Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBob2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Hey guys,
My boss wants me to make a slide show that loops for some tvs in our office. The first thing that popped in my mind was the video clip that loops on the TVs close to the Genius Bar in Apple Stores. The video has (seemingly) thousands of words sorted alphabetically, and has a nice blue-ish/wavy background. It will zoom past a bunch of the dummy words and then stop on a word, like "Multi-touch" for example, and give a quick definition. It only cycles through a dozen or so words to show their definition, not every word indexed on there.

Anyways I'd like to see if anyone knew any programs that I could use to replicate that video with our own words/definitions? Price isnt a huge issue (my boss wanted to buy Final Cut Pro, but I kept telling him thats pretty exclusively video editing, not animation creation). I was thinking LiveType was closer to what we needed, or something in Adobe's CS.

Any help is greatly appreciated! And if anyone could find the video I described, or knows the name of it so I can ask around more that would also be a big help.

Thanks guys!!

Jeff

kitsunestudios

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
Apple's "Motion" should do what you need for about $50. That's the program that replaced LiveType.

Adobe CS apps are probably going to be overkill; no templates and deeper controls mean more work for you to get from start to finish.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
After Effects or Motion will get the job done. After Effects more precisely, Motion a little more easily perhaps. Both programs have a pretty big learning curve if you've never used them before.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
If price isn't an issue, I would just hire a motion graphic design company to do it for you.

And people are saying that After Effects and Motion would be good options, but they wouldn't. You would have to have thousands of layers, one for each word, since it doesn't come with replicator abilities without third party plugins. I'm quite experienced with After Effects, so trust me.

That means that it's best done with a 3D motion graphics program (hands down, Cinema 4D is the standard), which costs like $3600. This enables you clone just maybe 20 different words, but make it look like there are thousands.

Truly, I would advise to just hire it out. You'll get better looking results for cheaper.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
This kind of thing, except better and with more words and columns? This took me like 5 minutes in Cinema 4D. It would have taken much longer in After Effects. I still support my initial point that you should hire it out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-18 at 9.22.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-18 at 9.22.22 PM.png
    415.6 KB · Views: 135

stueee123

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2011
Motion

For what you need, motion is probably a good option, its only 50$ and is by far the simplest program of its kind. Watch a couple tutorials and you'll be good :) also, i think there's a trial on apple's website if you want to try it out.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
If you can use photoshop then use After effects. You can set up your animation as a layered PSD the animate the layers. You can also download the fully working 30 day demo. and if you need to carry on outside the 30 days either buy it...or use the demo on another machine.

TheBob2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Thanks for the responses guys! I think im gonna give Motion and PS a shot, and if that fails miserably getting a graphics company like 12Dylan34 suggested.

Thanks again!

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
Just for the record....After effects is vastly more intuitive (IF) you understand photoshop. Motion is fairly unintuitive and will require you doing tutorials.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.