Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider reports on a research note from Evercore Partners analyst Robert Cihra, who suggests that Apple may discontinue the iPad 2 alongside the launch of the "iPad mini" next week in an effort to keep the company's product lineup from expanding too much.
Rob Cihra with Evercore Partners said in a note to investors this week that he sees Apple phasing out the current iPad 2, because Apple's overall vision calls for "clearer product tiers." The prediction comes as Apple is expected to lower the barrier to entry of its iPad lineup by unveiling a new, smaller iPad next Tuesday.
ipad_2_front_side_smart_covers-500x407.jpg
In a similar strategy to that used for the iPhone, Apple has continued to offer the iPad 2 since the launch of the third-generation iPad earlier this year, offering consumers a $399 entry point for its tablet family. With the introduction of the iPad mini, Apple will be able to offer the tablet experience at even lower pricing, albeit with a smaller screen, lessening the need for the company to continue offering the iPad 2.

The claim appears to be based entirely on speculation and we have heard no specific word of Apple planning to discontinue the iPad 2, so we are treating the report with skepticism unless additional information surfaces.

Article Link: Analyst Speculates Apple Could Drop iPad 2 for 'iPad Mini'

Ktulu

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Brownstown, MI
Makes Sense

This makes a lot of sense and would eliminate the questions of pricing and where the mini would fit?

Woot! First Post. :)

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
It saddens me to think that these "analysts" are getting paid for their wild, unfounded speculation.

----------

This makes a lot of sense and would eliminate the questions of pricing and where the mini would fit?

Woot! First Post. :)

I'm sorry, but this isn't PerezHilton.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
That appears to be a logical thing to do at this point. No sense in muddying the product line with too many choices in versions, colors, cellular carrier, storage capacity and now screen size.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
thats what i was "afraid" of and why i replaced my iPad 2 with an iPad 3 a while ago. i still wanna get iOS7 support on my fairly new device ;)

iPad 1 *sigh*

cyberspread

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Colorado
iPad Mini should be 299.00

If the iPad mini doesn't start at 299.00, I will be disappointed. I would like to see it even less so we see more people adopt the platform.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Apple can lower the barrier further by offering a small chalkboard styled to look like an iPad and sell it for around $35.00.

If the iPad mini doesn't start at 299.00, I will be disappointed. I would like to see it even less so we see more people adopt the platform.

I that thats the highest entry level price that there could be. I think the $250 is also equally possible. $200 is a huge longshot, but honestly Apple has the supply chain/manufacturing to make that happen if they really wanted to.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Phasing out the 20-pin connectors

This makes sense for another reason: if Apple does a refresh to the iPad 3 to go to the Lightning connector, then only the iPad 2 would have the 30-pin connector. Apple likes nice sleek product lines where accessories should work with all products; cutting off the iPad 2 is the simple way to eliminate the last of the 30-pin connector devices.

Last edited:

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
This makes sense for another reason: if Apple does a refresh to the iPad 3 to go to the Lightning connector, then only the iPad 2 would have the 30-pin connector. Apple likes nice sleek product lines where accessories should work with all products; cutting off the iPad 2 is the simple way to eliminate the last of the 30-pin connector devices.

Uh... Fixed that for you.

geek36

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2012
make sense, why would apple continue to sell ipad 2 now that the new ipad has better features yet, they were in the same form factor. so ipad mini will replace the ipad 2 sku when it launch.

Tingler

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2012
If the iPad mini is set to replace the iPad 2, the the mini's specifications must be the same as those of iPad 2 or better. Otherwise, replacing iPad 2 won't make much sense.

lucasmonger

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
Illinois
I that thats the highest entry level price that there could be. I think the $250 is also equally possible. $200 is a huge longshot, but honestly Apple has the supply chain/manufacturing to make that happen if they really wanted to.

I think $249-299 is a pipe dream. With the iPod at $299 and the 10" iPad at $499 it only makes sense that Apple would price the iPad mini at $399. The kicker here will be that maybe, just maybe it will come with a retina display to continue to differentiate themselves from the low-end Google and Amazon offerings.

We can continue dreaming about a $200-300 low-end tablet, but why do it if people are already willing to pay? They have pricing power and will probably continue to use it.

The really wild and crazy dream would be $199 for iPad Mini, $299 for fullsized iPad, and the Microsoft Surface would be DOA as a result.

tbone0726

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012

Aren't you forgetting the iPhone 4?

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
That appears to be a logical thing to do at this point. No sense in muddying the product line with too many choices in versions, colors, cellular carrier, storage capacity and now screen size.

You must have missed the mile long page of SKUs indicating that they really don't care about having all those options in several versions

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
This would be a real shame. At our local primary school we are using ipads for more and more things, and want to keep buying them until we have one for every student. The discounted ipad2 is ideal for this application. If they "replaced" the ipad2 with the ipad mini this would be a significant step backwards.

pradeepgj

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010

The 16GB ipod touch starts at 299. If they price the ipad mini at the same price, then the ipod touch sales would be hit hard. I know that they are different form factors, but any one who has money for just one of those, will prefer a ipad mini for a ipod touch.

Since ipod touch is already selling for 299, I would say 349 as the starting price for the mini.

And btw, apple is a greedy company. I dont see them giving up on price so easily.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA

Except for the iPhone 4S... and the iPod Classic... and the iPod shuffle...

It'll be a while till the 30-pin is gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.