Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
What a prat, he needs to lean how the real world works, big opportunities like this don't come along too often especially in the current labour market.

I'm sure he'll be just fine. You do realize why he got this opportunity right? he obviously has skills...

Id be surprised if Apple paid him more than he received in donations for his jailbreak releases.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Probably mostly lies in this story....

It's not like Apple wouldn't let him know while he is employed as intern that they will be re hiring him....

If they knew before he left town that they were going to rehire him, sure. But they might not have made that decision before he left. Perhaps because they originally wanted him to be in Cupertino and it was only after he went back home that they decided that they didn't have to have him in Cupertino and he could do the job wherever just fine

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Wow...I would definitely be on top of any email offering me long term work, especially at Apple.

Sometimes people that are really smart and talented become arrogant and think that the world will just cater to them. Sounds just like a dose of the real world to me.

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
What a douche bag.

My thoughts exactly. He's just a punk kid with a very specific skill set. Other than that, he's still a doofus. I work around kids like this all the time (I do IT for a University). Hey, I have degrees, too (Masters), but the attitudes these kids have are ridiculous. Man, if I have to hear "that's SO leet" one more time today...

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
i wouldn't have thought he made that much of an impression during his time at Apple... If he had i'm sure someone at apple would have been on the phone to him to remind him to reply to the email, or would have simply got him to sign something quickly to ensure he stays onboard.

No disrespect to him; he clearly has talent, the fact they even offered him a return proves that, but what i'm saying is, he clearly wasn't a "we've got to keep him!" type of employee... So, chalk this down to just a lost opportunity - he's young, he'll have plenty of time to loose more opportunities or grasp them if he really wants... One things for sure; he'll take offer letters more seriously in the future ;)

padrino121

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2004
Wow...I would definitely be on top of any email offering me long term work, especially at Apple.

Sometimes people that are really smart and talented become arrogant and think that the world will just cater to them. Sounds just like a dose of the real world to me.

There are so many flawed assumptions in your post.

1. If you want it so bad go get a job there yourself? Like every company it has it's ups and downs.

2. I read the email as a young kid not necessarily having a handle on how things are done. The jealously underlying your tone tells me your view will be quite different, and just a little bit sad.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I'm wondering if "remote intern" is just a clever way to "fire" him without legally firing him.
Was he being pushed out of the company, now that they got whatever info out of him they wanted.
Was he a remote intern before, or was this a change in title/designation/status?

Anyone heard of this before?

That was his title the whole time...he was a paid intern who worked remotely, presumably because they weren't going to pay him to relocate to Cupertino.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Who FORGETS to respond to a letter asking you to continue a business relationship with APPLE? Agreed to others' comments; this kid seems to be the "my **** don't stank" kind.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
He no longer works there. He didn't get fired. He just ceased employment. His "term" was up and it wasn't renewed.

But that being said - I find the comments of some of the posters here far more "douchey" than this guy. No one knows the exact details of what went "down", what he did at Apple and what his goal are.

He might have some growing up to do - but what's your excuse?

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Who FORGETS to respond to a letter asking you to continue a business relationship with APPLE? Agreed to others' comments; this kid seems to be the "my **** don't stank" kind.

I was contracting for several years, and I had a 2+ year contract end unexpectedly because, due to personnel changes on both sides, my contract renewal simply fell through the cracks and got missed. And, due to the personnel changes, I didn't have contact information for any of the new people I then needed to get in touch with to figure out why I hadn't heard anything. :(

**** happens. In this case, it was he who didn't prioritize something properly. Kinda sucks, but *most* businesses handle offer-letter deadlines pretty strictly. I've been able to drag a few extra days out of some, but for most it's been a case of 1-2 days, '**** or get off the pot'.

Either way, he had a hell of an opportunity, and took advantage of it for a while. He probably won't have trouble getting a 'real job' when he's ready to get back onto the market.

----------

He no longer works there. He didn't get fired. He just ceased employment. His "term" was up and it wasn't renewed.

But that being said - I find the comments of some of the posters here far more "douchey" than this guy. No one knows the exact details of what went "down", what he did at Apple and what his goal are.

He might have some growing up to do - but what's your excuse?

According to the details available, it looks like they offered to renew, but he messed up by not responding before the offer expired. If anything, that probably makes it *worse* from his perspective.

Other than that, you're spot on.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
I find some of the comments here pretty appalling - it's not like this guy is now unemployable.

Moreover, Apple looks shortsighted here - they neutralized a threat through contract rather than seeming to build on his skill set.

Virtual Steve

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012

Attachments

• hp_dbag.jpg
    hp_dbag.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 2,095
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.