Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your iPhone 5 have light leak problem??

• YES

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • NO

Votes: 60 80.0%

• Total voters

simercool

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2011
New Delhi
Please answer the poll. I have got my white iphone 5 replace 2 times.. But every time their is light leak issue in the unit..

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

simercool

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2011
New Delhi
Poll? What poll?

wanted to create a poll to see how widespread this issue is... as i have already replaced my iphone 5 2 times and still i see the issue of light leak near the power button..
but for some unknown reason, I am not able to create a poll... i don't see a option under Thread tools to create a polls.. :eek:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Cant tell if its just the bad camera you're using, but seems like there's pink light bleed all over that screen.

I had two whites, neither had light leak near the lock button though they had other issues.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Plus I think it opens up the chance for dust to get into the unit.

my iPhone 3G back in the day had light leak.

simercool

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2011
New Delhi
Cant tell if its just the bad camera you're using, but seems like there's pink light bleed all over that screen.

I had two whites, neither had light leak near the lock button though they had other issues.

I used iphone 5 to take these pics.. :p

----------

Plus I think it opens up the chance for dust to get into the unit.

my iPhone 3G back in the day had light leak.

went to apple store.. They are saying almost every white unit is leaking light.. Thats why i wanted to create a poll and for unknown reasons i am not able create one..:mad:

yateseyd1991

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2011
UK
White 32GB here, no light leak whatsoever, week 41 production

:apple: iPhone 5 32GB White, iPad 3 16GB Black, iPod Video 5.5G 120GB, Shure SE425's :apple:

Last edited:

simercool

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2011
New Delhi
2 white 32 gb --- 32nd(Aug) and 38 (Sept)

1 white 16gb - 40 ( Oct)

and the problem is in both 32 gb(both).. May be i need to go to apple store and get 40th week iphone but there is no way to confirm that during exhange.. :(

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I currently have a Verizon 32GB white model, week 37, and no light leak. Previously had an AT&T 16GB white, and no light leak with it.. although it did have slightly mushier home button, slightly less clicky sleep button, the top glass back inlay was unflush on one side with the back, and the screen would look pink with polarized shades on. Sent from my iPhone 5

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
I have a white 16gb with a slighty loose power button and no light leak.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Can I repost something I put in another thread? Well, here goes...

On closer inspection of the "gap", the light leak is coming from the LED itself. On the back of the LED there is a metal plate (see image). Close to the area where the light leak was when looking at the phone from the front, the metal was not sealed against the LED properly (a 3/4mm gap) so light shone upwards towards the power button. There was no leakage around the rest of the metal plate. I placed a small amount (5mm wide) black tape over the leak. Now when sealed up there is zero light leak seen. DIY My phone is pristine and I did not want to return it again because of the leak, so it was easier to do it myself. As I said before too, it's easy to reseat the screen in that corner first so the gap is reduced anyway.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 168

droeun

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2008
Both mine and my wife's white iphones have this issue. I think most users don't have brightness up high enough in the dark to really notice it. I didn't want to bother exchanging it since I've read that even the replacements have the same problem.

I'll bring it back later if dust becomes an issue, but hopefully it won't. If you think that leak is bad, try turning on your camera flash or a flashlight app in the dark :eek::eek::eek:

iBaloney

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Have a 32gb white week 42, no light leak, flawless.

I also had a week 38 and 40 without leaks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.