Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clumeng

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2010
I have a 2010 11" MBA 3,1 with 128G SSD (SATA II 3G). Read/Write speeds are pretty poor (100/100 per blackmagic speed test) and I'm contemplating an upgrade to the OWC Aura Pro 240G for hopefully a speed bump and a space bump.

It appears OWC is only offering the 6G version and no longer the 3G version.
Any ideas on if this will still improve speed or will it be throttled to even below 3G? Anyone have numbers?

chevychase

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2008
I'm in the same boat, did you ever figure anything out on a SSD solution? I was wondering on the 3G / 6G.

Davy.Shalom

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2008
I'm curious to know how the OWC ssds affect battery life. If anybody has had any firsthand experience with one of the Aura ssds, let me know please.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I'm curious to know how the OWC ssds affect battery life. If anybody has had any firsthand experience with one of the Aura ssds, let me know please.

It is heavy on power usage. I had one of these in a 2011 MBA and the back of the unit was very warm local to the SSD. For real data go look at the Anandtech review. Very fast though.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Sell it and get a 2011 if you want a speed bump. the SSD isn't slowing you down.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Opening the MacBook air under warranty will void the warranty, right?

Why should it ? And, why would it be noticable ? I changed the SSD several times. Impossible to see that the back had ever be removed. There are no seals on the screws.

Davy.Shalom

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2008
Why should it ? And, why would it be noticable ? I changed the SSD several times. Impossible to see that the back had ever be removed. There are no seals on the screws.

If you run into a hardware problem later on down the road, and a technician opens up the back case, an upgraded SSD is very noticeable. The only way you could make it blend in would be to buy the exact type Apple uses. An OWC upgrade would be extremely conspicuous, and I believe the first thing a technician would assume if there are upgraded non-Apple parts is that the problem stems from them.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
If you run into a hardware problem later on down the road, and a technician opens up the back case, an upgraded SSD is very noticeable. The only way you could make it blend in would be to buy the exact type Apple uses. An OWC upgrade would be extremely conspicuous, and I believe the first thing a technician would assume if there are upgraded non-Apple parts is that the problem stems from them.

I'm assuming you kept the original version to use in the OWC USB box. A quick reinstall if needed obviates the problem you identify.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.