Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

verizonlogo-150x90.jpg
Verizon today became the first major U.S. iPhone carrier to report earnings for the third quarter of 2012, giving some insight into iPhone sales one week before Apple reports its numbers.

In a conference call following the earnings release, Verizon revealed that it activated 3.1 million iPhones during the quarter, representing approximately 46% of its total smartphone activations of 6.8 million. The iPhone activation number was up from 2.7 million in the previous quarter that saw Apple garnering a similar 45% share of Verizon's smartphone activations.

Addressing the iPhone 5, Verizon noted that 21% of its iPhone activations were for devices running on the carrier's LTE network, translating to about 650,000 iPhone 5 activations in the last few days of the quarter.

AT&T and Sprint will also be reporting their financial results next week, ahead of Apple's announcement and conference call following the close of trading on Thursday, October 25.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Represented 21% of Verizon's 3.1 Million iPhone Activations in 3Q 2012

jmcrutch

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
So iPhone 5 accounts for 21% of Verizon's quarterly iPhone sales, even though it was only on sale for handful of days of the quarter? I'd say that is strong. Strong to very strong.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Given the number of smartphones that Verizon offers and how heavily they advertise Android devices, it's pretty amazing that nearly half their smartphone sales were iPhones.

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
I'm sure a lot of people like myself switched over from AT&T to Verizon for the iPhone 5. I chose to dump my unlimited data for faster LTE and better coverage!

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Given the number of smartphones that Verizon offers and how heavily they advertise Android devices, it's pretty amazing that nearly half their smartphone sales were iPhones.

...............but, was it half empty or half full?

Wouldn't 21% be closer to 1/4 of sales?

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I believe that. Not bad for a phone others are calling 'old tech'.

----------

And what does that really say about the SGIII? I constantly hear about how popular this phone is, but the iPhone seems to be killing it.

Tingler

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2012
Such results were pretty much expected. Everyone is a winner - Apple, Verizon, and customers.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
That is weak. Taking into consideration how popular the iPhone 5 is and how much it was sold, weak. I bet AT&T took the whole grunt of the iPhone 5 activations. Sprint probably in 2nd.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Verizon today became the first major U.S. iPhone carrier to report earnings for the third quarter of 2012, giving some insight into iPhone sales one week before Apple reports its numbers.

In a conference call following the earnings release, Verizon revealed that it activated 3.1 million iPhones during the quarter, representing approximately 46% of its total smartphone activations of 6.8 million. The iPhone activation number was up from 2.7 million in the previous quarter that saw Apple garnering a similar 45% share of Verizon's smartphone activations.

Addressing the iPhone 5, Verizon noted that 21% of its iPhone activations were for devices running on the carrier's LTE network, translating to about 650,000 iPhone 5 activations in the last few days of the quarter.

AT&T and Sprint will also be reporting their financial results next week, ahead of Apple's announcement and conference call following the close of trading on Thursday, October 25.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Represented 21% of Verizon's 3.1 Million iPhone Activations in 3Q 2012

Wow. If it continues anything like this, that doesn't leave a lot of room for any given Android handset to have outsold the iPhone 5 next quarter. That's almost 10% of *all* smartphone sales by Verizon, from a phone which was only *just* available (in limited supply) during the quarter.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Unlike with AT&T, any Verizon customer who gets a 4G LTE phone either subsidized or un-subsidized will lose their unlimited data plan.

If anyone wins here, it will be Verizon by forcing off millions of its iPhone unlimited data customers to a tiered data plan. Combined with the higher efficiency of the 4G LTE spectrum and how 4G LTE chews through more data more quickly, this will be VERY lucrative for Verizon. 2GB will not be sufficient for an average user in 2012, the numbers of which we will know next year. In 2010, the average smartphone user was using 450MB/mo. In 2011, that number jumped to 1.4GB. In 2012, my educational guess is that it will easily exceed 2GB maybe even approaching 3GB.

The share everything plans help for people who use a relatively small amount of data on many devices. The break even point is reached fairly quickly though as you account for the fact that each phone is likely to chew through 2GB each month which means many families will have to get the 8GB family share plan.

Apple wins, Verizon wins, shareholders (me) win, customer (also me) loses

I am holding onto my iPhone 4S with unlimited data for dear life

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Well, this makes sense. You have to buy TWO Verizon iPhones in order to get the data and voice to work at the same time. Also takes 2-3 iPhones to get the LTE Speed that you can get via AT&T.

vtstarck

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
I think it's impressive that the earlier iPhone version run rate (4S, etc) was nearly as high as the quarter before.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011

they don't have to advertise the iPhone.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010

Also likely irks them as its been pretty apparent that the other handset manufacturers (Samsung, LG, etc.) are paying big dollars for sales spiffs, advertising co-op dollars, etc. Apple gets that kind of sales push and doesn't line the pockets of the carrier with kickbacks while doing it.

Also takes 2-3 iPhones to get the LTE Speed that you can get via AT&T.

Ummm....I think you are a bit out of your league here junior.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Well, this makes sense. You have to buy TWO Verizon iPhones in order to get the data and voice to work at the same time. Also takes 2-3 iPhones to get the LTE Speed that you can get via AT&T.

Let's not overlook the important fact faced by AT&T customers in most major cities in this country - NO AT&T LTE SERVICE AT ALL

As far as your claim that AT&T's LTE network is faster than Verizon's LTE network. Yeah right - come to Philadephia and see for yourself

Last edited:

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
So they can finally get rid of the upgrade fee, right? I mean they were crying they couldn't make money, but apparently they can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.