Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
AVPlayeHD cannot stream straight off a Network, you have to copy the file to the ipad .....

cooa99

Yup, the lack of networking support is the biggest problem with AVPlayerHD. Nevertheless, for playing back local content, it's clearly better than Buzz.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
As a matter of idle curiosity, why are subtitles such a big deal to you? I watch maybe one or two subtitled movies a year.

My mother tongue isn't English; therefore, I need at least English CC's to catch all words and to understand everything.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
If your forum posts are anything to go by, you seem to do ok!

Thanks. Nevertheless, there are always some 1-2 words I can't understand from movies / radio plays without having the transcript of the scpeech - this is why I like having CC's.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
My mother tongue isn't English; therefore, I need at least English CC's to catch all words and to understand everything.

Cool - my wife is Finnish too. She got her degree here in the US though, so English comes pretty well.

She's the only Finnish person I've ever met though that didn't have a noticeable accent, so she's probably an outlier.

yourmother

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Japan
I have and watch mostly avi files but I do have the occasional nonHD mkv with srt. What app would you guys recommend?

Thanks I really appreciate it.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Sorry if has been posted, but does this app blocks the sound aswell regarding de ac3 licence support?

It does, unfortunately.

----------

I have and watch mostly avi files but I do have the occasional nonHD mkv with srt. What app would you guys recommend?

Thanks I really appreciate it.

No full HD? Then, GoodPlayer is an excellent choice, unless you have AC-3 audio.

Batnun

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
London
Heh. Fortunately I already have it installed, and once purchased you can even reinstall. I haven't found a single bug running under iOS6 so am bemused as to why it's been withdrawn.

I also have it inatalled, but I'm going to pre-order the iPad 4 on Friday...

When you restore your device from the iCloud backup, it's actually re-download all the apps from the App Store, and if one app is removed - you're not going to have it... :(

Is anyone in touch with the developers? Any updates?

Batnun

Peter62

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Goodplayer audio problem

It does, unfortunately.

----------

No full HD? Then, GoodPlayer is an excellent choice, unless you have AC-3 audio.

Hi i am following this discussion as i am trying to figure out why goodplayer is not playing audio on most of the avi files and video-ts files. I stream the media with use of the FTPcloud player and an external harddisk. On some avi files it does but not on the majority, is this a bug of goodplayer or is it something simple i have overseen?
Thanx for your opinion guys

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hi i am following this discussion as i am trying to figure out why goodplayer is not playing audio on most of the avi files and video-ts files. I stream the media with use of the FTPcloud player and an external harddisk. On some avi files it does but not on the majority, is this a bug of goodplayer or is it something simple i have overseen?
Thanx for your opinion guys

If the ts files are direct US DVB recordings, then, they have AC3 audio, which GP won't play back. Use yaPlayer - see my posts at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1442819/

A lot of avi's contain ac3 too.

EricDeVries

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Confused...

Hi, I’ve read this thread and a few others as well, but I'm still a bit confused. It'd be great if you could advise the best player for iPad taking into account:
-I really only watch avi, mp4, mkv (720p is the highest quality I watch, nothing really above that, most of it below it).
-Some of these files have ac3 audio but at the same time I don't know much about what other 'types' of audio there are (or is ac3 just a specific way of adding audio to a video file?).
-I only watch video files on my iPad, I don't hook it up to a TV or anything like that, so I'm only concerned with iPad playback.
-I'll gladly pay for an proper app, it doesn't have to be free.

I might have left out essential info but I can't think of anything else. Should you need more info, do let me know. Many thanks in advance for your tips/suggestions!

Regards,

Eric

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hi, I’ve read this thread and a few others as well, but I'm still a bit confused. It'd be great if you could advise the best player for iPad taking into account:
-I really only watch avi, mp4, mkv (720p is the highest quality I watch, nothing really above that, most of it below it).
-Some of these files have ac3 audio but at the same time I don't know much about what other 'types' of audio there are (or is ac3 just a specific way of adding audio to a video file?).
-I only watch video files on my iPad, I don't hook it up to a TV or anything like that, so I'm only concerned with iPad playback.
-I'll gladly pay for an proper app, it doesn't have to be free.

I might have left out essential info but I can't think of anything else. Should you need more info, do let me know. Many thanks in advance for your tips/suggestions!

Regards,

Eric

H.264 720p is not decodeable on the iPad unless you have the iPad 4 (a6x CPU). Therefore, if you do want to play back 720p stuff, you either go for a hardware MKV + H.264 player or manually remux your MKV files to MP4 ones with (preferably) Subler.

I'd say go for the "It's Playing" + GoodPlayer combo. The forthcoming, 3.7 version of the former is an absolute beast and is far better than the current 3.5 one. It also (still?) has AC-3 support. (I'm a closed betatester of the app - this is why I have first-hand info on it.) GoodPlayer, on the other hand, plays files not really well played by It's Playing; for example, MPEG-2 TS ones. (Unless they have AC-3 audio, of course.)

vdubbeet

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2012
Confused now that AVPlayer HD is no longer available

So what should I use to be able to watch MKZ movies, TV Shows, etc on iPad 2? Within the next month, I will be upgrading to iPad 3 but until then, I was hoping to be able to use the iPad 2 to view. I was able to get it to flawlessly play on my MBP using VLC (I think it brought it the audio). I read some threads yesterday regarding handbrake so I put 2 episodes of 1 show through handbrake which turned them into mp4 however, when I went to sync the iPad and move the files over, iPad says that format was not supported. Did I do something incorrectly? Too many options available. I don't need subtitles, only audio and video. Look forward to hearing your opinions. Thanks in advance.
Happy Halloween (to those who celebrate).

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
So what should I use to be able to watch MKZ movies, TV Shows, etc on iPad 2? Within the next month, I will be upgrading to iPad 3 but until then, I was hoping to be able to use the iPad 2 to view. I was able to get it to flawlessly play on my MBP using VLC (I think it brought it the audio). I read some threads yesterday regarding handbrake so I put 2 episodes of 1 show through handbrake which turned them into mp4 however, when I went to sync the iPad and move the files over, iPad says that format was not supported. Did I do something incorrectly? Too many options available. I don't need subtitles, only audio and video. Look forward to hearing your opinions. Thanks in advance.
Happy Halloween (to those who celebrate).

You will want to set the H.264 level of those videos to 4.1 at most; then, iTunes will be able to synch it. Use Subler for this. Here's my quick tutorial:

In Subler, click the video track in the upper list if you want to play the video back in the stock Videos app on your iDevice and not in a third-party one. (iTunes refuses synchronizing anything over level 4.1.) If you see anything larger than 4.1 (4.2, 5.1 etc.) in the bottommost “H.264 Video Profile / Level” drop-down list, feel free to set it to 3.1 or 4.1 to enable synchronization:

46a8322f182f0d1075c6b52d149b4b5d-700x585.png

(Make sure you select the video stream and nothing else for the drop-down list (annotated by a red rectangle above) to become visible AND editable! It'll be the uppermost item, as you can also see in the above screenshot.)

Again, this can be done to already-existing M4V files which have too large a level to be successfully synchronized by iTunes to your iDevice. Actually, using Subler to “patch” an existing “over-leveled” m4v file is much-MUCH faster and more reliable than the traditional, old ways explained in my dedicated article.

mti14

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
AVPlayerHD

For those of us who still have AVPlayerHD on our iPads, will they still work like they've been or will they stop working?

vdubbeet

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2012
You will want to set the H.264 level of those videos to 4.1 at most; then, iTunes will be able to synch it. Use Subler for this. Here's my quick tutorial:

In Subler, click the video track in the upper list if you want to play the video back in the stock Videos app on your iDevice and not in a third-party one. (iTunes refuses synchronizing anything over level 4.1.) If you see anything larger than 4.1 (4.2, 5.1 etc.) in the bottommost “H.264 Video Profile / Level” drop-down list, feel free to set it to 3.1 or 4.1 to enable synchronization:

(Make sure you select the video stream and nothing else for the drop-down list (annotated by a red rectangle above) to become visible AND editable! It'll be the uppermost item, as you can also see in the above screenshot.)

Again, this can be done to already-existing M4V files which have too large a level to be successfully synchronized by iTunes to your iDevice. Actually, using Subler to “patch” an existing “over-leveled” m4v file is much-MUCH faster and more reliable than the traditional, old ways explained in my dedicated article.

Thanks again, Menneisyys2. Figured out how to get to the queue however whenever I try to convert, I get the attached error. Any insight you can provide would be awesome. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-01 at 1.52.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-01 at 1.52.08 AM.png
    194.7 KB · Views: 198

simmo0916

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
South Wales
Cool - my wife is Finnish too. She got her degree here in the US though, so English comes pretty well.

She's the only Finnish person I've ever met though that didn't have a noticeable accent, so she's probably an outlier.

My wife is also Finnish - But jumped ship to the US whilst a child... Then went back again at about age 8. No accent at all.. Then again she speaks swedish and not Finnish! So there are more of em out there! Speaking to her you wouldnt make a Finnish connection at all - She just sounds American :D

cooa99

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2011
Buzz Player does not airplay to ATV3

Hi guys,

I have an ATV2 & ATV3 and noticed today that Buzz player does not airplay well with ATV3.

only the sound can be heard on ATV3 but ATV2 airplay works fine....

Anyone with ATV3 issues?

any other player that allows streaming from Nas?

cheers

cooa99

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.