Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Since the introduction of the fifth-generation iPod touch last month, a number of observers noted that the tech specs for the device no longer listed an ambient light sensor included as had been the case in previous generations, and users have indeed confirmed that the automatic brightness feature controlled by the sensor is missing in the latest model.

Apple senior vice president Phil Schiller has responded to a customer's email inquiry asking about the lack of an ALS. Raghid Harake emailed Schiller and the executive wrote back, saying that the 5th generation iPod touch lacks the sensor because the device is simply too thin:

NewImage22.png
The teardown of the new iPod Touch shows just how cramped the interior of the device is, and the ALS is one of the components that Apple's engineers were forced to leave out to make everything fit.

Article Link: Phil Schiller Says New iPod Touch 'Too Thin' for Ambient Light Sensor

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
I don't understand how the thickness of the device is an excuse. Make it thicker then. At what point is dropping features so that it can be thinner going to stop.

Edit: By the way that is a flat out lie, the ambient light sensor is a surface mount component no bigger than the capacitors that are already in there.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Classic example of making something thinner for no logical reason

iPhone 5 is thinner then the 4 but if they retained the thickness they could have dramatically improved battery life. I have never met or heard someone say the iPhone 4 was too thick or heavy.

ltcol266845

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Elgin, IL
Same here. I find that the screen is always dimming precisely when you don't want it to with the auto sensor. I'd rather just dim it myself if it's dark (though it would be nice if the brightness wasn't buried in settings so far).

Especially when holding the phone in landscape (with the headphone jack on the bottom!) for typing or watching videos.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
I hate it how these days, the high profile Apple employees try to persuade you how good things are (I'm mainly talking about Schiller, Forstall and Cook here).

"It is a remarkable device!"

"Maps are SO beautiful"

"It's just gorgeous"

"We absolutely love this at Apple, absolutely LOVE it"

It just looks desperate?

Steve would have just gone "here it is, it's so cool", end of. Then of course, we would have opened our lovely new Apple gadgets and thought "yeah, this is pretty cool!".

But now it seems that the recent decline in quality of some Apple products (Maps, lack of light sensor on new Touches, no groundbreaking new features in iOS 6 that work properly) has resulted in the top dogs getting desperate, and trying to persuade us that Apple products are really cool rather than just showing us how cool they are. I just think it comes across desperate, and isn't smooth like Steve was.

Just my thoughts...

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
Is there really a need for it in an iPod? You don't hold it up to your ear to talk to someone, and auto brightness really isn't a necessity. I don't see much of a loss here.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I hate it how these days, the high profile Apple employees try to persuade you how good things are (I'm mainly talking about Schiller, Forstall and Cook here).

"It is a remarkable device!"

"Maps are SO beautiful"

"It's just gorgeous"

"We absolutely love this at Apple, absolutely LOVE it"

It just looks desperate?

Steve would have just gone "here it is, it's so cool", end of. Then of course, we would have opened our lovely new Apple gadgets and thought "yeah, this is pretty cool!".

But now it seems that the recent decline in quality of some Apple products (Maps, lack of light sensor on new Touches, no groundbreaking new features in iOS 6 that work properly) has resulted in the top dogs getting desperate, and trying to persuade us that Apple products are really cool rather than just showing us how cool they are. I just think it comes across desperate, and isn't smooth like Steve was.

Just my thoughts...

Steve said many of those same things on stage himself.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011

iPhone 5 is thinner then the 4 but if they retained the thickness they could have dramatically improved battery life. I have never met or heard someone say the iPhone 4 was too thick or heavy.

Yeah, but the 5 is sexxxxyyy. Thin and light makes thick and heavy look so antiquated. I agree that they could've achieved some phenomenal battery life, but I like the design too much; I can't imagine having a thicker phone again.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
We shouldn't be sacrificing features just so that Apple can say that a device is thinner. When I held the 4th gen iPod touch, I already thought that it was too thin. Not very comfortable to hold IMO.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Making "X" thinner is impressive.

Making "X" thinning by subtracting features is not as impressive.

Making "X" thinner while adding features? Blows our minds!

ChromeCloud

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
Italy
They say the sensor has been left out because there is not enough room for it, but they found room for the silly "apple loop" plug that is like 10 times the size of such sensor.

Phil, Phil... Really? -.-'

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002

And you never will. They’re trapped underneath the thing.

I for one prefer thinness over a light sensor... but I don’t care that much.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I wonder if one day they'll remove the 3.5" audio jack to make iDevices thinner.

No problem, just use our AirPods™ Bluetooth headphones!

Don't be ridiculous. Before they did that - they would create a new proprietary connector (like lightening) rendering every single wired headset useless so you had to buy their headphones. Now they might license the tech to a select few - but not for several months.

And oh yeah - the new headsets wouldn't come with the iDevice - it would be sold separately. Also available would be an adapter IF you wanted to use regular headphones

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011

I'm usually of a similar mind, but once you've used a 5 for a while there's no going back. The 4/4S really DO feel like bricks.

That said, it is kinda shocking they'd remove this feature from the iPod Touch.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.