Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
Kind of sucks, but I think they have to keep the difference between the iPhone and the iPod touch. The iPod touch 5 has the same screen as the iPhone 5, instead of a non-IPS display in the 4th gen.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
My dad picked up my 4S and remarked how heavy it was (he uses a company Blackberry but just acquired an old 3GS too).

Quit lying to yourself to prove a point.

lying to myself? wow, pathetic apple fanboy who is controlled by the balls of Apple's marketing team

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Sounds more like a cop out cost saving measure. Most cheap no name android devices have no ambient light sensor.

Broph

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
I hate it how these days, the high profile Apple employees try to persuade you how good things are (I'm mainly talking about Schiller, Forstall and Cook here).

"It is a remarkable device!"

"Maps are SO beautiful"

"It's just gorgeous"

"We absolutely love this at Apple, absolutely LOVE it"

It just looks desperate?

Steve would have just gone "here it is, it's so cool", end of. Then of course, we would have opened our lovely new Apple gadgets and thought "yeah, this is pretty cool!".

But now it seems that the recent decline in quality of some Apple products (Maps, lack of light sensor on new Touches, no groundbreaking new features in iOS 6 that work properly) has resulted in the top dogs getting desperate, and trying to persuade us that Apple products are really cool rather than just showing us how cool they are. I just think it comes across desperate, and isn't smooth like Steve was.

Just my thoughts...

The one word that really got up my goat when Cook was doing the iPhone presentation was 'phenomenal'.... He said that word way too much. It actually made me think the same thing... That they were desperate to impress.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
All my light sensors are turned off in every device I own. Heck, Amazon shipped a broken one in the first Kindle Fire even!

Light sensors, while the idea is really great, doesn't really benefit us. Because no matter how low or high you have the brightness, it's going to look horrible on a sunny day outside.

Speak for yourself, they benefit me plenty.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
It's sad seeing people say steve wouldn't have done this, steve wouldn't have done that.

Steve WOULD HAVE, and DID DO IT. You all were just brainwashed by his ridiculous marketing skills and manipulative speech therapy. Remember, a lie told a hundred times becomes the truth.

I think Apple is still Apple, and they are doing a good job. Stop saying Steve did a better job, Apple did a great job, Steve was just the cherry on top.

Not to mention the countless features and changes that made Apple products the huge successes that they are that Steve was fervently against until his employees argued him into submission.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
It's not too thin. If they can fit a 5mp camera in it, which is use eccentually 5 million light sensors, they could easily fit in one more. What he meant to say was its too thin for an affordable light sensor, otherwise we would lose a few cents per device.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
lying to myself? wow, pathetic apple fanboy who is controlled by the balls of Apple's marketing team

Not really, name a smartphone that's heavier than the 4S that's also a comprable size. Glass and stainless steel are heavy compared to plastic, that's just a fact.

I love my phone though and now the iPod Touch feels really thin and light because of that.

Also, next time I would appreciate capitalization, punctuation and a lack of ad hominem attacks. If I'm to respond to your ignorance then it's the least you could do.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Are you guys really complaining about something so meaningless in the iPod Touch? Look at the main consumer for iPod touches-Tweens and Teens. Why the hell would it matter if it had the ALS?

Because people like to moan .. that is all they have :D

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
But never appeared desperate or like he was trying to be persuasive.

Just watch the demo Forstall did at the last keynote. It was screaming "desperation"!

No, it is only because you were so much in love with Steve Jobs, that his BS didn´t sound like BS to you.
But when Shiller or Forstall talk the same BS you realize how BS this BS is.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I wonder if one day they'll remove the 3.5" audio jack to make iDevices thinner.

No problem, just use our AirPods™ Bluetooth headphones!

Hey, don't joke! Look what happened to the floppy drive and the optical media drive. If Apple decide we don't need it any more, we don't get it any more.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
[/COLOR]
The light sensor will return in the next generation of iPod as a "new feature". One step back, two steps forward, this is how many are doing business these days. And after each step they sell millions of devices either as a novice item (look, it's so thin!) either as a more full featured device (hey, you wanted a light sensor, here it is again!).

That's one step back, one step forward actually.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Kind of sucks, but I think they have to keep the difference between the iPhone and the iPod touch. The iPod touch 5 has the same screen as the iPhone 5, instead of a non-IPS display in the 4th gen.

Um, the differences are: different processor, different cameras, one is a phone that can use a worldwide cellular system.

So they hardly needed to take out the light sensor to make sure the two products were 'different'. Lol

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Not really, name a smartphone that's heavier than the 4S that's also a comprable size. Glass and stainless steel are heavy compared to plastic, that's just a fact.

I love my phone though and now the iPod Touch feels really thin and light because of that.

Also, next time I would appreciate capitalization, punctuation and a lack of ad hominem attacks. If I'm to respond to your ignorance then it's the least you could do.

I think you meant to write "...and _how_ the iPod touch feels ..."

Note: pointing out grammatical errors in someone else's post just makes you sound like a pompous ******. Especially when you yourself make a grammitcal error in your response.

Lex Yu

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2009
I don't understand how the thickness of the device is an excuse. Make it thicker then. At what point is dropping features so that it can be thinner going to stop.

Edit: By the way that is a flat out lie, the ambient light sensor is a surface mount component no bigger than the capacitors that are already in there.

I don't understand YOU. Who cares the light sensor?

Auto-brightness feature is NOT AS SEXY AS THINNESS !!

As far I know, EVERYONE cares thickness. So, thickness over function-that-no-one-care, huh?

Last edited:

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
I want the iphone to be that thin too.

If you want it thicker in exchange for a better battery, then buy a damn case with a battery in it.

I hate the auto-dim. Its constantly making bad choices.

And I'm ready to give up the built in headphone jack. bluetooth is a pretty good answer now. And a hardwire adapter through the lightning connector could be an alternate for people who have specific headphone tastes.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
This is to prepare for the magical illuminated light sensor upgrade next year.

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
I'm fine with this...

Personally the ambiant light sensor was not a grand feature, and if in making things smaller it gets lost, that's a choice that Apple had to make. They sat in a room and decided it wasn't important. If that IS something you feel is important, then by all means let them know, and it will come back next time.

Apple is moving in a direction, you think that thinner isn't the answer, but I believe it is the future. Soon we'll expect these devices to be wearable (and hidden), then we'll expect them to be almost invisible. At some point we're going to have flexible paper thin devices that roll up or something, in order to get to that point, we have to continue to make the components thinner.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
I don't understand YOU. Who cares the light sensor?

Auto-brightness feature is NOT AS SEXY AS THINNESS !!

As far I know, EVERYONE cares thickness. So, thickness over function-that-no-one-care, huh?

Somebody needs to lay off the coffee...

Anyway did you miss the part where I explained that the argument about the thickness is a lie anyway.

Finally, no everyone doesn't "cares thickness" the last iPod Touch was uncomfortably thin and light and so is the new one so I wouldn't buy it anyway. Absolutely terrible ergonomics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.