Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mzayats

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
Since the upgrade to Mountain Lion, I have problems dragging Apps into the Applications folder.

I have turned off Gatekeeper by changing the settings to allow any source for the apps. I can indeed run the apps form DMGs, but if I try dragging them into Applications I get "The operation can't be completed, because you don't have permission to access some of the items".

Interestingly, I have no problem to drag a regular file, like PowerPoint presentation, into Applications.

any ideas?

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Since the upgrade to Mountain Lion, I have problems dragging Apps into the Applications folder.

I have turned off Gatekeeper by changing the settings to allow any source for the apps. I can indeed run the apps form DMGs, but if I try dragging them into Applications I get "The operation can't be completed, because you don't have permission to access some of the items".

Interestingly, I have no problem to drag a regular file, like PowerPoint presentation, into Applications.

any ideas?

Have you run Repair Disk Permissions in Disk Utility ? That is usually my first step in permission problems.

mzayats

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
tried permissions repair

Have you run Repair Disk Permissions in Disk Utility ? That is usually my first step in permission problems.

Fixed quite a lot of permissions inconsistencies, but didn't solve the applications folder issue...

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Fixed quite a lot of permissions inconsistencies, but didn't solve the applications folder issue...

Searching with Google and on Apple's support forums it seems a lot of people have this problem when they try to drag an app while one with the same name is already in the apps folder. Is that your case? Like if Skype is there you try to drag a newer version of Skype it gives the error? A work around seems to be to drag the original app to the trash first.

There are too many threads to read, but if your curious search. I just searched using, "The operation can't be completed, because you don't have permission to access some of the items"

mzayats

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
Searching with Google and on Apple's support forums it seems a lot of people have this problem when they try to drag an app while one with the same name is already in the apps folder. Is that your case? Like if Skype is there you try to drag a newer version of Skype it gives the error? A work around seems to be to drag the original app to the trash first.

There are too many threads to read, but if your curious search. I just searched using, "The operation can't be completed, because you don't have permission to access some of the items"

Logging out and in after permissions repairs did the trick.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.