Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
This would be better if it was clearer what's going to happen to 3rd party clients in the future.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Does syncing actually work? I've never gotten the beta to successfully sync with the iOS counter part on iCloud or Tweet Marker. It honestly is the most annoying thing about using Twitter. If Twitter can release a client that fixes that like how Tweetie was supposed to, then I'd support them blocking out 3rd party clients.

Didn't work in the beta because it wasn't in the MAS.

Works perfectly now.

-Kevin

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California
If you already have the ipad version then you don't need this, 20$ is too much for an app, i love Tweetbot on my ipad but i'm fine browsing my twitter through a browser on my computer.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
The token issue raises a question for me. I'm assuming that this app, like pretty much every other since the dawn of time will appear on torrent sites around the globe (or old warez BBSes). Do those pirated copies tick down the allowable tokens?

If so, this is a real bummer for the folks at Tapbots. Of course they'll get pirated, but it'll then actually limit how many copies they can sell. That would doubly sucky.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Didn't work in the beta because it wasn't in the MAS.

Works perfectly now.

-Kevin

i actually can't get the iCloud sync between the app and iphone to work.
i have the OSX app open and sitting at the top of the timeline, open iphone version and it doesn't jump to the top of the timeline.

both mac and iphone version set to icloud sync.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
If you already have the ipad version then you don't need this, 20$ is too much for an app, i love Tweetbot on my ipad but i'm fine browsing my twitter through a browser on my computer.

Exactly. I'll stick to mobile for Tweetbot.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
i have the OSX app open and sitting at the top of the timeline, open iphone version and it doesn't jump to the top of the timeline.

Same. iCloud sync works for the filters though. It worked for timeline syncing for a while but stopped a month or so back.

Edit: Discovered it was the iphone version that was not syncing successfully. I fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling Tweetbot for iPhone then turning off iCloud document sync in the settings and turning it back on. I then waiting a few minutes. Deleting and reinstalling the app alone didn't seem to work.

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
This would be better if it was clearer what's going to happen to 3rd party clients in the future.

Unless Twitter has a change of heart, they will die based on economics alone. The reason Twitter has the amount of tokens it does is that it had an alpha before the rules came into effect. Going forward, clients are effectively dead.

I'm going to buy this anyway because to me, Tweetbot is effectively twitter. The day Tweetbot stops working is the day I stop using Twitter.

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
I've paid (much) more for apps that I use less. The syncing with my phone and iPad alone is worth the $20, and it is a beautifully engineered app.

As for the future, there are questions around every third party app, given what Twitter is doing, but I'm unwilling to move to the web for this function and Tweetbot on my phone, ipad and, now, Macs is by far the best solution.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH

Try closing the window on your Mac. Don't close the app....just close the window. Then see if it syncs.

I'm not sure any app will sync if it's open. Meaning it has to be minimized or closed on the iPad/iPhone.

EDIT: Ok nevermind....I just kept the Mac version open and opened the iPad version.....I saw it update first to an older position, and then 10 seconds later update to the current position.

Even if I keep the iPad app open next to me, and scroll on the Mac app.....after about 15 seconds, the iPad app will auto scroll.

-Kevin

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I spend $20 on nonsense all the time (DVDs, alcohol, crap food, etc.). $20 for a piece of software that I use daily and absolutely love on the Mac, iPhone, and iPad is an easy decision for me.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
I have no objection to paying $20 for a quality, well developed and supported app. It causes pause, however, to pay $20 for an app which leverage a third-party service when said third-party service has effectively stated it's desire to exterminate these apps. I legitimately question how long the company will be able to survive and actively develop, even at the higher price, if Twitter doesn't give them room to grow with additional tokens (which they have thus far rejected). I hope Twitter changes their narrowed minds as apps like these are a big part of why my use of Twitter has grown.

Last edited:

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Try closing the window on your Mac. Don't close the app....just close the window. Then see if it syncs.

I'm not sure any app will sync if it's open. Meaning it has to be minimized or closed on the iPad/iPhone.

EDIT: Ok nevermind....I just kept the Mac version open and opened the iPad version.....I saw it update first to an older position, and then 10 seconds later update to the current position.

Even if I keep the iPad app open next to me, and scroll on the Mac app.....after about 15 seconds, the iPad app will auto scroll.

-Kevin

i keep it closed pretty much most of the time.
my iphone is not picking up the current position of the timeline.

in fact, it appears that iphone is overriding the osx app and pushing the timeline back down to a previous position. this suggests that the osx app is not updating icloud with it's current status.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
wait so what happens when and if the torrent folks get a hold of this? Does each torrent user that downloads and grants access use up a token?

If so those 100K can go really really fast :confused:

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
wait so what happens when and if the torrent folks get a hold of this? Does each torrent user that downloads and grants access use up a token?

If so those 100K can go really really fast :confused:

1 user could use up many tokens if they have multiple twitter accounts.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
1 user could use up many tokens if they have multiple twitter accounts.

I had posted the same question about torrent copies. I hadn't considered that it was tied to individual twitter accounts, merely to the app. So, if I have 3 twitter accounts, I'm actually using 3 tokens. bugger.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The price is a typo, right? That's outrageous! Hell, just go to the website for FREE! Another open tab won't hurt.

No it isn't a typo. As for your reply that is what Twitter wants. They are doing this whole token thing to either force 3rd parties to shut down or to drive them to charging prices their users won't pay so they will go to the site. Where twitter gets your IP etc and can serve up all their ads etc.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It's unfortunate that Twitter is limiting them like this and that they feel they have to increase their price because of it (maybe they really do).

I have the alpha version of Tweetbot for Mac and I don't think I will buy the $20 retail version. I have the alpha, TweetDeck and Yorufukurou. So I think for the time being I will continue to use Yorufukurou on the Mac. But for iOS, it's Tweetbot all the way.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
they have zero incentive once they know that they cant make a penny off of it

zero incentive? how about maintaining the brand name. who is going to ever buy a mac app from Tapbots again if they don't continue support?

furqan8421

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
As others have stated the price is too high for me to feel comfortable paying

I'm sure it's a nice app, but I can already open the app on my iPad or iPhone, one of which I generally have sitting next to me, and see the same information.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
For the price it just doesn't seem worth it; unless I'm missing something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.