Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdenby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
My new iPhone 5 is not staying connected to wifi. It will stay on then the internet will atop working while it still shows as the wifi beig connected. I have tried restoring my phone and resetting network settings and all settings. Is anyone else having this problem. Has anyone found a solution.

weeble8604

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2012
I'm having this problem too. I'll put in the password for my wifi at home. It will connect and then 10 min later I have to enter it again when I look up and realize that I'm not connected. Getting annoying

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
My new Iphone 5 is dropping Wifi and switching to 4G

I have to manually go into settings and tap my Wifi to turn it back on.

Sometimes when I unlock the phone it will be on Wifi, and sometimes its on 4G and I have to turn Wifi back on.

It even does this close to the wifi base.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Mine is connecting but not getting any Internet on wifi.
It's been doing the same on 2 different wifi networks I tried today.
It's not the routers cause everyone else connects to them with no probs.
just my new i5 is having issues.
Something is not right and heard many others having issues with wifi not working right.

yohannus

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
I think I found the problem. Make sure "Ask to Join Networks" is on under wifi settings....

Castle87

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
I think I found the problem. Make sure "Ask to Join Networks" is on under wifi settings....

I did that but like OP, it's still dropping my wifi. The 4G is great and in some spots, faster than my wifi, but at the same time, it's sucking up unnecessary data usage. It's annoying.

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I had a problem with my iPhone 4 after updating to iOS6 that it wouldn't reconnect to my WiFi.

I had to go into the WiFi settings - click on the small blue arrow next to my network and then I had a small toggle switch that said 'Rejoin network'. Flick that and its OK now.

gabrielmartin

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
ios6 iphone 5 wifi

None of these worked for me either so I tried turning ON my data, THEN connecting to wifi, then turning OFF data and wifi connects and stays connected. At least for the last 10 mins...

The bummer is I can't text pictures to non iphones with data shut off..(because imessage to iphones uses wifi and mms texting will not).

Symtrips

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Kinda fix

I was able to get the wifi to keep working by going in to the connection settings and selecting "renew lease". I was having the same issue here at work where it will connect and work for about 10min then stop. At home it works fine but slow, <1mbps according to speedtest which is about 1/4 of what I get on my laptop.

gcjhyap

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
This is to all the guys having problem with iphone wifi.

I am not a tech guru so I wont be much technical but this is what i have experienced

To start of with easy understanding, its a fault in the iphone 5, not in IOS6. Sorry guys but the handset you have the sooner you change the better, because this is a hardware issue not a software so do not wait for apple to find a software fix.

Now the issue:

iphones 5 having problem with wifi can connect with WEP, WPA-TKIP settings on your router. But They dont work with WPA-AES. I tried with WPA-auto but mine didnt work, few other people said their iphone not working with WPA- AES strangely worked with WPA-auto!!

This is not an issue at all if your at home becuase you can tweak your settings anytime you like. you can change your settings to WPA -TKIP and it will work perfectly fine. Its a little less secure than WPA-AES but still your iphone5 will work. But this will be a BIGGGGG issue if your trying to connect to the networks you dont own becuase if they have got WPA-AES on then your in trouble.

I am here sat at my office desk but can use their wifi at all. And as i am in ground floor, 3G network is very very poor so when i am at office i say to myself ''i want my iphone 3gs back'' but its too late!!

Luckily i did a lot of research on this and figured out the problem soon so i have asked my carrier to exchange my handset, it should be in its way.

Hopefully this one wont have any issues.

So ask for a replacement handset before your time runs out.

sagitta

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
iPhone 5 Not connecting to wifi

My phone started doing this today also.
I reset the phone, reset the router, etc. Renewed the lease, turned off wi-fi, etc. Every mac device in the house works fine, but my phone sees the network and will not connect.
I have one of the pre-ordered phones.

gcjhyap

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
My phone started doing this today also.
I reset the phone, reset the router, etc. Renewed the lease, turned off wi-fi, etc. Every mac device in the house works fine, but my phone sees the network and will not connect.
I have one of the pre-ordered phones.

Does wifi not work at all on ur iphone or just with a specific router setting?

Mine had problem with WPA2 AES, but not with any other form of security

I got my new iphone delivered yesterday and it now works sweeeet with WPA2 - AES .

I suggest you exchange your handset too. There is a problem with first few batches of iphone 5. If its a pre order then your in the trap.
EXCHANGE UR PHONE MATE!!

stieny

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2008
Now the issue:

iphones 5 having problem with wifi can connect with WEP, WPA-TKIP settings on your router. But They dont work with WPA-AES. I tried with WPA-auto but mine didnt work, few other people said their iphone not working with WPA- AES strangely worked with WPA-auto!!

This is not an issue at all if your at home becuase you can tweak your settings anytime you like. you can change your settings to WPA -TKIP and it will work perfectly fine. Its a little less secure than WPA-AES but still your iphone5 will work. But this will be a BIGGGGG issue if your trying to connect to the networks you dont own becuase if they have got WPA-AES on then your in trouble.

I am here sat at my office desk but can use their wifi at all. And as i am in ground floor, 3G network is very very poor so when i am at office i say to myself ''i want my iphone 3gs back'' but its too late!!

Luckily i did a lot of research on this and figured out the problem soon so i have asked my carrier to exchange my handset, it should be in its way.

Hopefully this one wont have any issues.

So ask for a replacement handset before your time runs out.

In regards to the specific wifi issue, i have a question about my 5....

It refuses to connect to the wifi at work. I work in office suits in a professional wing at a hotel so I can pick up the hotels wifi. My 4S connected no problem but when I brought my MacBook into work one day it wouldn't connect. I would see the network as an option to connect but once selected, it would not connect at all. Same thing is happening now with my iPhone 5. You can see the network as an option but once you select on my phone is just continually tries to connect but the phone stays on LTE.

I thought it was an issue with the hotels network considering my MacBook and my iPhone 5 will not connect at all but my bosses iPad will connect.

At home I have Verizon fios and I have no issues. Connects right away and stays connected until I leave my house. I get a consistent 15 down and 5 up always.

So does this sound related to the 5's wifi problems or is it just a network problem at work?

Last edited:

Maxwell73

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Try Resetting Router

I turned my router off and then back on and the phone connected automatically and stayed connected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.