Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macaddictann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
I've noticed that every time I go through the security gate at the library of the hospital I work in, I hear a faint, high-pitched whine. I put two and two together quickly and realized it was the iPod that was responsible. I don't know how those gates work except I sort of figure that if the security device is magnetic, the gates are checking for a certain...polarity? Or something. I really don't know magnets. ;) So assuming this is the case, I figure it must be the battery that causes that noise.

I don't imagine there's any harm in this, really, but I just wanted to make sure--it's not going to do damage, is it?

macaddictann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
So...should I turn it off? Would that matter? I mean, I'm over there for 4 hours for a shift and bring it with me for the walk there, the walk back, and the time I'm there. I can't imagine it's too damaging because...I mean, people with pacemakers have to shop, right? And how do you get a purchased computer through the security gates without killing it?

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
Don't worry, security gates won't mess with your pod.
You should be fine.

Security gates respond to the frequency emitted by the security device in the object, not by magnetic means.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.