Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Noticed the new GoPro Hero 3 is coming out today. Excellent news, as I have been meaning to purchase a GoPro for a project I'm working on. I didn't hear about this until just now!! Anyone else going to get this? I think I'll go for the black edition. I just can't resist 2.7k/30!

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
That sounds amazing! I was thinking about buying a GoPro anyways, but the lack of proper resolution SloMo held me back... that seems to be all but gone now!

It's a shame I can't get in in Europe yet. Does anyone have information on when the new model will be out here in Germany?

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Wow 4K at 15fps and 2.7K at 30fps?! At this rate Canon better start releasing firmware updates or an entire new line of DSLRs or SOMETHING that can go above 1080p....They seem to have shot the puck finally unlike everyone else...whats sad is that a Super35 sensor at 2.7K should have come before a tiny camera like this gets it. I'm dying to up my workflow to 2K...Cant wait to check this little camera out though. I recon it will be great for use with a Black Magic Cinema camera and Red Scarlet footage!

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I just bought a GroPro 2 with the wifi backpack last week. It may be going back so I can preorder one of the GoPro 3s. I'm not terribly pleased about them going from a full-size SD to a micro SD and removing the external mic jack (although it seem like you can get a USB adapter).

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I just bought a GroPro 2 with the wifi backpack last week. It may be going back so I can preorder one of the GoPro 3s. I'm not terribly pleased about them going from a full-size SD to a micro SD and removing the external mic jack (although it seem like you can get a USB adapter).

I also hate microSD cards. Far too easy to lose and the smaller a storage device is, generally, the less I trust it. As for external audio, the specs list an audio input jack, I don't know if this is independent or requires a usb adapter as you suggest.

Edit: Yes, it required a USB adapter.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Can anyone recommend where to buy this as soon as possible? GoPro is not shipping from their online store until November (presumably because of preorders?) but apparently it came out today. I haven't been able to find any sort of confirmed retail release date. Where do you think I can get one before the end of the month?

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Just created a video for the new Hero3.
Will be picking one of these up but no idea when it will be available in the UK! :(

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Can't wait to get a couple. I hope they will have the 3D accessories and linking mechanism as they have in the Hero2

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
Just created a video for the new Hero3.
Will be picking one of these up but no idea when it will be available in the UK! :(

Now it says on the official site that it will be available for order (at least in Germany) from November 30th, I guess the UK will be the same. It sucks though that apparently it will cost 449 euros, which transfers to $590 in US dollars. Wasn't it $399 in the US? That's just not fair...

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Everything I've read says 15

Everything I've read says 12FPS at 4K.

"Slow-motion aficionados and industry professionals will love the HERO3: Black Edition's 1080p-60, 720p-120, WVGA-240, 960p-100 and 1440p-48 video modes while those desiring a cinematic look will appreciate the ultra-high resolution 2.7kp-24 and 4kp-12 (Protune only) video modes."

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

"Slow-motion aficionados and industry professionals will love the HERO3: Black Edition's 1080p-60, 720p-120, WVGA-240, 960p-100 and 1440p-48 video modes while those desiring a cinematic look will appreciate the ultra-high resolution 2.7kp-24 and 4kp-12 (Protune only) video modes."

2.7kp24 only? DPReview's main article stated it / 4k was 30p/15p too. Too bad it's not that fast.

Nevertheless, if this device does have a sharp lens and a decent encoder (meaning the ability to fully utilize the resolution), it'll be a real kick-butt one.

Mito

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
It looks good but remember - 4K or "just" Full HD is not always what you think. Just record same thing with iPhone on Full HD and then with something better, even point and shoot camera - compare them and you will know that camera has A LOT better footage. Same thing will happen with 4K on GoPro. Anyway it's nice feature to have, even with 12FPS but practical

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

2enqgkz.jpg
looks like we're ALL right

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Can anyone recommend where to buy this as soon as possible? GoPro is not shipping from their online store until November (presumably because of preorders?) but apparently it came out today. I haven't been able to find any sort of confirmed retail release date. Where do you think I can get one before the end of the month?

If you are in NY I'd try BHPhoto and see when they get them in. I was looking at the Hero2 and bought the Sony wifi model because no one had any Hero2's in stock this past weekend. I like it so it's a keeper :)

I'd like to see some real world video of the Hero3 and what it takes to get the colors nice with a bit of tweaking.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If you are in NY I'd try BHPhoto and see when they get them in. I was looking at the Hero2 and bought the Sony wifi model because no one had any Hero2's in stock this past weekend. I like it so it's a keeper :)

I'd like to see some real world video of the Hero3 and what it takes to get the colors nice with a bit of tweaking.

I was going to try B&H but I talked to them and they said they would not be getting them before GoPro ships them on November 14th. So I preordered from GoPro's website a couple hours ago. Can't wait! Got the Hero3 Black Edition, Handlebar/Seatpost mount and Tripod mount. I'm going to try out the iPhone app for now but if I'm not a fan of it at some point I'll get the touchscreen backpack, and I'm sure I'll need a few other mounts at some point too.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Image looks like we're ALL right

Thanks!

Does anyone know if there are separate NTSC and PAL models for the respective markets - as is the case with Panasonic and Sony? It'd be a serious letdown for us Europeans (again....) not to be able to shoot at the maximum framerate possible.

Also, what about the maximal recording length? My current action camera (this one: http://dx.com/p/1080p-cmos-5mp-spor...-4x-digital-zoom-tv-out-hdmi-sd-1-5-lcd-82742 ) can easily record 4 hours of 720p30 footage on one charge, without any interruption or silly 30-minute-restrictions (ideal for multiple-hour cross-country skiing shooting).

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA

Every supplier I've talked to doesn't have a firm date on when they'll be receiving the black edition, but none of them expect t have it before mid-November. I don't think anyone is shipping yet or is going t have them by the end if the month. The white and silver models should be coming close to next week.

One thing that's gone by the wayside is that everyone just dropped the price of all the GoPro 2s by $100. I was thinking about returning the 2 I bought last week and preordering the black edition, but after seeing that I'm just going to get a price adjust and keep what I've got. The new specs sound great, but without more hands-on reviews I don't trust a new model enough to preorder. GoPros last few products definitely seem to have fallen into the "ship first, make it work later" camp, and I'm still reluctant to throw more money their way when the Android wifi app still hasn't been released 8 months after the wifi backpack came out.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks!

Does anyone know if there are separate NTSC and PAL models for the respective markets - as is the case with Panasonic and Sony? It'd be a serious letdown for us Europeans (again....) not to be able to shoot at the maximum framerate possible.

Also, what about the maximal recording length? My current action camera (this one: http://dx.com/p/1080p-cmos-5mp-spor...-4x-digital-zoom-tv-out-hdmi-sd-1-5-lcd-82742 ) can easily record 4 hours of 720p30 footage on one charge, without any interruption or silly 30-minute-restrictions (ideal for multiple-hour cross-country skiing shooting).

I believe there is only one mondel and you can switch between PAL and NTSC in settings.

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
will definately be buying a few of these !

----------

Thanks!

NTSC/PAL - that was a problem once upon a time - I'm in Europe and that's a non issue just like with most digital cameras, it'll give you the framerate you like just like before, RED/DSLR you don't need to think about NTSC/PAL, you current action cam sounds interesting - gopro will record until the media is full.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
NTSC/PAL - that was a problem once upon a time - I'm in Europe and that's a non issue just like with most digital cameras, it'll give you the framerate you like just like before, RED/DSLR you don't need to think about NTSC/PAL

You might have misunderstood me. By NTSC/PAL, I didn't mean the difference in broadcast standards but the region-specific cameras Panasonic and Sony (these produce stills cameras with the best video recording capabilities) offer in and outside Europe.

Unfortunately, European models are still heavily handicapped: maximum 25/50 fps (as opposed to 30/60), 29/30 minutes recording time at most etc. This, again, includes all(!) DSLR's /micro43 models from these two companies - and, of course, P&S and superzoom models too. It's only Canon's and Nikon's models that don't suffer from the NTSC/PAL region dumbing-down.

you current action cam sounds interesting - gopro will record until the media is full.

That's certainly great news. Now, we'll need to see whether the lens is actually capable of resolving 4k detail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.