Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gnarl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
I'm sorry if this has been asked/answered before, but I didn't find anything. Anyway, when I receive a call and slide to answer if my phone is locked or pressing the green button if my phone is unlocked there is always this 1 or 2 second delay before I can hear the person who called me and before they can hear me. It's weird so I was hoping somebody has an answer or a suggestion as to what should I do about it. Thank you for reading guys

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
I'm sorry if this has been asked/answered before, but I didn't find anything. Anyway, when I receive a call and slide to answer if my phone is locked or pressing the green button if my phone is unlocked there is always this 1 or 2 second delay before I can hear the person who called me and before they can hear me. It's weird so I was hoping somebody has an answer or a suggestion as to what should I do about it. Thank you for reading guys

I get this intermittently, too. I've submitted a bug to Apple feedback. Perhaps you could do the same. If there are enough complaints Apple may fix it:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

sc4rf4c3

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012

I don't think it's an Apple issue and it seems to be a problem not only to Verizon but also to AT&T. My friend has a Verizon Galaxy S3 and it seems to be doing the same. My sister's iPhone 5 on AT&T is the same thing.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I don't think it's an Apple issue and it seems to be a problem not only to Verizon but also to AT&T. My friend has a Verizon Galaxy S3 and it seems to be doing the same. My sister's iPhone 5 on AT&T is the same thing.
I get the lag on my 4S on at&t. It didn't do it on my 4. A friend with the 4S has the same issue as well.

Last edited:

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
My 4S does it, hubby's 5 does it and we're both on AT&T. It's been this way for quite a while now, though I can't remember if his 4 had the same issue. I think it's the phone service, not the phone, but I could be wrong.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I was just about to make a post on this...

So, yeah, I have this too.

On top of that, people can't understand me well - sometimes at all - if I'm just talking into the phone. However, if I use a headset, the voice quality is excellent.

I am wondering if Apple has something wrong with their new 3-microphone noise-cancelling setup.

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
I have this on AT&T. It didn't do it on my previous generation iPhones. I also remember this happening years ago in T-Mobile with a Sidekick.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I think it happens to my wife on her 4s (verizon) cause every time I call her it's

ring
ring
ring
... (silence)
her: "Helllloooo???"
me: Hi Honey, I've told you 100x that you need to wait a second before you say hello because the person on the other end can't hear you right away....

I think it's MORE frustrating that she can't just work around the issue by waiting, literally, 2 seconds before saying hello...

For what it's worth, it used to happen on her old Galaxy as well so maybe it's a trait of cell phones? I don't know.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
For what it's worth, it used to happen on her old Galaxy as well so maybe it's a trait of cell phones? I don't know.

No, it's not a trait of cell phones - or of networks. At least properly working ones.

I suspect there's an issue in the noise cancellation - the phone may be trying to get a baseline of signal (your voice) to noise (not your voice) and it takes too long to do so.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I haven't noticed this on my AT&T 4S, but I wait for the timer to start counting before I start talking. The timer usually starts at two seconds so maybe I am just not noticing it because I am already waiting. The timer on my 4 starts at :00.

hardax

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
New Hampshire
I get this on Verizon with my old Samsung Zeal dumb phone as well. I have just gotten in the habit of no rushing to start talking after I've answered the phone.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Might be a call setup thing.

In any case, I've had this on my 3GS, my 4, my 4S and now my 5, so I've just gotten used to answer, pausing for a second or two and THEN saying "Hello?"

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
My iPhone 4S and 5 both do this, I believe it to be AT&T. I can't recall if my 3GS or 1 did this, I had actually stopped thinking about it, I've just become accustomed to pausing for a moment after answering, although its more like one full second.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
My iPhone 4S and 5 both do this, I believe it to be AT&T. I can't recall if my 3GS or 1 did this, I had actually stopped thinking about it, I've just become accustomed to pausing for a moment after answering, although its more like one full second.

Neither my 3GS or 4 ever did this on AT&T.

DrFreeze21

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2011
IP5, AT&T

Does anyone on this thread have Onavo installed? I used to have the same issue with the 1-2 second delay as well as issues with delayed receipt of voicemails until 2-3 days after the call actually came through. Also, had an issue where, after rebooting the phone, I would be unable to connect to data network for ~10 mins. I uninstalled the Onavo profile and delted Onavo from my phone and it has resolved all my problems. Hope it helps!

Gnarl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
I had a 3GS and 4 on AT&T and never has this issue. Damn, my phone is otherwise perfect, but this delay drives me nuts sometimes. I'll make a trip to apple store and see if those einsteins can do something about it... Nobody I know has this delay when answering the call

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I noticed this even on my 4S. But it wasn't always like this. I have at&t.
Either they changed something, or there is something in ios thats making it do it.
I don't have any experience with other phones with this problem, so i can't comment if its an iphone only thing or not.

I literally got into a fight with my fiance because of this once.

It seemed like everytime she calls me, i'd pick up and it would go like this:

me: Whats cookin good lookin
Her: ......
me: babe?
her: ......
me: hello?
me: HELLO!!!!!!
her: Hey hun
me: WHY THE HELL DOES IT TAKE YOU SO LONG TO ANSWER ME!!

Gnarl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
I noticed this even on my 4S. But it wasn't always like this. I have at&t.
Either they changed something, or there is something in ios thats making it do it.
I don't have any experience with other phones with this problem, so i can't comment if its an iphone only thing or not.

I literally got into a fight with my fiance because of this once.

It seemed like everytime she calls me, i'd pick up and it would go like this:

me: Whats cookin good lookin
Her: ......
me: babe?
me: hello?
me: HELLO!!!!!!
her: Hey hun
me: WHY THE HELL DOES IT TAKE YOU SO LONG TO ANSWER ME!!

I know! I got my phone through company because I work as a tech/customer support and I get a lot of calls a day. Every time somebody calls me I feel like a moron uttering 'hello' hello for few seconds until my Edison iPhone patches me through.

Joesmith13245

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Noticed this issue when I switched to IPhone 5/IO6. My wife has the same issue with same hardware/OS config. The issue is pretty consistent. We have AT&T.

djuzi05

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2011
Had this issue in my iPhone 5 (AT&T) since release day. Never had it in my 4S. I just say hello 2 times it's really annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.