. Hopefully my major gripe with Window's Phone gets addressed which is notifications. Although I guess that's what the live tiles are for.

Yeah, I don't like sense either. Actually, I have decided to go with the LG Nexus since this post. But that beautiful Nokia hardware just keeps pulling me back.

The UI restrictions are what what worry me. That is what got stale with iOS.

gladesmellzgood

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2010
El Paso
Yeah, I don't like sense either. Actually, I have decided to go with the LG Nexus since this post. But that beautiful Nokia hardware just keeps pulling me back.

The UI restrictions are what what worry me. That is what got stale with iOS.

Yea that's a valid point! Although I think with time the UI will get better because of live tiles and how they can be implemented. Also the LG Nexus looks like a winner! Although I'll be keeping my Galaxy Nexus till it breaks!

----------

I plan on switching back and forth from the iPhone 5 and the Lumia 920. Although I think I will use the Lumia more since that camera looks to be amazing and I am a photo junkie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.