Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Next month, Apple will meet with accessory makers in Shenzhen, China to discuss integration of the new Lightning connector in third party products, according to a report from TechCrunch. The MFi Program allows manufacturers to obtain the hardware components necessary to connect iPhones, iPods and iPads to third party docks, cars, and other such devices.

NewImage25.png

However, in a change from the previous dock connector, TechCrunch says Apple will be keeping very tight control of the new Lightning connector:
One of those new rules, according to one of our sources close to the program, is that Apple's Lightning pin supply is controlled by the company itself, and it supplies approved MFI partners with production quantities of the pin once their product is determined to have met its standards and specifications. It sells them in volume, and our source says the pricing is actually very fair when you consider the advanced technology involved in the connector's construction.
An earlier teardown of the Lightning connector showed some specialized hardware inside the connector itself, including chips that could be used for security.

That said, Chinese companies are said to have cracked the security protocols already, and are in the process of ramping up Lightning component production. The meeting, reportedly scheduled for November 7 and 8, is a first step towards development of new Lightning-compatible products.

Apple did say during the iPhone 5 launch event that some companies including Bose, JBL, B&W and B&O were already working on devices compatible with the new connector. However, we haven't heard any concrete availability dates for new Lightning-compatible devices.

Article Link: Apple Meeting With Accessory Makers to Promote Lightning Integration

flyingember

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
the question I want answered by manufacturers is if I can use the apple adaptor for existing accessories

broad comparability testing by companies would be smart.

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2012
They're meeting with accessory makers next month? They're already running about a month late.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Tighter control translation: We want to make money off of every accessory that connects to the iPhone.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
They better!

I am still glad though that they finally updated their aging 30-pin connector. The new one is just great; smaller, more usable, AND looks better :p.

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Unless they plan to stop companies in China from making cheap knockoffs I'm not sure what the point of the tight control is.

At the current rate we will see knockoff cables before any legitimate 'approved' accessories.

chuckd83

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
here's an idea...release your tight grip on the lightning thing so we don't end up with bricked iPhones by using cheap Chinese hacked crap.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Tighter control translation: We want to make money off of every accessory that connects to the iPhone.

That, or you could look at it as they are looking to work with manufacturers to ensure future products provide the best possible experience for customers of both companies. Wouldn't it also be worth their while to ensure the first 3rd party accessories that pair with Lighting work well?

jackfungi

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2010
One of the greatest features with Apple's ecosystem is its lack of fragmentation. The lightning connector challenges that. Three years until the whole ecosystem is resorted again? This was still a necessary upgrade.

absurdamerica

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
Apple screwed this up in just about every way possible.

They failed to:

1. Provide even a superficial performance boost by making the cable USB3
2. Engage manufacturers early so that when the phone came out their partners could benefit from increased dock/accessory sales.

Honestly, all this has been nothing but an inconvenience for the customer and if I was an accessory maker I'd be furious heading into the holiday season with no iPhone5 ready products to drive holiday sales.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Would have made more sense if the meeting was held Sept. 13th...

Apple screwed this up in just about every way possible.

They failed to:

From what I've read, USB 3 would not have affected any performance in the iPhone. The bottleneck in the iPhone is the memory chip, which is slower than USB 2. So you wouldn't see any benefit from 3.0.

Once Apple gets faster chips, they update Lightning to USB 3.0 (probably in a couple years).

jackfungi

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2010
It's going to be very difficult for accessory makers to design, build and get approval for their new lightning products before the holiday season. Lets see how this ends up! Like Phil Schiller said, does Apple want to kill the dock?

----------

Would have made more sense if the meeting was held Sept. 13th...
I totally agree. Laziness? Lol

neuregulin

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2010
New York City
All I care now is to get some extra cable and adaptor

Of course at a much decent price Apple is offering.... I will consider $10 for cable or an adaptor...... I need to carry my ipad on the road most of time, so an old charger, with a 30-pin cable plus the adaptor will totally serve me perfect.

It is strange that Apple doesn't have a stock of those adaptor when they ship iPhone5. I don't dare to take my iphone5 cable off my iMac, because I can afford to loose it now...and $30 an adaptor....that's ridiculous.

neuregulin

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2010
New York City
They failed to:

I guess Apple is still debating about USB3 as a whole..... not just for iOS devices, but for Mac too. Before the Mac getting USB3, no way any iOS device is getting that ability.

Interesting to see whether next week's update on rMBP or iMac will have this improvement. Don't see any technical difficulty anywhere in the USB3 business.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
The more I see these depressing post-Steve Jobs announcements from Apple products it makes me sad and happy. Sad that Apple now seem to be losing the impetus it once had in being one step ahead of the competition - and happy I got a 4S instead and saved myself £££s in pointless connector 'upgrades', duff Maps, scratchy cases and one issue after another .... lets hope 2013 is Apple's year again and quality comes before the quantity of 'major announcements' :confused:

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
From what I've read, USB 3 would not have affected any performance in the iPhone. The bottleneck in the iPhone is the memory chip, which is slower than USB 2. So you wouldn't see any benefit from 3.0.

Where did you read this? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.