Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleflavor

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
Ok, so now I'm getting worried too! If MSCE doesn't help, I can understand that. But if Apple certs don't help much either, what the heck are you guys learning in class? Advanced quantum physics? :confused:

Time for me to go buy Mac for Dummies!

I've been following this thread for a bit, but have not posted because of not wanting to even chance the possibility of saying something I shouldn't on an online forum. But I would like to chime in about training to allay the fears of some new people coming up because it appears that you are only getting one perspective.

I did the training recently for iOS and perhaps CPU is just drastically harder, but iOS is cake. If you know Apple products then I'd say half would be a review for you. If you don't, no worries, just pay attention and also get your hands on an Apple product and do some proactive learning. For iOS there was plenty of time during training hours to go back and review and have access to managers and instructors for questions.

As far as tests, it's open book and you have access to "tier 2"(your trainer). If you are careful and review your questions and use your resources I really don't see how it is possible to fail. I got 100% on all the tests. The people who rushed to finish first or who didn't take the time to review all of the questions and the wording usually ended up missing questions. In my class we didnt lose anyone, but we were told we were the only group not to do so out of four classes going at the time.

Just don't be apprehensive about training. I think most of us are in the "do or die" mentality when it comes to this job. I can only speculate that the people who weren't able to make it through training had some other distractions going on in their lives or didn't take it seriously enough.

Anyways Good luck all!

Genesis32

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2012
I've been following this thread for a bit, but have not posted because of not wanting to even chance the possibility of saying something I shouldn't on an online forum. But I would like to chime in about training to allay the fears of some new people coming up because it appears that you are only getting one perspective.

I did the training recently for iOS and perhaps CPU is just drastically harder, but iOS is cake. If you know Apple products then I'd say half would be a review for you. If you don't, no worries, just pay attention and also get your hands on an Apple product and do some proactive learning. For iOS there was plenty of time during training hours to go back and review and have access to managers and instructors for questions.

As far as tests, it's open book and you have access to "tier 2"(your trainer). If you are careful and review your questions and use your resources I really don't see how it is possible to fail. I got 100% on all the tests. The people who rushed to finish first or who didn't take the time to review all of the questions and the wording usually ended up missing questions. In my class we didnt lose anyone, but we were told we were the only group not to do so out of four classes going at the time.

Just don't be apprehensive about training. I think most of us are in the "do or die" mentality when it comes to this job. I can only speculate that the people who weren't able to make it through training had some other distractions going on in their lives or didn't take it seriously enough.

Anyways Good luck all!

This may be the case for iOS but CPU is like 5x the info of iOS. It's an entity all by itself. Anyone going into CPU please be aware it is A LOT of info and more IT. I agree with PilotDc it is no joke. I'm just being honest and not trying to scare anyone. You have to be organized and manage your time wisely. You have to be an excellent multitasker and have critical thinking skills. There are tons of people trying to get into CPU from iOS and there IS a reason for that. You will definitely see why going through the CPU training.

Be prepared, take good notes and pay attention. You do not want to be let go because of low test scores! It's a waste of time and money.

We had a group of people gone after test 1. That is test 1 people! CPU is no joke!

Sjbuckeyes

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
This may be the case for iOS but CPU is like 5x the info of iOS. It's an entity all by itself. Anyone going into CPU please be aware it is A LOT of info and more IT. I agree with PilotDc it is no joke. I'm just being honest and not trying to scare anyone. You have to be organized and manage your time wisely. You have to be an excellent multitasker and have critical thinking skills. There are tons of people trying to get into CPU from iOS and there IS a reason for that. You will definitely see why going through the CPU training.

Be prepared, take good notes and pay attention. You do not want to be let go because of low test scores! It's a waste of time and money.

We had a group of people gone after test 1. That is test 1 people! CPU is no joke!

I'm CPU and start 11/5. I'm excited and plan on taking many notes!!

Pilot DC

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
All the tech knowledge in the world will not help you that much on this job. Training does cover a boatload of info in a short period of time but you're not expected to learn it all, just be able to find it. So far, the people that have really done well on the phones are ones with customer service skills and multitasking skills. I said it before, this job is about fixing the customer not fixing the device.

Amen! We have people from various tech backgrounds, and everyone is blown away. Those with lots of customer service experience seem to be in good shape.

AngryGerbil

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
Good to know. I have 7 years of Verizon wireless customer service ;)

We have a couple of ex-AT&T and Verizon support people on our team. Kind of a different ball game. Apple actually listens to the customer... I know the carriers don't do that too often.

Liamy2

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
just had a 2nd interview, and was told I will hear the result within 2 weeks. This is bad right?

Same here...just insert within a week instead of 2. It seems as if their minds are made up during the interview if they are advancing you.

----------

So I applied a month ago went through the process Hiring manager and everything. Got the rejection letter. I made a new apple ID process WAS very fast. Talked to a recruiter and was HONEST and told them I already applied and then said OHHHH im sorry call back 3 months......

So has anyone else been told the wait between applications is 3 months? Is that only if you get to the interview stage. And if you are interviewed and then rejected would you take that as - well they aren't interested. Or would you apply again...

I wonder what are the chances any more iOS jobs will open up in the coming months, I feel I would be better suited for that position.

Citychic

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
New York-Dallas, USA
just had a 2nd interview, and was told I will hear the result within 2 weeks. This is bad right?

I think everyones process has been slightly different with response time.. mine has been pretty quick.. I applied a little over 2 weeks ago and Im on the BC now. I have an former colleague who applied two weeks ago and is waiting for interview now.

I think the key is patience .. and after reading how long the BC takes I know I will need a dose of it :eek:

But good luck!:cool:

----------

We have a couple of ex-AT&T and Verizon support people on our team. Kind of a different ball game. Apple actually listens to the customer... I know the carriers don't do that too often.

Same here I have 7 years Verizon landline/3 years fios customer service.. and I also handled the escalations for fios/ some tech so I am pretty well versed I would say.

thaphatdiva

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
Finally....got my offer call today!!!! ;) It's for CPU class but still only part-time-- was hoping for full-time but still beats unemployment at this point and it is Apple :D! Original class date was 11/5 now pushed to 11/12. Pay rate was .50 cents more than originally quoted, now waiting on offer email. Excited to join the Apple team!!!:)

Congrats! I think this is the first I've heard of a class on 11/12. Maybe that means that they are adding more classes.

koolaid-drinker

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Kingsport,Tn
Got my paperwork session scheduled for Tuesday and my paperwork is coming tomorrow.

I had an option to have my session tomorrow but I would be risking it not getting to me in time.

VA-Enthusiast

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012

Both positions seem to state accuracies about the CPU advisory duties. From the training thus far, it's evident that an effective CPU advisor must demonstrate both excellent customer service skills and a good understanding of CPU troubleshooting as it relates to Mac products and complementing applications. Simply put, one without the other will not get you through the training phases. So far, CPU exams seem to have more troubleshooting questions than customer-relations questions. Observation of mentoring calls indicate that most customers have high skill levels with using the Mac and if the advisor has to search around for simple answers (like how to get to certain folders or files on the Mac) it is going to be obvious to the customer that s/he knows more than the advisor.

Last edited:

koolaid-drinker

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Kingsport,Tn
Both positions seem to state accuracies about the CPU advisory duties. From the training thus far, it's evident that an effective CPU advisor must demonstrate both excellent customer service skills and a good understanding of CPU troubleshooting as it relates to Mac products and complementing applications. Simply put, one without the other will not get you through the training phases. So far, CPU exams seem to have more troubleshooting questions than customer-relations questions. Observation of mentoring calls indicate that most customers have high skill levels with using the Mac and if the advisor has to search around for simple answers (like how to get to certain folders or files on the Mac) it is going to be obvious to the customer that s/he knows more than the advisor.

That would make sense.

EyeSpy1492

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
Touché... If it makes you feel any better, all the new iOS hires got kicked down to 20 hours. We had been scheduled for 40 :(

Hmmm... makes me wonder if they haven't 'over' hired, and how many people will be laid off after the holiday rush is over.

mthbz

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
Hellooo!

Have been lurking the thread for months. Just recently was contacted for AHA position!

Timeline:
10/11/12 - Applied for Position
10/12/12 - Email recieved from recruiter, promptly responded.
10/12/12 - Contacted by recruiter, set up FaceTime interview.
10/15/12 - 1st FaceTime interview, went great, set up 2nd FaceTime interview.
10/18/12 - Final FaceTime interview, also went great.
- HireRight package recieved, submitted for BC.

Now, the wait begins...

Estimated start date (training): 11/26/12

I also want to congratulate everyone else who has made it thus far. 'Tis a great company to work for. :apple:

apeonpatrol

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2012
Touché... If it makes you feel any better, all the new iOS hires got kicked down to 20 hours. We had been scheduled for 40 :(

i need 40 or im going to have to pass if i get an offer. i cant afford to live on 20. a friend of mine works for the ios aha and says its a great job but the people who call are mostly clueless. CPU is a lot more troubleshooting and talking with somewhat tech savvy people. he wants to get in to CPU bad and is pissed to hear most of the new hires (hopefully me :) ) will end up in CPU :D

fingers crossed for call and 40hrs

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
Considering the way the market is right now, and gas going higher plus food prices going up, 16 hours at say 10 an hour isn't going to get you very far.. You are better off doing bartending or something, at least there you can make 100 or more a nite, assuming you have a bartender's license.

And frankly, the way Apple would pay for that kind of job is not worth it as you won't be able to support yourself too long on it.

For college kids it might be a perfect amount of hours.

kyur4end

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2012
New York
I was just contacted by my recruiter from Apple. He requested that I send something to him to verify employment for my years as Freelance. Anyone else have their recruiter ask this of them? I haven't heard a word about this from anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.