Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfchky03

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
Guys please help, need opinions and whatsoever.

So what happened was i was able to use my 5Ghz connection to my iPhone 5. It was working fine until today. All of a sudden it just seem not being able to connect to my linksys router. It will connect fine using the 2.4Ghz stream, but not anymore on the 5Ghz.

One thing though, i put on the speck candyshell for the iphone 5.
(do you think since its blocking the glass it causes this issue?)
(but i could still scan for the wifi and still see the 5Ghz access point, its just that i can't access it.)

(all other devices running at 5Ghz band are connected. and just the iPhone5 seems to have the problem.)

sfchky03

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
i tried restarting the router, and the phone. still no luck. im connected to 2.4ghz ryt now.

antman2295

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
i tried restarting the router, and the phone. still no luck. im connected to 2.4ghz ryt now.

You know thats really crazy! I HAVE THE EXACT SAME ISSUE! And I have a speck candyshell grip. I could only find the 5GHz signal 1 time, and I know its broadcasting because my ATV2 is connected to it. And both the phone and router have been reset.

Lyshen

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
California
One thing though, i put on the speck candyshell for the iphone 5.
(do you think since its blocking the glass it causes this issue?)
(but i could still scan for the wifi and still see the 5Ghz access point, its just that i can't access it.)

(all other devices running at 5Ghz band are connected. and just the iPhone5 seems to have the problem.)

Try reset network settings on iPhone, you mentioned that you can see it but not access.

antman2295

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
Try reset network settings on iPhone, you mentioned that you can see it but not access.

Whats strange is my iPhone won't even find the 5Ghz signal. It found it 1 time, and hasn't since then. I've tried restarting both the router and the phone and nothing has fixed it.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Turned the router off for 10 seconds? Make sure your not flicking the switch off and on again.

Also check your settings match those recommended by apple http://support.apple.com/kb/HT419

It would also be handy to know what router you have and what firmware version it's running.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Turn off phone, turn it back on? Go into your wifi list, and tap on your 5GHZ SSID. Tap "forget this network". Try reconnecting to it again. I will ask you for the password again.

Wifi is wonky as hell on iphone5/ios6.

egraphixstudios

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
I'm having similar issues.

rMBP can see the 5Ghz signal and connects/works. IP5 sees it randomly- now and then- but it prioritizes the 2.4ghz broadcast.

Even having rebooted router/ip5 its still the same. I'm guessing its a IP5 issue as other devices on 5ghz work absolutely fine with no drop outs...

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
As far as signal distance goes, the 5GHz band is much weaker than 2.4. It's the same way on my iPad 3. When I'm in bed, both my phones and the ipad3 will drop connection to my 5GHz band and reconnect to the 2.4 band. I don't bother with 5GHz band any more on the phones and ipad, only connect 5GHz on my laptop.

PS the iphone 5 has stronger wifi reception than the iPad 3. When I'm in bed, the ipad will sometimes drop even the 2.4 band if I use it in landscape mode. On the iphone 5, it is full bars all the time on the 2.4GHz band.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I too gave up on the 5Ghz band on my router. I have a Netgear DGND3700 and I found the iphone 5 to be pretty patchy using it. My iPad 3 however worked okay with it.

Eventually I just turned the 5Ghz broadcast off and used 2.4Ghz on everything which works fine and has a better range.

Besides the extra bandwidth the 5Ghz affords isnt particularly noticeable when using it with an iPhone or iPad anyway. Not worth the hasstle if its causing you problems.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
I have an iPhone5 with a speck candy shell on it and a linksys router, connected to 5Ghz just fine, it just took 20 seconds to show up on the list.

I know you can name networks what you want but you'll have to take my word for it.

edebajat.jpg

utuhy6y8.jpg

sfchky03

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
i tried resetting the network settings last night. but still no luck. i might reboot the router back to its factory defaults tonight. i'll let you guys know.:confused:

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
The other issue might want to check is how many devices are allowed to connect to your router at one time.

CarcinogenX

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Orange County, CA
I’m having the same issue with 5ghz. My rMBP and Google TV connect just fine, which is a feat for the Google TV by the way. My iPhone 5 sees the 5ghz band so I know that means it can connect, but will not. My PS3 does not see the band, nor did my Android phone. The iPhone 5 has no trouble at all with the 2.4 band. This is with a Netgear R6300 Dual Band AC Gigabit router. I followed all the suggestions in previous posts before visiting MacRumors and still the issue remains.
At least I have WiFi, so it is not the end of the world.

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
i tried resetting the network settings last night. but still no luck. i might reboot the router back to its factory defaults tonight. i'll let you guys know.:confused:

Take off the case and see if it works! Oh my god this is a super simple test just do it!

sfchky03

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
Take off the case and see if it works! Oh my god this is a super simple test just do it!

i already did that, i thought it was the case causing the issue, but apparently no. still no avail. :( any thoughts? i just to have it on 5Ghz band. now it can see it but it wont connect to it.

egraphixstudios

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
I've had my replacement IP 5 come through yesterday due to scratches and new unit has no issues finding and connecting to 5GHz...

will keep an eye on it over the next week.

sfchky03

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
i heard apple is pushing us to buy updated routers that uses ipv6. i heard this causes the issues :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.