Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AntonWebern

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Pacific Northwest USA
There are many ways for a thunderbolt chain to come to an end, e.g. Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter, Thunderbolt to Mini Display Port adapter, Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter.

I can't seem to find a Thunderbolt Splitter or Hub anywhere. There are some hubs that add usb ports, but none of them appear to actually multiply the number of Thunderbolt dead-ends you can have.

Please note: everyone knows Thunderbolt is designed to daisy-chain. The point is there are many items that will end the chain, so a splitters are still required so long as you have more chain-ending-items than you do Thunderbolt daisy chains.

AntonWebern

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Pacific Northwest USA

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately it only has 2 Thunderbolt ports. Wish there was something with 3 or more Thunderbolt ports on it.

----------

Your only choice is Apple TB display. Sad but true... :eek:

I wonder if there is some sort of licensing restriction at play... I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has some mechanism for banning Thunderbolt splitting devices so that :apple: can sell more Thunderbolt displays.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
You can't just expect people to be able to make a hub for a technology that based on daisy-chaining topology.

AntonWebern

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Pacific Northwest USA
Belkin is coming out with one early next year.

Here it is.

Nope, it only has 2 Thunderbolt ports... I guess with the Belkin though you could make your monitors the end of the chain and the Belkin handles most other chain-ending situations such as TB->Ethernet, TB->Firewire. That Belkin unit would have been way more boss if it just had say two more Thunderbolt ports on it.

mzn50

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
So question.. I have a Promise technology Pegausus R 4 SAN.. and it only has 1 Thunderbolt input and a daisy chain.. I wanted to add my other Mac to it.. but no go.. I tried to via network.. connected fine via the Network.. but S-L-O-W .. my backup was calculated at 29 days for 250GB .. brutal..Apple support says nothing can be done..(TimeMachine)

So back to the HUB.. I want to get a hub with 2 thunderbolt inputs and one OUT to the SAN ..will that work ?

the LaCie eSATA Hub is just that .. a hub for eSATA.. and the Belkin only has 1 port in ?

any way to trick these out ? or another option ?

thanks !

Macspectation

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
Thunderbolt Hubs for Apple Cinema Display users

If you are a user of the 24inch or 27inch Apple Cinema Display which does not have thunderbolt ports on the back, there is still NO option for you to use your monitor AND at the same time, connect a thunderbolt peripheral device that does not have the port duplicated. These displays use the mini display port connector which will use one port on the hub, the other port will connect the hub to your MacBook Pro/Air.

Think about adding a video encoding/recording device from matrox or blackmagic design and you are stuck! Yes even the latest http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F4U055 Thunderbolt™ Express Dock from Belkin has only TWO ports at the back. Do not be misled by the pictures. That dark receptacle at the front is a groove that cuts through to the back allowing a tidy way to connect the cable to your MacBook Air/Pro.

I am waiting (not sure how long I can wait) for a 3 or 4 port thunderbolt hub!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.