Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
Dear iMac owner,

Apple has determined that certain 1TB Seagate hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems may fail. These systems were sold between October 2009 and July 2011.

Our records show that you have an iMac with an affected 1TB Seagate hard drive. Apple will replace your hard drive with a new one, free of charge, under the iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program.

Please choose one of the following options to get a replacement hard drive.
•
Apple Retail Store - Set up an appointment with a Genius.
•
Apple Authorized Service Provider - Find one here.
•
Apple Technical Support - Contact us for local service options.
Apple recommends replacing your affected hard drive as soon as possible. Before you go in for service, please back up your data. Learn more about backup options.

Additional Information

You will need to have the original Mac OS installation discs that were shipped with your iMac in order to reinstall your operating system, other applications, and any backed up data after your hard drive is replaced.

This worldwide Apple program does not extend the standard warranty coverage of the iMac.

Apple will replace affected 1TB Seagate hard drives, free of charge, for three years from your iMac’s original date of purchase or until April 12, 2013, whichever provides longer coverage for you. Apple will continue to evaluate service data and provide extensions to this program as needed.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Apple Inc.

TM and copyright © 2012 Apple Inc. 1 Infinite Loop, MS 96-DM, Cupertino, CA 95014.
All Rights Reserved / Keep Informed / Privacy Policy / My Apple ID

If you prefer not to receive commercial email from Apple, or if you've changed your email address, please click here

I have had no problems yet, but I guess now I am going to let them replace it. Better to be safe than sorry.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I also received that email. I dont want my iMac opened up - I will keep backing up my HD - before 3 years are up I will have them replace it (maybe).

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Received the email as well. Had to take my in anyway to have it looked at as the hdd was making some crackling noise. Plus it has been slowing down my system as of the last 2 weeks. Guess someone was looking out for me on this one. But I still have AC anyways so it would have been covered. And have backups of my hdd just for this kind of situation.

lisababes

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
WI
I got this email also. I only have a few months left, so I guess I should just do it, however much I don't dig having my mac opened up before necessary.

Relatedly, to those of you who own the same era mac, I've been having some really really quick screen flashes for the last year; not the black out flippy-flicker stuff that everyone reports, but very quick like a strobe - so fast I cant tell if its black or white. Full screen. Anyone else have this? Again I was waiting til the end of my applecare to worry about dealing with it...

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
So they will replace my drive but NOT transfer the data for me?

This is about as much fun as when they held my iMac for over two weeks to fix it. Its not like these damn things are all that portable (27 inchers)

xplnusa

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2009
Idaho
I just go that email today too. I'm going to wait until I pick up a new one in the next couple of months and then I'll take it into have the HDD taken care of.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I just go that email today too. I'm going to wait until I pick up a new one in the next couple of months and then I'll take it into have the HDD taken care of.

That might be a good idea, provided the new ones actually are real performance kick. I don't care to reload my data as I do not back all of it up (time machine is horrid and I do have a Bootcamp install)

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.
Also got email.

Only thing I am worried about is my music. I have iTunes Match and all my tunes loaded on my iPhone. Just wondering how I will load my music back. Should I use Match or another app to transfer my music from my phone back to my Mac? Any info would be appreciated. :apple:

ADR

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
I received the same email this morning. I'm not looking forward to lugging that computer around on the subway. Thank god I kept the box. Maybe I'll just take a taxi (¥5000 :( ).

At any rate, before I go, I will need to get some kind of external hard drive unit for backing up my data. I've been thinking about getting something big anyhow so I can record audio etc. Any recommendations?

joenj07087

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2011
one of the reasons I left the PC world and Dell was to avoid mayor hardware problems that were always popping up with Dell.....but now Apple is doing everything possible to be as bad as them....terrific! and mayor inconvenience too....logging that thing around...they better don't brag about their Quality Control Dept. cos I swear I will toss my Imac on top of their heads...!

Polydactyl

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2009
Anyone know what the failure rate of the Samsung drives actually is? I got the email from Apple so I could get it replaced. However, mine has worked flawlessly for 2+ years (2010 27"), and I'd rather leave well enough alone.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
I received the same email and I will have the HDD swapped. Does anyone know how long the swap takes? I am guessing that it will be reasonably quick as it is just a Genius appointment? FWIW - I did a complete restall from Time Machine/Time Capsule this past year and it was easy and painless. Not looking forward to reinstalling Snow Leopard - Mountain Lion though. You would think that they would put their OSX back on

mannyo1221

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Blandford, UK.
This is not a new program. Apple replaced the Seagate 1TB drive in my 27" imac 12 months ago as part of the replacement recall. The 1TB Seagate drive was replaced in the Southampton UK Apple Store in less than 3 hours, I picked it up the same day with a Western Digital 1TB drive installed.

You cannot tell my machine had been opened, no marks or anything anywhere. The store preloaded Lion for me, so all I did was fire up Time Machine and do a full machine restore. Several hours later, the machine was back to how it was earlier in the day.

12 Months later, the replacement drive has been fine and the imac is still running perfectly well except now running Mountain Lion.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I got the same email, which amused me because although I did buy a 27" iMac a couple of years ago, I returned it (yellow screen thing) and declined a replacement.

I wonder if the email went out to everybody who ever bought one, regardless of what happened after that.

Doesn't speak well for Apple's data base management.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I have the 27" imac purchased on June 2011 with the 1TB hard drive, but when I plug the serial number into apple's website, it says that my imac is not eligible. I called Apple, and they said that my model does not fall into the defective batch that's being replaced. I'm glad that I don't have to go lug mine to the Apple store, but I hope that they're info is correct.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Yea i received the letter as well. I have never delt with the genuis bar folks before. Can you make an appointment in advance, i have a coulpe free days coming up and would like to schedule the appointment for then.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
You guys don't read the front page do you. :p

Anyways I got mine replaced yesterday, since the 1tb seagate I had in it before was slowly dying.

They replaced it with a new Seagate, but I think it might be a different line. Compared to last one, this one is near silent in casual operation.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
I have the 27" imac purchased on June 2011 with the 1TB hard drive, but when I plug the serial number into apple's website, it says that my imac is not eligible. I called Apple, and they said that my model does not fall into the defective batch that's being replaced. I'm glad that I don't have to go lug mine to the Apple store, but I hope that they're info is correct.

Do you have a link for page to check eligibility?

skyenet

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Near Glasgow - Scotland
Do you have a link for page to check eligibility?

Go onto your local Apple website and choose SUPPORT from the top menus. On the Support page (in the UK anyway) there is a section Exchange and Replacement Programs. In that there is a link to the Mac 1TB Seagate Replacement Program. That will then take you to a page where you can enter your serial number.

My 2009 iMac is booked in on Tuesday and hoping they might even sort my screen at the same time :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.