Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
I'm really disappointed: the sync to iCloud is the reason I went from beta to the $20.99 (AUS$...no idea why it was a buck more when our dollar is higher than the US one!) and it will simply not work for me.

I have:

• Deleted both Mac and iPhone apps
  • Signed out of iCloud on both devices
  • Restarted both devices
  • Turn doc sharing on and off
  • Combinations of all of the above

Nothing works! My phone is jailbroken, but both apps are paid for on both devices...there is nothing (I could see) in the documentation on the Tapbots site that said you can't have a jailbroken phone and if I wanted to double check that now, I can't because their website is down!!

I feel I've been really ripped off by this....yeah, it's a great app, but no, it doesn't work as it clearly states it does. My chance of getting a refund...pretty much nil.

yep, icloud syncing doesn't appear to work reliably for me either.
my iphone isn't jailbroken though.

ledbye

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
It's so annoying...I have been trying to fix it pretty much all day.

One thing: My Mac App store ID is different to my iTunes ID (I was new to Mac and inadvertently set up a different ID for the Mac on the first day I got it), but my iCloud on my Mac is signed in as my iTunes ID (i.e. the one that's used on my iPhone)...all the stock apps like iMessage, calendar and some third party ones all seem to work fine with it but Tweetbot refuses.

As my iPhone is jailbroken, I was able to use iFile and remove everything 'tweetbot' from it and reinstall from the the iPhone App Store again...still, no syncing.:confused:

Anyone got any suggestions?

ImageWrangler

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2007
upstate New York
Considering Twitter was invented for narcissists and because masturbation in public is illegal, the ultimately "look at mmeeEEEE" app with no real room for true communication and commenting like, oh, Facebook, or Macrumors, it's self-aggrandizing platform I think $20 is too low. In fact, as it's just a giant circle-jerk, they should raise the price for everyone to yank it in public to $20 and Tweetbot can go to $40. It'd still be not worth it except those who think they should be a center of attention but hey, those people usually have money as they suck the air out of the room.

gc916

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
I'm really disappointed: the sync to iCloud is the reason I went from beta to the $20.99 (AUS$...no idea why it was a buck more when our dollar is higher than the US one!) and it will simply not work for me.

I have:

• Restarted both devices

Nothing works! My phone is jailbroken, but both apps are paid for on both devices...there is nothing (I could see) in the documentation on the Tapbots site that said you can't have a jailbroken phone and if I wanted to double check that now, I can't because their website is down!!

I feel I've been really ripped off by this....yeah, it's a great app, but no, it doesn't work as it clearly states it does. My chance of getting a refund...pretty much nil.
I'm having the same problem, although my iPhone isn't jailbroken. I have sent an email to Tapbots support. Will report results when I hear from them.

Gala

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
Considering Twitter was invented for narcissists and because masturbation in public is illegal, the ultimately "look at mmeeEEEE" app with no real room for true communication and commenting like, oh, Facebook, or Macrumors, it's self-aggrandizing platform I think $20 is too low. In fact, as it's just a giant circle-jerk, they should raise the price for everyone to yank it in public to $20 and Tweetbot can go to $40. It'd still be not worth it except those who think they should be a center of attention but hey, those people usually have money as they suck the air out of the room.

You just described me to a tee.

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
I have no objection to paying $20 for a quality, well developed and supported app. It causes pause, however, to pay $20 for an app which leverage a third-party service when said third-party service has effectively stated it's desire to exterminate these apps. I legitimately question how long the company will be able to survive and actively develop, even at the higher price, if Twitter doesn't give them room to grow with additional tokens (which they have thus far rejected). I hope Twitter changes their narrowed minds as apps like these are a big part of why my use of Twitter has grown.

Twitter isn't going to reverse their policy. They want to limit and ultimately kill off Twitter experiences outside their control. Their priority is the web because they can use it most effectively for ads, promoted tweets and sponsorships. I think the goal is to throttle enough developers into submission so that eventually they can kill off third-party apps entirely.

I wouldn't waste $20 on this. There's absolutely no motivation for support and updates to continue on the software once the tokens are exhausted. I'm sure the comments on their blog are well intentioned enough. But I've seen enough of these kinds of commitments in the past only to later be met with a 'sorry we promised too much' follow-up post. Without financial incentive, Tweetbot for Mac will die a slow lingering death once the tokens are all gone and their ability to sell ended.

Last edited by a moderator:

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
Personally not paying $20 for a twitter app, nor will I be revoking my tokens. When the money grabbing stops and the price becomes reasonable, I'll buy it, but until then, the token stays on the several accounts I used during the betas.

Same here!

Cool, then I hope that they pull it from the app store the day before you decide you want to buy it. That, or jack up the price to $40 starting today

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Cool, then I hope that they pull it from the app store the day before you decide you want to buy it. That, or jack up the price to $40 starting today

Let them, and I'll keep my tokens indefinitely. It's horrible business to play petty games with customers who are disappointed. Passing the screwing you're getting from another company (one you've decided to bet your livelihood on, no less) to your customers is also horrible business sense. Also, being a tool on an interet forum to someone simply because they value their $20 differently than you do? You must be quite proud of yourself.

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
I must be just totally missing something.

$20 bucks .. heck, $5 bucks, for an application.. that I can open a web page and do the same thing?

Unless there's parts of Twitter that I'm just totally missing. I simply do not get it.

Twitter makes money somehow. But however that is, they're going to be pricing them selves out of existence with this holier-than-ever attitude of limiting connections, and themselves deciding to drop support for their own clients.

What is this, PalmOS all over again? Look where that stupidness got them.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
Also, being a tool on an interet forum to someone simply because they value their $20 differently than you do? You must be quite proud of yourself.

Quite proud. I don't feel the need to piss and moan about spending a whole $20 on an application that I use quite frequently and actually do see the value in purchasing.

Seeing people deliberately hoarding tokens just to "put it to" the 3rd party dev that was put in a difficult situation just annoys me. Sorry for caring about the devs, my bad.

Last edited:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
ie, i paid $20 for this app, i expect this bug to be fixed immediately.

That's the problem with users; they think fixes can be done immediately.

My BMW still has a crap load of software bugs, like wrong navigation directions and even a simple thing like disabling the parking sensors when you have a trailer attached. Should I expect them to fix them? No. Ever? Never.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Well, now the app is already posted on a Chinese forum.....Guess the 100,000 tokens won't last long.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Let them, and I'll keep my tokens indefinitely. It's horrible business to play petty games with customers who are disappointed. Passing the screwing you're getting from another company (one you've decided to bet your livelihood on, no less) to your customers is also horrible business sense. Also, being a tool on an interet forum to someone simply because they value their $20 differently than you do? You must be quite proud of yourself.

No one is criticizing you for valuing your $20 differently. It's your desire to screw someone else because you don't want to pay $20 for an app that I don't understand.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
No one is criticizing you for valuing your $20 differently. It's your desire to screw someone else because you don't want to pay $20 for an app that I don't understand.

So I should screw myself out of tokens on MY account and the ability to use this app, just so the dev can make $20 on someone else? Not my problem, not should the dev try to make it my problem. Customer is king, so don't put your baggage on them.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
So I should screw myself out of tokens on MY account and the ability to use this app, just so the dev can make $20 on someone else? Not my problem, not should the dev try to make it my problem. Customer is king, so don't put your baggage on them.

That's some circular reasoning. What ability to use the app do you have if you are not going to pay for it? It's not like you are going to have the ability to purchase the app after they run out of tokens. There's no reason for the position you have taken other than spite.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY

You aren't their customer, you aren't buying their product.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
That's some circular reasoning. What ability to use the app do you have if you are not going to pay for it? It's not like you are going to have the ability to purchase the app after they run out of tokens. There's no reason for the position you have taken other than spite.

I've explained my reasoning several times in this thread, not that I have to justify a single thing to you. I'm keeping the tokens on my accounts because I feel that when (not if, but when) they come around and put this product at a decent price point, I will purchase it. When I do, I don't want to worry that they may not have enough tokens to satisfy the accounts I wish to use. I also feel that if they fail to lower the price and their tokens run out without seeing the "big bucks" they obviously want, they'll think twice about pricing a product in this manner in the future and will instead seek other methods than passing their problems on to their customers.

You aren't their customer, you aren't buying their product.

Actually I am, I purchased Tweetbot for iPhone and iPad (which should've been a universal app, but once again, they make more money by having the separate), and if the price becomes sane for the OS X version, I will gladly purchase Tweetbot for OS X.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I've explained my reasoning several times in this thread, not that I have to justify a single thing to you. I'm keeping the tokens on my accounts because I feel that when (not if, but when) they come around and put this product at a decent price point, I will purchase it. When I do, I don't want to worry that they may not have enough tokens to satisfy the accounts I wish to use. I also feel that if they fail to lower the price and their tokens run out without seeing the "big bucks" they obviously want, they'll think twice about pricing a product in this manner in the future and will instead seek other methods than passing their problems on to their customers.

You've explained that several times. It just doesn't make any sense. If they run out of tokens, you aren't going to be able to buy it. So the tokens you are holding on to are useless.

And if they run out of tokens at $20, that justifies their position. It won't make them think twice about anything other than a higher price.

Again, your position is nothing but spite.

Tweetbot for iPhone and iPad (which should've been a universal app, but once again, they make more money by having the separate)

So, if they make more money by having the apps separate, why should they have made it universal? Do you understand the point of a business?

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
You've explained that several times. It just doesn't make any sense. If they run out of tokens, you aren't going to be able to buy it. So the tokens you are holding on to are useless.

And if they run out of tokens at $20, that justifies their position. It won't make them think twice about anything other than a higher price.

Again, your position is nothing but spite.

Once again, I don't need to explain myself to you or anyone. Go ahead and call it spiteful, not going to change the fact that this is a crappy way to run a business and shouldn't be rewarded by paying $20 for the app or giving up tokens to let them do it to someone else. Maybe when they hit their limit after 20k in sales due to people no revoking and piracy, they'll think twice before trying to pull this again. In that case, the customer base wins. If they don't, then I and other will continue to vote with our money and go elsewhere.

EDIT: Yes I do understand the point of a business. I also understand that without customers, you have no business, so instead of the mantra of "PROFITS PROFITS PROFITS ABOVE ALL ELSE", a better outlook would be "Be fair to our customers and they'll be fair to us." Sure, a company may work with the first mantra, but is that really how you want our world to be, "Screw everything else, we're making money!!!"?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Once again, I don't need to explain myself to you or anyone.

Of course not. But the point of posting in this forum is to have a discussion.

Go ahead and call it spiteful,

I already did. Twice.

not going to change the fact that this is a crappy way to run a business

Seriously, it's like they are doing this to make money. :rolleyes:

and shouldn't be rewarded by paying $20 for the app or giving up tokens to let them do it to someone else.

How does this make sense to you? You actually feel the need to prevent people who are willing to pay for the app from doing so. Amazing.

Maybe when they hit their limit after 20k in sales due to people no revoking and piracy, they'll think twice before trying to pull this again. In that case, the customer base wins. If they don't, then I and other will continue to vote with our money and go elsewhere.

:D I think you are severely overestimating the number of people who participated in the beta and are unwilling to purchase the app or revoke their tokens.

Yes I do understand the point of a business. I also understand that without customers, you have no business, so instead of the mantra of "PROFITS PROFITS PROFITS ABOVE ALL ELSE", a better outlook would be "Be fair to our customers and they'll be fair to us." Sure, a company may work with the first mantra, but is that really how you want our world to be, "Screw everything else, we're making money!!!"?

Fair being defined by Senseotech, as opposed to the free market. Tapbots isn't screwing anyone. They offer their products for sale. Their customers determine if the price is worth it.

Last edited:

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010

I have:

• Restarted both devices

I could never get my Tweetbot icloud sync to work with my iPhone 5 and iPad either, sucks to hear it doesn't work with macs either was looking forward to it working with my new imac. :mad:

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
Actually I am, I purchased Tweetbot for iPhone and iPad (which should've been a universal app, but once again, they make more money by having the separate), and if the price becomes sane for the OS X version, I will gladly purchase Tweetbot for OS X.

Tweetbot for iOS and Tweetbot for Mac use different tokens so again, you aren't their customer, you refused to buy it. The only thing you are doing is denying them the ability to sell a copy because you are upset. You are guaranteeing them one lost sale. Congrats.

Seriously even with my elementary understanding of economics I understand that this is the only thing they could do. Would you rather them sell it at $2 and then in 2 days time they sell out and can never sell it again? That sounds ******* brilliant. Higher cost = less sales equals keeping it available to people who really want it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.