Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Yep, taking a decimal number (change at the end of the day is a portion of a whole, aka .50 is one half or 50/100) and throwing in a comma for *****s and giggles, that's "actual sense."

how do u divide blocks of thousand then? like one million and fifty cent

"1.000.000,50" makes more sense to me

maccompatible

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
we use comma instead of a point just as we put the currency after the number and write dates in an order that makes actually sense :p

---

anyway, i'll stick to ECHOFONE

Ok. Comma isn't really better than a point. Both make sense. The currency thing is also an opinion. It just depends on whether you want people to know the unit before the number. And the month thing... yeah. You win on that one.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
how do u divide blocks of thousand then? like one million and fifty cent

"1.000.000,50" makes more sense to me

So you're trying to say that in math, when you're not talking currency, that you consider what you just wrote as correct?

Ramboxman

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
I spend $20 on nonsense all the time mostly food, $20 for a piece of software that I use daily and absolutely love on the Mac, iPhone, and iPad is an easy decision for me. Besides I really enjoyed the Alpha and my MacBook is open all day next to my PC and Tweetbot is used more there than my iPhone and iPad.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
pffff $20 my personal limit of apps is $2,99

What up with the comma?

Is it 2 dollars and 99 cents or 299 dollars?

Many countries happen to use the comma to mark the radix point (what you might know as a "decimal point"). Bushido happens to be in Germany, according to his advertised locality, and Germany is one such country. In fact, there are more countries that use comma (a "decimal comma") than there are those that use the period (a "decimal point").

EDIT: source

Back on topic: just purchased Tweetbot. Nothing special here. Wish it had Growl support for us non-Mountain Lion OSX users, but whatevz! A decent client & no qualms about the price considering I have a surplus of iTunes credit dating back to gift cards acquired last holiday season. ;)

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

Gala

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
5 pages of comments and still I see nothing about it!!!!

What's gonna happen to Tweetbot once Twitter cracks down. It's already been stated that Tweetbot doesn't fit the requirements that Twitter is trying to evolve into. Twitter seems to want to put these changes into effect pretty quickly too.

The entire Tweetbot experience relies on Twitter. So really whats gonna happen if I buy this? Twitter could crack down in 6 months - 1 year and reject Tweetbots access to Twitter's tweets. Then what, this $20 app loses ALL functionality?

Don't get me wrong I loved the alpha and the iPhone app but I'm having a hard time justifying spending money on something that might not work in a year. I know they say they'll always continue support, but what will they be supporting if they can't show tweets?

Maybe I'm still just a little bitter about buying Sparrow for iPhone & Mac the day before Google bought them.

MsQueen

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Is it not possible at all for 3rd party Twitter app Devs to strike some kind of bargain with Twitter to acquire more tokens? Is 100,000 the absolute final amount they are provided? There has got to be some alternative, some other route they can take without having to settle with charging consumers so much. Twitter really sucks for their limitations.

That said, I love Tweetbot. It's the best Twitter client on the market, hands down. I've purchased both the iPhone version AND the iPad version and I don't even own an iPad, just to support Tapbot, but at the end, $20 for a Twitter client will never be justifiable.

----------

The alpha will stop working. Mine was working until 8pm tonight.

What timezone? Because my alpha still works and it is 9:22PM EST.

Gala

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
In all seriousness whats the chances that Twitter buys Tweetbot at some point. I think power users (the ones we all follow) make Twitter run & I'm willing to best most power users use Tweetbot.

----------

What timezone? Because my alpha still works and it is 9:22PM EST.

EST. I saw the Tapbot blog post around 5pm and opened the alpha to see if it worked. I pulled it up at 8 and it directed me to the Tapbot page showing the new Mac App.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Would it be reasonable to ask the tweetbot creators for a promise to partially refund all the initial purchasers if twitter changed their policy allowing tweetbot to sell more of their software, and thus lower their price?

If so, that would make the price easier to stomach for now and give everyone more cause to jump down twitters throat about limiting developers.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
to quote a friend, "5 bucks would be amazing. 10 would be doable. but 20? no way."

i know Twitter is ridiculous for the token limiting. I hear what you're saying Tapbots, I really do. But, be realistic.

I really enjoyed the app in beta, but am very disappointed in the price.

It seems more realistic the price the app at a price which makes developing and maintaining the app viable for the company. And apparently $20 is that price.

Gala

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
It seems more realistic the price the app at a price which makes developing and maintaining the app viable for the company. And apparently $20 is that price.

Someone a while back brought up a good point too. With a $20 tag it means that "everyone" wont be buying it. Tapbots seems like stand-up developers and I think they want to know that their "limited" product is going into the hands of people that really want it and will really use it.

StrudelTurnover

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Would it be reasonable to ask the tweetbot creators for a promise to partially refund all the initial purchasers if twitter changed their policy allowing tweetbot to sell more of their software, and thus lower their price?

How about free updates for life?
Or do they already do that? :p

Nah, this is a textbook case of supply and demand curve. People aren't used to thinking that software can run out of inventory.
When they do sell out -- and I'm sure they will because enough people make their livelihood on twitter -- everyone who refused to buy a copy at that price immediately becomes incapable of buying it. And if the people who use it really like it, reverse psychology takes effect pushing the demand curve higher. Maybe they get to release more and drop the price $5, and sales skyrocket. Interesting possibilities.

----------

Tweetbot can b*** me for $20.00. Twitter is such overrated BS for the criminally self- obsessed.
Add a hashtag to that, and you'll fit right in (under 140 char, that is). #censored ;)

Last edited:

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
i did, but there is clearly a finite amount of money they can make from this app, which is unlike any other app in the store.

once the tokens are used up, the money stops rolling in. with no money there isn't anything to fund future development, there isn't any incentive to develop further as there is no money in it.

of course they could make a v2 app that is a "new" app (like what Tweetie did), and they'd have another 100,000 tokens to play with, but who'd be silly enough to spend another $20 on that.

And related to that - since they will have to stop selling the app when they reach their token limit, how can they provide bug fixes and updates via the MAS? They would have to pull the app from being sold on the MAS since the tokens are used up. But if a bug is found, they can't release an update to the app via the MAS because...well, the app has been pulled! And it is against the MAS rules to allow an update system outside the MAS.

So any improvements to the app will have to come with a brand new app that they release via the MAS, which seems to go against logic, in that they'd have to release it for free and somehow allow existing users with tokens to download it. Umm....

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Your assuming that Tapbots can sell $100,000 copies at $20. What if they can only sell 50,000 at that price, do they leave the other 50,000 token un used. I'm guessing that Sensotech is betting that Tapbots will come to the same realisation that Apple did with the original iPhone, that they've priced their product higher than all but the most loyal of users are willing to pay. Nor am I convinced that 100,000 tokens is a hard limit, you may need to cut Twitter in for a bigger cut to get more tokens but its possible that a deal could be made.

Tweetbot doesn't have to sell 100,000 copies. If they sell 1 copy and that user connects to 100,000 accounts, then they can't sell anymore copies.

The authentication token limit is based on the number of users, not number of applications.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
What up with the comma?

Is it 2 dollars and 99 cents or 299 dollars?
It's probably $2.99. I know a lot of people from european backgrounds who use a , where we would use a .

And for the app. I don't use twitter all that much. But seeing it's probably a limited time purchase I bought it. I've only spent more than $5 on a single app 2x before and both of those were OS X. I don't own any iOS devices. And yes the website is free. But I was like what the hell, gotta pay for quality I guess.

The app is real quality though. Sure it's only a twitter client. But it's a damn fine one. Worth $20? That's debatable. I'm sure a lot of people have spend $20 on various cheap ****** apps and regretted it.

In short, if you're a twitter addict, and want a client go and get this now. If you're casual into this maybe the website will suit your needs.

Tastydirt

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
Pricing an app at $20 has it's advantages, you don't have to support the whiney users you see commentating here about how they think even $2.99 is expensive for an app they'd use every single day.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Pricing an app at $20 has it's advantages, you don't have to support the whiney users you see commentating here about how they think even $2.99 is expensive for an app they'd use every single day.

true, but you end up with a customer that expects a certain level of service due to the higher price point.

ie, i paid $20 for this app, i expect this bug to be fixed immediately.

ledbye

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
No sync!

I'm really disappointed: the sync to iCloud is the reason I went from beta to the $20.99 (AUS$...no idea why it was a buck more when our dollar is higher than the US one!) and it will simply not work for me.

I have:

• Deleted both Mac and iPhone apps
  • Signed out of iCloud on both devices
  • Restarted both devices
  • Turn doc sharing on and off
  • Combinations of all of the above

Nothing works! My phone is jailbroken, but both apps are paid for on both devices...there is nothing (I could see) in the documentation on the Tapbots site that said you can't have a jailbroken phone and if I wanted to double check that now, I can't because their website is down!!

I feel I've been really ripped off by this....yeah, it's a great app, but no, it doesn't work as it clearly states it does. My chance of getting a refund...pretty much nil.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.