Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
In anticipation for next week's "festivities" I go "Oy" why is MS announcing their stuff the same week as Apple, is like having Neil Diamond and Justin Bieber on the same night! Regardless of other merits. Steve Ballmer needs to reschedule.

By the same token, am looking at a couple of previews and notice (1) The Surface got thick bezel, yikes; and (2) They showed the Surface Table, which reminds me this is an 8 years old technology MS is resuscitating as innovation, yikes^2.

But OK, Apple needs competitions to push them.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
LOL at the assumption that Apple is the cool hip company. Apple is now considered to be the company our moms and dads buy phones and tablets from because the OS is so lame that a baby could use it. No power. No customization. Just blehh.

0x000000

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2011
The Surface tablet isn't the same thing as the table. They're just re-using the name.

Apparently you are wrong. The surface tablet is clearly that table from eight years ago, it even has it in its name. Just adding a "t" changes nothing. And you can also put your stuff on it and do stuff with it, hence Microsoft will fail. You see it now? No need to thank me.

JoshS

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
Actually, Microsoft had their press event scheduled long ago so it looks like apple set their date hoping to overshadow MS' launch.

Either way I like that their will be a third player in the game as it'll keep apple innovating and motivated.

Renzatic

Suspended
Apparently you are wrong. The surface tablet is clearly that table from eight years ago, it even has it in its name. Just adding a "t" changes nothing. And you can also put your stuff on it and do stuff with it, hence Microsoft will fail. You see it now? No need to thank me.

Surface Table...Surface Tablet. Surface....Table...Surface...Table...t...Surface Tab...

HOLY CRAP! THE HOLY GRAIL IS THE WOMB OF MARY MAGDELINE! THE BLOOD THE PROGENY OF CHRIST! THE MEROVINGIAN DYNASTY!

It all makes sense now. :eek:

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I guess this is how some people handle the fact that the most exciting things in tech aren't coming out of Cupertino anymore.

0x000000

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2011
I guess this is how some people handle the fact that the most exciting things in tech aren't coming out of Cupertino anymore.

If Microsoft were to execute them well, fine with me. I personally think the Metro UI is currently the most advanced UI on the market, conceptually. It's really like comparing I dunno time regular means of travel to... uh, time travel I guess. Or flying cars. It's really exciting and I say that with no irony. And it pains me to see that people don't see it.

But it's not executed well. They lack polish and the devices are crap. I've been very excited about the windows phones, regularly praising them but once I held them in my hand it was like... ewww, cheapest plastic, very questionable materials, really bad execution. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, the way they are now. "Buy an iDevice and you know what you get".

It's the same with many technological advances, some things have been way ahead of their time but if the mainstream ignores it, it's all in vain. Apple has been like that for the longest time, with Microsoft ruling the market, despite Apple being conceptually more advanced. It is funny that it's the other way round now.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 27, 2012

I agree, Apple hasn't come out with anything really new since Gestures, but lo and behold, since iPhone1, all of a sudden the world over are full throttle touch screen, and don't tell me it was a natural evolution already taking place because I remember clearly at the time people were going ga-ga over slide out phones with a physical keyboard.

Microsoft to fail? I hope not, I don't want to pay more than what Apple is already charging, they don't need more money. Metro is obviously several generations beyond the "table" but the similarity is uncanny. The table came out soon after Minority Report and I was surprisedly delighted, then they did nothing with it.

Right now MS has kinetic, to me it's huge potential, yet where are the cool products? Hello MS?

Ballmer has admitted in public, MS waits to see if a technology makes it, THEN they pour in after that, for whatever reason. But if you do that, it seems to me the chances of creating something truly cool (real advancement and executed well to be usable) is poor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.