Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macoffman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
The internal optical drive is no longer reading disc so I bought a USB Superdrive not knowing it wasn't compatible with my computer. I know there are easy modifications out there to make it work but I can't find the files on my computer to modify. The most common and easiest fix is to modify the com.apple.boot.plist file but I cannot find it in mountain lion. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
not going to work

the external superdrive for 10.8.2 does not work..AppleCare does not know why so don't bother. I have the same issue. Its the .2 Update. U cannot get a clean copy of 10.8 anymore as Apple added the updates if you want to reinstall the OS.

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: nvram...

Hi,

You might try setting the nvram boot arguments yourself using:

sudo nvram boot-args="mbasd=1"
<reboot the MBP>

to see if this works under 10.8.2. I haven't tried this myself since I no longer have the machine to test this on, but I do know that it worked on a MBP under 10.8.1 when I did own that machine.

Good luck,
Switon

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
Hi,

You might try setting the nvram boot arguments yourself using:

sudo nvram boot-args="mbasd=1"
<reboot the MBP>

to see if this works under 10.8.2. I haven't tried this myself since I no longer have the machine to test this on, but I do know that it worked on a MBP under 10.8.1 when I did own that machine.

Good luck,
Switon

is there a way to do this when booting off a mountain lion install CD? just making sure my bases are covered

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.