Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you prefer, Mac or PC?

• Mac

Votes: 35 66.0%
  • PC

Votes: 18 34.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iMacBookPro

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Los Angeles, California
People always buy PC's to play games with. Thats just stupid since Macs do so much better things. It has a nice screan then most PC's. There just better. Once you get a Mac you can never go back to PC, its just not as good. People with PC still feel there better than Macs which is crazy. Apple For LIFE!!!!!! :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Help me, what is the question for the poll ? Could you clarify the wording ?

Do I own Mac ? Do I like Mac ?

What should I say if I have both ?

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
People always buy PC's to play games with. Thats just stupid since Macs do so much better things. It has a nice screan then most PC's. There just better. Once you get a Mac you can never go back to PC, its just not as good. People with PC still feel there better than Macs which is crazy. Apple For LIFE!!!!!! :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

How old are you?

Sahee

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2012
Germany

The first three sentences are quotes from advertising...
I buy a PC because I dont want to limit myself on a single company (apple). My desktop (custom build) runs windows 7 and 8 + linux and my laptop windows 8 + linux. I always test several devices and read reviews to get the best of the best... and I have fun while doing this.

26. October I will replace my Zenbook with the Asus Taichi and maybe I will trade my Iphone for a Windows 8 Phone aswell (Lumia 920 for example)... but I will wait for reviews. The Asus Zenbook has the best Display on the market with a nit of 450 and a dpi of 180, it has a better colour rgb than the retina-macbook... and its matte, that's why I bought it.

When you buy apple you will need to accept the flaws that many of their devices have, as you have no choice but to buy that device... as there is no counterpart. I would never buy the Macbook-Air right now as it does not support NFC and does not have a tablet mode. The Display-Resolution is outdated aswell. Altough think about how many adapters you need when you carry a macbook... just imagine how much time passed by until apple implented usb 3.0 and hdmi in their devices... and hdmi is retina-version only!

Last edited:

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012

Who do people buy PCs?

Because there is always a choice.

Mdwall

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Probably several reasons. To name a few:
1. Larger selection of games and software in general
2. More familiar with the PC.
3. Price of entry and I think this is a big reason. When the cheapest Mac is 1000.00 for an 11" screen when a rather nicely equipped PC with a larger screen and arguably better specs can be had for the same or less.

I game very little on computers as I am a console guy myself but when you can simply pop in a newer more powerful graphics card and RAM to play the newest game at a nice resolution vs. the limited options for a Mac, this creates another hurdle.

That having been said, I am seriously interested in a MBP partially out of curiosity because of my great satisfaction with both my iPod touch and ipad. But also the demo macs I have played with have a certain "feel" that I haven't ever really gotten from a PC.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011

Somebody needs to get out of the house. There's more to life than an Apple love-fest kid.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
People always buy PC's to play games with. Thats just stupid since Macs do so much better things.

I am a very large fan of Apple, but this is a fairly ignorant thing for you to say. I have a PC and I use it 99% of the time for games (the other 1% is for using work VPN because their instructions don't work worth a damn for my Mac). Anyway, I have yet to find a game that plays as well on a Mac, be it natively or in bootcamp. I'm sure there are a few out there that I haven't tried, but in my experience, gaming is better FOR ME on a PC.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I don't feel like having a poll asking "Mac or PC" on a Mac forum is productive, but alright then...

I think a lot of PC people buy PCs because some are really cheap and that's all they need, some buy because they need to run PC specific software, or have a hugely better selection of graphics cards, and some buy for the reason that I buy Macs: I prefer the experience and the look and feel of how it does my computing.

A very small percentage of Apple haters probably buy everything non Apple they can just to spite the company. I had a friend (yes, we can be friends) that bought a cheap Chinese iPhone knockoff because he felt like it was taking sales away from Apple.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA

It depends what your looking for.

A mac is a poor choice for large enterprise networks, hence when you don't see them very much.

Or for me, I have incredibly high hardware requirements, something that Macs can't meet.

I've always owned Macs, but one thing they were never able to do is replace my high powered PCs for work.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Mac's are no better than PC's hardware wise. As a matter of fact, PC's are much more flexible, easy to repair if there's ever a problem. I can swap out a hard drive in less than 2 minutes. Try doing that on an iMac or a Mac Mini. What if your Power Supply, or any other component goes on an iMac? I'll bet it cost a fortune to replace any part if it's out of warranty.
That said, it all depends on your needs. I own both. Sometimes I prefer my PC, sometimes my Mac's.

I forget to mention, I've been building my own PC's since the early 90's. Yes I've own a few Dell's over the years, and believe it of not, they've been dead reliable.

Last edited:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

A Mac is a personal computer too, is it not? ;)

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I choose PC because of their flexibility and cheapness compared to Macs. But I do also like Macs.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I have one PC left in the house (dedicated OTA-WMC), else I began drinking the Apple cool-aid about 2yrs ago.

Apple stuff is made very well and has fantastic iter-device connectivity.

I don't miss tweaking the BIOS or just a general hatred of the Registry.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I choose PC because I appreciate having next day service if something breaks. With apple, if my MacBook Air breaks I'm without it for a week.

I choose PC because I don't need to spend almost 2x as much for a lower spec Mac than a Dell.

I choose PC because I can pick the best product for me.

Why did you pick PC?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
How old are you?

Having read - closely - the OP's original post, (and winced; my inner grammar fascist and anal retentive spelling nerd had to be gagged with duct tape), the very same question occurred to me.

Probably several reasons. To name a few:
1. Larger selection of games and software in general
2. More familiar with the PC.
3. Price of entry and I think this is a big reason. When the cheapest Mac is 1000.00 for an 11" screen when a rather nicely equipped PC with a larger screen and arguably better specs can be had for the same or less.

That having been said, I am seriously interested in a MBP partially out of curiosity because of my great satisfaction with both my iPod touch and ipad. But also the demo macs I have played with have a certain "feel" that I haven't ever really gotten from a PC.

That is it; price (which matters in a recession, with salary cuts), versatility, wide availability of user platforms, the fact that Windows machines dominate workplaces and one needs to be familiar with them, and obviously, gaming strike me as the obvious reasons for choosing PCs over Macs. My brother has just bought a Samsung laptop for around a third of what I would pay for a machine from Apple with considerably lower specifications.....

Personally, I prefer Apple (because of OS, because of warranties that are honoured, because viruses, malware, trojans and spam are so much less of a nuisance on a Mac, and of course, because of the sheer style of the computers Apple makes). However, others make their - rather different - choices for perfectly good reasons.

Because it's cheaper. But seriously, who cares what people use.

Indeed. I agree with you. Completely.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I had assumed that most people grew out of this obsessive behaviour after their early teens.

I've been a Mac user for the past 5 years, but I'm currently building a Windows 8 machine for gaming/work purposes. Going to replace my current Mac lineup with a MacBook in the new year for college, maybe.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why does it have to be either or?

I have both in my house. I prefer Macs but Pcs have their place, in fact on my Mac I often use Vmware as well.

Its not like you'r choosing a wife, but rather using a tool, I pick the tool that best fits my needs. Now I think OSX has a lot of advantages, though windows 7 is a great OS. I also like how well Macs are designed and built but I opted to build my own PC and it equals the clean design of a Mac Pro.

The moral of the story, I like both, I use both and there's no wrong answer.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
We have both in our household. Previously, we only bought windows-based PCs because of the game support. Sure there are games for OSX but not as many as Windows. The games have also been historically cheaper on Windows. So if someone wanted a system purely for gaming, I'd mostly say Windows is the OS to run. If they want a mix of functionality, OSX will give them that, especially with Bootcamp to run Windows.

Honestly, for a general operating system, I've always preferred Unix but again it depends what I'm doing. I never cared much for Linux but if it wasn't Windows and it wasn't OSX, I'd be looking at a BSD based OS on my system. This would be if I wanted to play very very few games :)

In terms of laptop hardware, I really like the Macs. I've tried all varieties of higher end PC laptops but never cared too much for anything except the Apple ones.

My husband mostly uses his computer for games so he only wants to run Windows so his interests would be in Windows-based PCs. I come and go for games and OSX provides me enough of what I need and I have a bootcamp partition if I want something else.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
That same old question again. There's no answer to it. There are several reasons why a person would choose a PC over a Mac and vice-versa. Macs are not better than PCs. They may be better at some things. But there's always personal opinions and preferences here. We could discuss this through eternity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.