Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Apple added dedicated Notes and Reminders web apps to iCloud.com last month, the web-based implementation of Reminders left out at least one important feature: shared reminders.

OS X Mountain Lion users have been able to share reminders via the native Reminders app as of OS X 10.8.2, but Windows users and others needing to access iCloud via the service's website have been unable to set up new shared reminders. The feature is also missing from the Reminders app in iOS 6.

icloud_com_shared_reminders.jpg
Within the past several days, Apple has apparently rolled out shared reminders for the Reminders web app on iCloud.com, bringing the functionality closer to par with the native Mac app. There appears to be no word yet on whether the functionality will be making its way into the iOS 6 Reminders app, but it does appear that Apple is heeding at least some calls for making the feature available across platforms.

(Thanks, Arthur!)

Article Link: Apple Adds Shared Reminders to iCloud.com Web App

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Is shared reminders available for iOS? I never knew about this feature.

Edit: Never-mind, read further into the article.

qlam

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
I use this all the time to share reminders between my girlfriend and I. We use it for grocery lists so we can divide and conquer.

Is shared reminders available for iOS? I never knew about this feature.

Edit: Never-mind, read further into the article.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
Only problem is Reminders are not possible to get Push notifications are they? To test, make a reminder on your iPad. Now set the reminder to go off in 5-10 minutes with an alarm. It will only go off on the original device the reminder was made on. That is unless you open the Reminders app on the iPhone and let in sync up(Fetch). I've always thought this was a flaw from it being perfect. Anyone else notice this?

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I don't recall that you could ever change permissions on reminder lists to share them with others in iOS. It was always on icloud.com. It would certainly be nice if you could manage them in iOS. I'm happy to see they finally put it back in icloud.com - I'm a little concerned that it ever went away.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Only problem is Reminders are not possible to get Push notifications are they? To test, make a reminder on your iPad. Now set the reminder to go off in 5-10 minutes with an alarm. It will only go off on the original device the reminder was made on. That is unless you open the Reminders app on the iPhone and let in sync up(Fetch). I've always thought this was a flaw from it being perfect. Anyone else notice this?

Maybe that's a way to prevent abuse of the feature? Imagine a spammer adding your email address to a reminder list that tells you of "deals" that no one cares about, etc?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
What? Apple actually updated a feature without waiting a full year for iOS 7 to make this a "new feature"? Say it ain't so!

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France

Yeah, the whole Reminders implementation, at least for iOS, is pretty half-baked. I could write an essay about the many ways in which it could be improved...except that I'm too busy not writing essays about stock iOS apps (but trust me, I use this app daily, have six shared lists, and often find myself cursing at it because of its many shortcomings).

I don't recall that you could ever change permissions on reminder lists to share them with others in iOS. It was always on icloud.com. It would certainly be nice if you could manage them in iOS. I'm happy to see they finally put it back in icloud.com - I'm a little concerned that it ever went away.

You're correct, sharing was never available via the iOS app (looks like the article was updated), which is kinda pathetic, in my opinion, seeing as there are "share" buttons throughout iOS for just about everything else.

Maybe that's a way to prevent abuse of the feature? Imagine a spammer adding your email address to a reminder list that tells you of "deals" that no one cares about, etc?

That wouldn't be possible as shared Reminders lists are similar to Calendar invites wherein the recipient has to "accept" or "subscribe" to the list before it shows up on their device.

leerichards1

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012

Worked fine for me. Set up reminder on my iPad for 10 minutes hence, didn't touch my iPhone at all. 10 minutes later, reminder appeared on iPhone and iPad.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I use this all the time to share reminders between my girlfriend and I. We use it for grocery lists so we can divide and conquer.

There are apps specifically for that in the App Store, my flatmate an I use one called AnyList. I reccomend it.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010

Must be some problem with your setup because it works for me. Reminders are pushed between iOS devices and my Mac as well. In fact, after creating the Reminder on my iPad with your test instructions, I never even woke my iPhone from sleep and it still alerted me. Plus my Mac popped up the alert in Notification Center. So not only do you not have to open your Reminders app, you don't even have to wake your iPhone.

Really love iCloud ever since Apple nailed down the integration with the release of iOS6 and Mountain Lion.

ScoutDad

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah, as others have stated it will push them across devices, but I've found they sometimes get outta of sync. This recently happened on my iPad when I updated to iOS 6. The cure for me was to turn off reminders on the iPad under iCloud and delete all the existing ones on the iPad. I then turned them back on and all my reminders on icloud came back down to my iPad and notifications started working again. It think this resets everything and allows them to start talking to each other again. Good Luck!

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Sharing of iCloud services seems to be half-baked all over.

I wish that when you turned off alerts for Shared Calendars, it actually turns them off. As it is, I can turn them on and off all day long with no difference. I get an alert every time a friend changes something on their calendar.

Please for the love of all that is sane, let me stop the alerts!

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
This is good, but more importantly on the topic of iCloud.com site:

When will they bring threaded email display, like the OS X Mail.app and iOS 6 Mail.app?

Gmail.com has had it since 2004 or something; it's not impossible.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Still don't know how to get notes to work without signing up for a new account.

Right. Because there's no way to do that. Why wouldn't you sign up for an account and just be done with it?

----

Shared reminders has been great for keeping a shopping list between my roommate and I.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
I generally think Reminders is junk, and only use it when Siri demands, but I'm glad they're working on it. A solid, fully integrated list manager would be a great addition.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
Yeah, as others have stated it will push them across devices, but I've found they sometimes get outta of sync. This recently happened on my iPad when I updated to iOS 6. The cure for me was to turn off reminders on the iPad under iCloud and delete all the existing ones on the iPad. I then turned them back on and all my reminders on icloud came back down to my iPad and notifications started working again. It think this resets everything and allows them to start talking to each other again. Good Luck!

Thanks, this actually worked for me. Tested it and it works both ways now.

dudemac

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2004
Nice to see this return. This is one area where I wish Apple was more transparent. I have been so put off by iCloud, that it would be nice to know what features are going to be added.
If anyone at Apple reads these forums, please get rid of the really crappy skin on the iCloud version of notes. We are not in 1997, and I know that the notes are really on a screen.....:rolleyes: HTML 5 is cool, abusing it is not...

RandoCalrissian

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
Sharing of iCloud services seems to be half-baked all over.

I wish that when you turned off alerts for Shared Calendars, it actually turns them off. As it is, I can turn them on and off all day long with no difference. I get an alert every time a friend changes something on their calendar.

Please for the love of all that is sane, let me stop the alerts!

Try going to Calendar, Preferences, Alerts and checking the check box for shared calendar messages

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
If anyone at Apple reads these forums, please get rid of the really crappy skin on the iCloud version of notes.
And for the love of God, please ditch that obnoxious "Noteworthy" font. None of us are fooled into thinking we wrote the text in by hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.