Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vander

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
San Diego, CA
It's about time!

What took so long? I bought a new computer a week ago & paid for it online w/ in store pick up. I walked into the store & said why can't I use passbook to identify my purchase? Well of course at the time I could not, so I'm happy they are finally embracing their own technology.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
This is a good idea, not only to promote the use of Passbook but because it's awkward to just walk out of the store with no bag or receipt. After you pay, Passbook should display a receipt that you can show an Apple employee on your way out.

Easy pay brings the receipt up on your screen, so you can flash the employees with it if you need to.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This comes good, but we don't even have EastPay here in Australia, let alone passbook stuff.

Apple should be taking this "one step at a time" before doing passbook, instead of rolling everything out in one huge bunch.

Time to let other people 'see' this Easpay in international stores first, before anything else.

As doing it "all-at-once", users will be scrtaching their heads, at least give us time, to try out EastPay before hand.

Or we jut need to keep pace... Either way... :)

EasyPay has just made its way to Aus,, (at lease thatscwhat i been told) in some shops. So while all this technology is good, including Passbook, the biggest thing that will resist people usng it is it only work on IOS, and just like NFC that works on Android, the limitation will be the mobile phone

People will have the judgement is : "Why upgrade, when my cueeent phone works fine" type of response, therefore, while good, these things won't take off big..

For one, i won't be using passbook (when available), as i can pay quicker by cash.... Why would i want to stand in a store, going through check-out process? It may take me 5 mins tops..

Last edited:

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Consumers don't care about security. There are risks associated with pretty much everything you do. Consumers just want the best possible shopping experience. An iPhone coupled with remarkable Passbook technology delivers an unparalleled shopping experience that every serious business in the world will need to embrace.
I think you're vastly overestimating the checkout part of the shopping experience. "Remember back in 2012 when paying was a huge chore? You had to reach all the way for your wallet, take out a card and enter a code. Now I know what it must've felt like to get running water installed in your house, for those African women who used to walk miles balancing a heavy pot on their head just to get fresh water..."

chelsel

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
Consumers don't care about security. There are risks associated with pretty much everything you do. Consumers just want the best possible shopping experience. An iPhone coupled with remarkable Passbook technology delivers an unparalleled shopping experience that every serious business in the world will need to embrace.

You're joking right.. haha :) good one! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.