Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

natwister2003

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
F2 here manufactured week 40, and it has the flicker interlacing thing. I first noticed it when I thought I could see pixels from afar and I thought I was just being dumb. It never occurred to me that it would be the flicker. It doesn't bug me too much, unless my brightness is up, but I don't want to play the lottery with cosmetic issues on replacements and go through like a dozen phones to get one that doesn't have the interlacing.

I sent that picture to my friend who got her phone the day after me and she has interlacing as well. Another friend who's was a pre-order doesn't have it. I'll probably wait it out a bit since it doesn't affect me as much.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Can someone post a picture of what the F2 flickering looks like without looking at the attached image the OP posted?

I obviously have that flickering but that is not a realistic image that I would ever have on my phone. Where are you guys seeing the flicker/interlacing in other areas?

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
DN - No flicker (unless I turn it up to max brightness, then there may be a very slight flickering,almost unnoticeable, but that could be my eyes).

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
serious question.....why does it matter if that one image has a flicker to it? Most of you reporting you have it probably never noticed anything wrong before that image.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
DN

I see flickering ONLY when the launching an app and it kind of "springs" open and when hitting the home button and the app "shrinks" closed. Other than during that opening/closing it just looks like a nice solid grey wallpaper.

Prior to loading this wallpaper I had never noticed any screen issues at all no matter what my background was.

Flicker while opening / closing an app with one specific wallpaper is loaded is not an issue for me. I'll be keeping my phone as-is.

Last edited:

natwister2003

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
Can someone post a picture of what the F2 flickering looks like without looking at the attached image the OP posted?

I obviously have that flickering but that is not a realistic image that I would ever have on my phone. Where are you guys seeing the flicker/interlacing in other areas?

The flickering only appears under dark backgrounds. For example, if you set it as your lock screen as well, the dark area around the time will also start to flicker and next to the slider.

serious question.....why does it matter if that one image has a flicker to it? Most of you reporting you have it probably never noticed anything wrong before that image.

It's not the flickering that bugs us, it's that vertical lines are on the screen that affect the images on the screen, which also cause the flickering in the first place. When I first saw my phone, I thought the screen looked pixelated at first, but I just shrugged it off. I'm probably not going to replace my phone any time soon.

Also, the brighter the screen, the more noticable the interlacing is. So the flicker would be moer noticable the brighter the screen is.

Last edited:

lguest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
The thing that does disturb me on a routine usage is the vertical scan lines or interlaced lines, which makes me dizzy and gives me sore eyes.

The flickering image just seems like a byproduct of the interlaced lines or some other problem that just exists in the screens with interlaced vertical lines.

Btw, I had a F2 week 38 phone and returned it because of this issue. The genius bar told me that this is normal. I apparently have a microscopic retina.

----------

DN

I see flickering ONLY when the launching an app and it kind of "springs" open and when hitting the home button and the app "shrinks" closed. Other than during that opening/closing it just looks like a nice solid grey wallpaper.

Prior to loading this wallpaper I had never noticed any screen issues at all no matter what my background was.

Flicker while opening / closing an app with one specific wallpaper is loaded is not an issue for me. I'll be keeping my phone as-is.

Seeing distorted images when the display changes is probably normal. The flickering there is caused since the software tries to figure out how to color the fragments(pixels) and they approximate things when the image does not really align with the pixels.

For example, the image I posted has 640 white and black lines alternating which is exactly one pixel wide. When you happen to move the screen around and land a line in the border of two pixels, the software has to approximate the color to put on, and this is probably what you are seeing.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Seeing distorted images when the display changes is probably normal. The flickering there is caused since the software tries to figure out how to color the fragments(pixels) and they approximate things when the image does not really align with the pixels.

For example, the image I posted has 640 white and black lines alternating which is exactly one pixel wide. When you happen to move the screen around and land a line in the border of two pixels, the software has to approximate the color to put on, and this is probably what you are seeing.

Cool! Thanks for the information!

imazu

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2012
Couch
So, I don't really know what I'm supposed to look at but I just installed it and see what happens.
I see rainbow color in vertical lines after I unlocked the screen or close apps or grouped apps.
Is that ok?:confused:

lguest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
So, I don't really know what I'm supposed to look at but I just installed it and see what happens.
I see rainbow color in vertical lines after I unlocked the screen or close apps or grouped apps.
Is that ok?:confused:

I think you are OK. The flickering we are discussing here happens on the lock screen or the home screen even though you just leave it as a still image.

What is the factory and build week of your phone?

katmeef

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
Aside from the test wallpaper, I see it on the background behind the keyboard, and on the status bar at the top anytime it is blue. Also on on-off toggle buttons it is pretty apparent

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Aside from the test wallpaper, I see it on the background behind the keyboard, and on the status bar at the top anytime it is blue. Also on on-off toggle buttons it is pretty apparent

Yes those are the major problem areas. Also while playing games I keep catching interlacing patterns out of the corner of my eye. It's also really bad on the scroll bars especially in Safari when the scroll bar is over white. You can actually see the interlacing moving around like there's interference or something.

Jinzen

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
F2 - no flicker.

Owned a DN that was replaced that had the Flicker. Ultimately returned due to other screen issues.

Cscottrun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
F2 with terrible flicker. I also noticed that when I open and close apps, or unlock the phone, the wallpaper turns rainbow-ish for a second.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
C3 and no flicker here. What I do see is when apps zoom open or closed, are vertical lines for a brief second, but no flickering anywhere. How do people find these weird things?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Just got a week 40 F2, cosmetically near flawless (one super minor blemish near the lock button that adds character).
I don't detect an interlacing screen either (should be obvious having brightness cranked and looking at that camera app icon with one's head tilted).

Fonts look smoother too from multiple angles. Maybe this is a Sharp in it.

My heavily interlaced one was a week 30 something (I think 31 or 32) DN and same with the one before it.

Also switched from white back to black.

Was too scared to try the OP's picture, but I did anyways and like I thought, the screen on this one is fine

:D

so happy, what a headache of a process in general.

Last edited:

lguest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
Just got a week 40 F2, cosmetically near flawless (one super minor blemish near the lock button that adds character).
I don't detect an interlacing screen either (should be obvious having brightness cranked and looking at that camera app icon with one's head tilted).

Fonts look smoother too from multiple angles. Maybe this is a Sharp in it.

My heavily interlaced one was a week 30 something (I think 31 or 32) DN and same with the one before it.

Also switched from white back to black.

Was too scared to try the OP's picture, but I did anyways and like I thought, the screen on this one is fine

:D

so happy, what a headache of a process in general.

Good for you! Did you just get a replacement?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
yep after a few failed trips.. and lots of time wasted with Apple over the phone, AT&T getting into hypothetical scenarios haha

but alas, SUCCESS!

Also: AT&T stinks on this one -- after 14 days, even though Apple gives you 30 day return policy, the contract CANNOT be rescinded without paying that ETF. So anywhere between days 15-30 you can't return and re-buy if you prefer to have a retail one, or if you want to switch colors. Yikes!

Alot of the display phones seemed fine too when I loaded the wallpaper, though there were a few that were doing it just like on mine (narcolepsy intense) FWIW

It's not just the 5 though. Every iPhone has had its share of shall we say "panel discrepencies" or corner cutting.

Google "negative black first generation" if you care to know. Inverted darks so it looked like an X-ray, IMPOSSIBLE to watch movies that have dark settings.

...This display is gorgeous. I feel like it's the one that Tim probably has in his pocket as well.

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
landscape videos on a non fudged screen look GREAT and definitely different.

they looked alright on my vertical-y previous iPhone but sort of fuzzy, lacking that last push of sharpness and almost interlaced instead of progressive output.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Crank your brightness to full with that wallpaper. Mine flickers like crazy and im going for a replacement tommorow. F2 also ... Its actually really annoying and i can even see it more when im using the phone horizontally

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.