Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I like Tweetbots, I really do. I have both iPad and iPhone versions and planned on buying the Mac version.

But having used public beta since day 1, there's no way it's worth $20 to me. It may be worth it to journalists and frequent users, but all I do is follow 57 users. $5 tops.

Having said that, I sympathize and understand their pricing logic. But with Twitter clamping down their API year-after-year, who knows if Tweetbot for Mac will even be usable few years from now?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Twitter will only allow 100,000 users for any 3rd party twitter client (with some exceptions for clients that existed at the time the rule went into effect.)

I recall reading that this is 100,000 users "without getting permission". How hard is it to get permission for > 100,000 users? Maybe they want to be paid for more users? This is understandable when you consider that third party clients don't display promoted tweets.

Still, 100,000 tokens at $20 each is $2 million, or $1.4 million once Apple takes their cut. Not too bad, and even if twitter asks for, say, $10K for an additional 100,000 tokens that'd be workable.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I'm sure this is a great app, but at the end of the day, as others have said, it's only a twitter client. You can get free twitter clients that might not be as nice but do pretty much the same things. It's like paying $20 for a coke because it comes in a special can even though you can get pretty much the same thing for $1 even if it won't look as nice.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Perhaps Tapbots should've released two versions for Mac. In addition to $20 pro version, $5 simplified version designed more as a drop-in replacement for iOS counterpart.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Still, 100,000 tokens at $20 each is $2 million, or $1.4 million once Apple takes their cut. Not too bad, and even if twitter asks for, say, $10K for an additional 100,000 tokens that'd be workable.

That assumes one account per sale. Lots of people have multiple accounts. And the Mac App Store allows for use on all Macs controlled by the purchaser, so you have multiple accounts by multiple family members to deal with. Plus piracy.

I'd be surprised if they sold 40,000 copies before running out of tokens.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Personally not paying $20 for a twitter app, nor will I be revoking my tokens. When the money grabbing stops and the price becomes reasonable, I'll buy it, but until then, the token stays on the several accounts I used during the betas.

I can understand not wanting to spend the $20 but why be a token whore? Is it spite, just can't be bothered to revoke them or am I missing something? Not knocking you, just trying to understand the motivation.

That being said I doubt I'll be spending the $20 either. I'm already into them for that much getting Tweetbot/Netbot on my iPhone and iPad. It's not the money as much as usecase. Twitter/AppNet just don't have the same appeal for me on the desktop as they do on a mobile device.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
From listening to the guys in the jailbreak community, its pretty sad these days. Apps that are $.99 still get pirated. People pretty much refuse to pay for an app thats more than $2.99.

Woah, back up there a minute.

Jailbreaking and pirating are VERY different things. Get your facts right before making such absurd remarks.

Jailbreaking = Legal and adds function to an otherwise locked down device - at no point is ANYTHING stolen from ANYONE.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I can understand not wanting to spend the $20 but why be a token whore? Is it spite, just can't be bothered to revoke them or am I missing something? Not knocking you, just trying to understand the motivation.

That being said I doubt I'll be spending the $20 either. I'm already into them for that much getting Tweetbot/Netbot on my iPhone and iPad. It's not the money as much as usecase. Twitter/AppNet just don't have the same appeal for me on the desktop as they do on a mobile device.

Its a combination of not rewarding this behavior (passing the screwing Twitter is giving them onto the customer) and the fact that if they come to their senses and lower the price, I want those tokens so I can actually use what really is a good application, just not worth $20 imho.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
If you look at where the OP is from, you'll see that he's in Germany, where (like much of Europe) it's customary to use commas instead of decimal points with prices.

I get the decimal system, and as resistant as I am to using, I still have to admit that it makes more sense than imperial measure (with the possible exception of Celsius), and I preffer dd/mm/yyyy to mm/dd-yyyy. But swapping commas and decimal points, just seems wrong every time I see it.

----------

Its a combination of not rewarding this behavior (passing the screwing Twitter is giving them onto the customer) and the fact that if they come to their senses and lower the price, I want those tokens so I can actually use what really is a good application, just not worth $20 imho.
Thanks for the explanation. So your more or less holding a place in line just in case they lower the price?

kravnh

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
Does syncing actually work? I've never gotten the beta to successfully sync with the iOS counter part on iCloud or Tweet Marker. It honestly is the most annoying thing about using Twitter. If Twitter can release a client that fixes that like how Tweetie was supposed to, then I'd support them blocking out 3rd party clients.

Syncing was disabled in the Beta.

Outsiderdude26

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2005
New England

You do know that once the 100,000 tokens are taken Tapbots will pull Tweetbot from MAS? They will not lower the price.

In a weird way you're somewhat stealing from them.

nsfw

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2009
Woah, back up there a minute.

Jailbreaking and pirating are VERY different things. Get your facts right before making such absurd remarks.

Jailbreaking = Legal and adds function to an otherwise locked down device - at no point is ANYTHING stolen from ANYONE.

I know what I'm talking about but I didn't put it clearly. What I meant was the guys I know who write paid apps that are sold on cydia have a very clear dataset on the number of their app users that are legit vs pirated. They often write they can't believe that people won't pay $.99 for their apps and have a piracy rate over 90%.

I know exactly what a jailbreak is. The term jailbreak comes from the term to break out of root jail. Root being the admin user account in *nix. All that a jailbreak does is enable the end user access to the root account.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
You do know that once the 100,000 tokens are taken Tapbots will pull Tweetbot from MAS? They will not lower the price.

In a weird way you're somewhat stealing from them.

Your assuming that Tapbots can sell $100,000 copies at $20. What if they can only sell 50,000 at that price, do they leave the other 50,000 token un used. I'm guessing that Sensotech is betting that Tapbots will come to the same realisation that Apple did with the original iPhone, that they've priced their product higher than all but the most loyal of users are willing to pay. Nor am I convinced that 100,000 tokens is a hard limit, you may need to cut Twitter in for a bigger cut to get more tokens but its possible that a deal could be made.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Your assuming that Tapbots can sell $100,000 copies at $20. What if they can only sell 50,000 at that price, do they leave the other 50,000 token un used. I'm guessing that Sensotech is betting that Tapbots will come to the same realisation that Apple did with the original iPhone, that they've priced their product higher than all but the most loyal of users are willing to pay. Nor am I convinced that 100,000 tokens is a hard limit, you may need to cut Twitter in for a bigger cut to get more tokens but its possible that a deal could be made.

Exactly this. Plus, last I checked, these tokens I supposedly stole are attached to MY account on TWITTER. They either belong to me, as its unique data to me, or to Twitter, as its their service and API. Outsiderdude26 should think twice before accusing someone of stealing.

squidkitten

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Omaha
I use the Twitter's Mac app because I love the automatically refreshing timeline. I use Twitter WAY more now because I have this ability. When Twitter announced they were discontinuing the app, I was really disappointed.

I decided to just buy Tweetbot. I'm a little disgusted with myself for dropping $20 on a Twitter app, but whatever.

The interface is really nice, though.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Sorry I'm no sucker. I'll keep my $20 and use the twitter app or something priced appropriately.

----------

I use the Twitter's Mac app because I love the automatically refreshing timeline. I use Twitter WAY more now because I have this ability. When Twitter announced they were discontinuing the app, I was really disappointed.

I decided to just buy Tweetbot. I'm a little disgusted with myself for dropping $20 on a Twitter app, but whatever.

The interface is really nice, though.

No offense but ya you should be a little disgusted. Its a great app but It's impossible for a stand alone twitter app to be worth $20 IMO. Sorry.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
we use comma instead of a point just as we put the currency after the number and write dates in an order that makes actual sense :p

Yep, taking a decimal number (change at the end of the day is a portion of a whole, aka .50 is one half or 50/100) and throwing in a comma for *****s and giggles, that's "actual sense."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.