Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Right and you cannot set the resolution to scaled 1920X1200 then. Oh, wait, you can.

You could also download the setres command line tool to set it to the native resolution any time you wanted.

I've successfully run my rMBP in 2880X1800 mode.

Guess what Sherlock, you're right :eek: but for the 'best for retina' scenario all that is worthless - kind of 1/3 of what makes these displays really interesting is stuck with less screen real estate than my 2 years old MBA - there is NO sound reason to keep the 13" display stuck there - your smart reply doesn't change that.
And why did you mention your 15" again?

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
$1699 is right when you compare it with the MacBook Air. Remember, the base processor in the 13" Pro is faster than the i7 option in the Air. Plus, the Retina Display is a lot nicer, although it has less usable room (being 2x 1280x800 vs 1440x900 on the 13" Air). The 13" Air with i7/256GB/4GB RAM is $1599.

Yeah. Except, with all those batteries how much is this lead weight gonna weigh?

The whole inside is batteries. :confused:

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I do not understand the logic of including HDMI.

Apple did not provide HDMI when Apple TV was not that popular.

Now AppleTV, QuickSynch Technology easily mirrors your mac to the TV.

HDMI will be useful sometimes, but not a lot.

I hate to dip into the "what would Steve have done?" territory, but it seems obvious to me that HDMI never existed on a Mac until after Steve Jobs was out of the picture. Perhaps it was something that the engineering team always wanted to include, but was held back by Jobs?

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
I hate to dip into the "what would Steve have done?" territory, but it seems obvious to me that HDMI never existed on a Mac until after Steve Jobs was out of the picture. Perhaps it was something that the engineering team always wanted to include, but was held back by Jobs?

+1000, I thought exactly also.

But it is too late, but it is good for guys who does not own an Apple TV.

Of course one can connect external monitor using the HDMI, but Display port does the same with adapter. It is good anyway.

Last edited:

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK

It may be because they have more room to work with on the other side of the machine, since there is no longer an optical drive. I'm really looking forward to this machine; how would the $1699 price point convert to GBP? I was hoping it to be £1500 max for the base model.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
It may be because they have more room to work with on the other side of the machine, since there is no longer an optical drive.

That is a great point.

I suppose someone will probably chime in and ask why HDMI wasn't on iMacs and Mac Pros, however.

Then someone will say that they aren't mobile devices and don't need them.

Then we'll see next week if the new iMacs have HDMI and settle it.

:)

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Welcome to the future or as I like to call it, 2013.

Well I havent ever used ny optical drive on my 2007 macbook. Im still suprised ppl compain that there wont be one. Usb is a much better option. My tv tskes it directly. Home stereo and car takes it. Can store and erase files. What on earth do u do with a cd these days????????

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Well I havent ever used ny optical drive on my 2007 macbook. Im still suprised ppl compain that there wont be one. Usb is a much better option. My tv tskes it directly. Home stereo and car takes it. Can store and erase files. What on earth do u do with a cd these days????????

Cup holder :p Especially those old AOL CD's I have from years ago...

coolstuff92

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
It may be because they have more room to work with on the other side of the machine, since there is no longer an optical drive. I'm really looking forward to this machine; how would the $1699 price point convert to GBP? I was hoping it to be £1500 max for the base model.

I've been working this out, and comparing it to the rumoured $1699 price tag, and noting that the high end 13" MBP and MBA start at £1249, i'm guessing £1399.

zaphoyd

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2002
Wisconsin/Illinois
I do not understand the logic of including HDMI.

Apple did not provide HDMI when Apple TV was not that popular.

Now AppleTV, QuickSynch Technology easily mirrors your mac to the TV.

HDMI will be useful sometimes, but not a lot.

The inclusion of HDMI is almost certainly because they want to still allow two extra displays even when thunderbolt ports are being used for other things like wired networking or storage. Apple can't include more than 2 thunderbolt ports without adding more large and expensive thunderbolt controllers and eating up extra PCI-E lanes. An extra non-thunderbolt mini-displayport connector would confuse people because it would look identical to the Thunderbolt ports but work very differently. HDMI (for adaptor less connection to modern TVs and projectors) seems like a pretty good option to me if more than two Thunderbolt ports aren't in the cards.

iMac's likely don't have HDMI because they have an internal display and built in firewire/ethernet so both thunderbolt ports are available for displays and the need for non-daisy chain-able adaptors is less. I wouldn't be surprised to see two thunderbolt ports on the new 21 inch iMac. I also hope they put two thunderbolt ports on the new Mini instead of TB + HDMI since there are cheap TB->HDMI adaptors but no HDMI->TB

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Here's hoping it still has a FireWire port... I've heard horror stores of the Thunderbolt to FW800 adapter not working well at all.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
I'd expect the 13" rMBP to offer resolutions options of 1280x800, 1440x900 and 1680x1050, similar to how the 15" rMBP offers resolution settings.

And 1680x1050 on a rMBP (which is non-native) still looks 10x better than a regular MBP with the high-res display at native res.

applepeeler

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
native resolution

Ok so I am not a computer guy maybe someone can answer this... If a writing program gets fuzzy on a retina 15" like Final draft... if the 13" is 2560x1600 and my Nec 30" monitor is same resolution and not fuzzy... will it work the same on the 13"?

also if I want to process 16mp photos from my Nikon D4 in photoshop and some lite video work in Final cut X will it be fine or get the 15"? thanks. ;)

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
The Retina MBA will only have 1280x800 usable resolution? The non-Retina is 1440x900...

...so going to get a refurb from Apple.com after the keynote. Since my 2008 MBP, I can't go back from 1440x900.

number9

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2004
USA
The days of Apple Laptops with optical drives are over.

----------

Wouldn't the 13" screen have been easier to develop and manufacture than the 15" though?

The 13" size is the most popular, and will sell in much higher quantities than the 15" given the price point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.