Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Probably not worth the money at the moment. But I guess these machines are standard in 2 years, and then hopefully the price have come down.

But right now I don't see how they provide more value than the older ones. Especially against MacBook Air.

Probably around 2000 bucks for the higher end model, which Apple has made sure it's the one you should get since you can't configure the lower end model with all options... just because of their greed.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
With a discrete GPU I would consider it an instant buy. But since it likely only has the HD4000 I will wait until next year's 15" rMBP.
With the way Apple is pushing out heavier graphics using OS X versions that's a smart move. It'll likely be far more upgradable.

Although, if they put out a 13" rMBP with a discrete card I'll buy one. This 07 white MB is getting long in the tooth.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
The same will likely be true for the next 2-3 years. Steve was likely involved in at least the idea stage of everything for the next 10 years. Or at least a lot of it.

Highly unlikely. A two year window for consumer electronics is very long, ten years is absurd.

There is no "Steve Jobs 'n' year product roadmap", get used to it. The Iphone 5 is probably the last item that Steve had even tangential input on. It's the rest of Apple running (or ruining) the show now.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Why does it need two thunderbolt ports. I'd much rather have an extra usb or an ethernet port. Thunderbolt is a failure.

Thunderbolt is needed if you want DisplayPort/DVI/VGA or a FireWire/Ethernet adapter. Since all those end the chain, that would not leave room for a Thunderbolt accessory like an external Thunderbolt drive if there was a single Thunderbolt port.

Thunderbolt drives aren't popular right now as they don't offer significant performance improvement over USB 3 external mechanical hard drives. Mechanical hard drives account for the vast majority of external hard drives right now. Once SSDs will become cheap enough, people will start considering external SSDs and that's where Thunderbolt will come handy, offering a significant speed boost over USB 3.

If the past is any indication, current designs should last around 5 years. At the rate at which SSD prices are decreasing, I think it's reasonable to think that some of the people who spend $2k+ on a laptop right now are the kind of people who are likely to buy external SSD sometime in the next 5 years.

A failure for me would be to be unable to use FireWire and an external display at the same time on my rMBP. I'm glad I can.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Probably around 2000 bucks for the higher end model, which Apple has made sure it's the one you should get since you can't configure the lower end model with all options... just because of their greed.

I just can't imagine spending $2000 on a computer these days. It seems like the costs of Windows machines have dwindled to nearly nothing, but Apple prices have remained static. Due to this, I can imagine a time in the near future when only prosumer-types or professionals own a real Mac and the rest opting for iPads or cellphones.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Highly unlikely. A two year window for consumer electronics is very long, ten years is absurd.

There is no "Steve Jobs 'n' year product roadmap", get used to it. The Iphone 5 is probably the last item that Steve had even tangential input on. It's the rest of Apple running (or ruining) the show now.

You're kidding right? The man was sketching comfortable, hospital bed iPad stands in his last days - he would have pumped out as much vision as he could. Why wouldn't he try and roadmap the company's future as far ahead as possible? He created, lived and breathed Apple..

Last edited:

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
I can't wait to see how laggy the interface is. My 3615QM powered 15" MBP struggles with interface lag when locked to the HD4000 (forcing using gfxcardstatus) at 1440x900, so this is going to be worse. I don't understand this whole "retina" ********. I don't have horrible vision and at the distance most people use their machines from their face there isn't that big of a difference and anyone who says otherwise is just falling for Apple's marketing. Now of course if you stick your face up to the display, you can tell, but who uses their machine like that? No one.

I am all for the updated design but this ridiculously high resolution nonsense is just pointless.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Yeah. Except, with all those batteries how much is this lead weight gonna weigh?

The whole inside is batteries. :confused:

Batteries are heavy now? The 15" rMBP is lighter than the 15" cMBP. The 13" rMBP will be lighter than the 13" cMBP, but not as light as the 13" MBA.

Any chance this thing will support 16GB of memory?

The CPU supports it, not sure if Apple will offer it as an option. I'd like to think they will.

Like its 15" inch cousin, the ram is likely soldered on and you can opt to pay for more ram at the time of ordering.

True, but I don't think that is the question he was asking.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
You're kidding right? The man was sketching comfortable, hospital bed iPad stands in his last days

Links?

- he would have pumped out as much vision as he could. Why wouldn't he try and roadmap the company's future as far ahead as possible? He created, lived and breathed Apple..

Perhaps because he was suffering pain that was only bearable because of the opiates that were being dripped into his bloodstream.

Not really the best environment for creating 10 year roadmaps.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I just can't imagine spending $2000 on a computer these days. It seems like the costs of Windows machines have dwindled to nearly nothing, but Apple prices have remained static. Due to this, I can imagine a time in the near future when only prosumer-types or professionals own a real Mac and the rest opting for iPads or cellphones.
Apple prices have dropped a lot. In 05 I bought a 12" PB for $2500. How much is a 13" these days? $1200+. For all intents and purposes that's half.

Apple makes a profit while most other computer makers are making a tiny percentage and struggling. I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice if Apple dropped the prices but they're out there to make money for their stockholders and they're doing that handsomely. It's all about what the market will bear. Some people simply don't understand that or are greedy themselves.

StealthGhost

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Apple prices have dropped a lot. In 05 I bought a 12" PB for $2500. How much is a 13" these days? $1200+. For all intents and purposes that's half.

Apple makes a profit while most other computer makers are making a tiny percentage and struggling. I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice if Apple dropped the prices but they're out there to make money for their stockholders and they're doing that handsomely. It's all about what the market will bear. Some people simply don't understand that or are greedy themselves.

By "Apple prices" you mean just the market in general. I bought a pretty bad HP for 2k and it went up to like 4k. Apple is still over priced, but if you enjoy your purchase and it doesn't bother you then on a personal level it's fine.

dljeffery

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Issaquah, WA

That is certainly not true of the 15" rMBP line. If you go onto the store, start with each of the two stock models they offer, and max out the configurations, they come out with exactly the same specs for exactly the same price. And in fact there is not even a single option available on the higher end model that isn't also available on the lower end model.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
retina_macbook_pro_13_right_ports.jpg

Power button on the keyboard! :eek:

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
How could there not be a discrete GPU with that port configuration?

I am shocked to see two Thunderbolt ports along with an HDMI port in this 13" rMBP. In my opinion, along with the pricing suggestion of $1699, this means there will be a discrete GPU in the 13" rMBP.

This also means that I will make the switch from my 15" rMBP to the 13" rMBP. Unfortunately, I am disappointed with the LG display in my rMBP, as it is affected by image retention. I pray that Apple got this worked out on the 13" rMBP. I sure wish Apple could get along with Samsung or find another manufacturer other than LG to provide Retina displays for Macs. Love the Retina displays, but not the LG IR issues.

Lastly, anyone have any guesses as to when Apple will release a 27" Retina Display? I love my Thunderbolt display, but I cannot wait until Apple offers a Retina version. Love my iPhone 5's display, and I sure hope this IGZO technology makes it into other Apple displays very soon.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
I hate to dip into the "what would Steve have done?" territory, but it seems obvious to me that HDMI never existed on a Mac until after Steve Jobs was out of the picture. Perhaps it was something that the engineering team always wanted to include, but was held back by Jobs?

The mac mini had an hdmi while he was around. Pretty sure he saw these products that are coming out now. Was in the pipeline. It wouldn't have fit with the old designs. The retina design fits the port better. Where would they have put it on the macbook pros?

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I am shocked to see two Thunderbolt ports along with an HDMI port in this 13" rMBP. In my opinion, along with the pricing suggestion of $1699, this means there will be a discrete GPU in the 13" rMBP.

That is a very good point. In addition, since cooling is better in the 15" rmbp than the 15" mbp, I think we can also assume that the new cooling design would seem to enable discrete graphics in a 13".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.