Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jerbeck24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
I just received my black 32GB iPhone 5 on Monday. It was in perfect condition, no scuffing or anything when I took it out of the box. I used it Monday night, Tuesday, and Wednesday without any problems at all. I went to bed last night and plugged in the charger into my phone and went to sleep. My phone is my alarm clock and it didn't wake me up this morning. I went to look at my plugged in phone and it was off and EXTREMELY hot. I mean hot enough that it was hard to pick up. I had the black Diztronic TPU case on it and I took that off hoping it would cool down and I could turn it back on. Three hours later, it was back to a normal temperature and it still won't turn on about 10 hours later.

I just got home from the Verizon store and they obviously couldn't do anything but order me a replacement. I should have a new iPhone 5 tomorrow, but still is a pain in the ass to lose my phone for two days. I still have this other phone and I'll have to send this back once I receive the replacement they sent me.

Has anyone else had this happen? I've searched the threads, but didn't see anyone else post anything like this. Yes, I tried to hold the home button and the power button down until the Apple logo shows and so did the tech support at Verizon, but that doesn't work with this phone. Hopefully my replacement is in perfect shape like this one was when I received it... :(

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
When your phone overheats, it turns itself off at a certain temp.
If you still have the phone, charge it via the wall. If the overheating happens again, it could be that you have a faulty charging cable.
After charging for at least 6 hours, try dfu.

jerbeck24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
When your phone overheats, it turns itself off at a certain temp.
If you still have the phone, charge it via the wall. If the overheating happens again, it could be that you have a faulty charging cable.
After charging for at least 6 hours, try dfu.

I'll definitely try that...thanks so much! At least I'll be able to use it tomorrow if it works. They already ordered me a replacement. If I get this one working, think I should try to keep this one and send back the "replacement"?

jerbeck24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
i think just send the old one back to them.

Yeah, I probably will. I'm just afraid it's the charger and it'll ruin the replacement they sent me. Do you think the replacement is a refurbished iPhone 5 or is it too early in the game to have a refurbished iPhone 5? I wish Verizon was replacing it with a brand new phone...they said it may be brand new, but if there is a refurbished iPhone 5 available, they'll send one to me.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
For in store replacements, they don't include accessories so I wouldn't count on it.
The charger may attach in the new one,so you don't use the old charger to charge the iphone5 when you get it.
Or,use the USB cable connect the PC to test first?

jerbeck24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
For in store replacements, they don't include accessories so I wouldn't count on it.

Yeah, just got it today. Not sure if it is a refurb or new. Came by itself without any accessories. Even had to take the old sim and put it in the replacement. Don't have a choice other than to try the original charger unfortunately...

Donj

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2013
For those of you that have an iphone 5 ios 6.1.4 dat won't turn on nd have tried everything except a restore cos some of my sources say they tried a restore nd it never came on again. there might be hope becos mine does it every now and then so it's like there is a bug in this version of the ios I have noticed that the iPhone 5 is sensitive to temperature in my case due to the fact my house is always cold because of the AC my iphone 5 will just turn off long story short if yours is off nd it feels cold it's possible that trying the hard reset, charging or trying to boot it normally may not work try heating it a bit I don't mean microwave it becos your gonna get I crispy fried iphone 5 I mean hover it around heat to make it warm, you knw how hot it gets when ur playing a game yep that kind of warm den try booting it normally or the hard reset. It sounds weird and it is but those cool enough to try it may have their dead iphone 5 back to life. I have done it to mine twice now nd will post a video if it does it again let me know if it works for u or not note your battery should be charged. Ok mine has done it again and hear is the video link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il6fUuhBtXE of how to do it

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.