Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Guys, following is a full treatment and tutorial / review of the BTC Mouse & Trackpad. As usual, I try to include all the info and answers to most common questions in my articles - hence the size. After all, they have a lot more to tell you than, say, the sentence "Hey guys, BTC Mouse & Trackpad rocks, check it out" :)

As this tweak is brand new and the forum has no dedicated thread to it, I took the liberty to create a new thread. Feel free to discuss the tweak itself here and not my article. (Of course, you can also provide feedback. Of course, I've already explained why my articles are long so don't post messages like "It's just too long, I don't read it")

BTC Mouse & Trackpad adds (almost) full mouse and trackpad support to iOS

You may remember my dedicated article, where I shown whether the then-current iOS mouse drivers (apps that made external Bluetooth mice work with iDevices) were any good. Back then, not much: with the free, old “BTstack Mouse” app, you could do little, had to work with a separate Bluetooth implementation meaning incompatibility issues and connection initiation problems and the like. Needless to day, remote desktop controllers didn't work properly, either.

The developer of “BTstack Mouse” has just released a commercial tweak, “BTC Mouse & Trackpad” (Cydia homepage), which brings (almost) full mouse support with really few drawbacks. Needless to say: as with all great system-wide tweaks and enhancements, this – a utility that would work on more open and, in many respects, much more advanced operating systems like Symbian or Android just fine, without any kind of “hacking” – also requires jailbreaking. If you don't jailbreak, you can stop reading this article right now as you in no way can use external mice with your device.

The tweak costs $4.98, unless you've an existing customer of one of the developer's other, commercial apps, “BTstack Keyboard”. If you are, you end up having to pay only half of the price. Just make sure you're logged in into Facebook / Google using Manage Account > Connect with Facebook / Sign in with Google in the main Cydia tab. Then, you'll be shown the following app info screen (a screenshot of it being presented to me, an old, legal customer of BTstack Keyboard):

(as with all the other images in the article, click the thumbnail to see a much better-quality version. I must use dumbed-down thumbnails not to mess up page layout / cause too much traffic on the readers' part.)

After installation (and a respring), navigate to the standard Bluetooth (BT) dialog under Settings > General > Bluetooth and tap “Activate Mouse & Trackpad” (annotated with a red rectangle below):

The app connects to the developer's server to check whether the tweak has been pirated; if it isn't, it's activated. Note that I don't know whether the number of activations you can do is limited. I've installed the tweak on three iDevices (iPad 2, 3 and an iPt 4, all running iOS 5.1.1) without reaching the limit, if any.

You can start set your BT mice discoverable; as soon as your iDevice discovers them, just tap their name as you'd do with any regular BT device. In the following screenshot, I've shown what you'll be (quickly) shown after you tap a BT device's name (I've annotated the latter with a red rectangle):

With most mice, you'll hardly have any time to read the content of this dialog – it'll be quickly hidden and replaced by another dialog stating pairing was successful. (Needless to say, you don't need to follow what you're asked to do – you couldn't, mice having no keys, anyway.) Not so with incompatible BT mice (for example, Apple's very first BT mouse, the Apple Wireless Mouse (Wiki)), where the dialog will stay and only later will you be notified of the failure of the pairing process.

After this, you can start working.

What is good?

Compared to the old, free version

- fully compatible with the stock BT stack – no need to use the proprietary one any more, can use any (compatible) BT keyboards, headphones etc. at the same time. Automatic reconnecting the mice also works just great - it's as seamless as, say, reconnecting your BT keyboard.

- remote desktop apps work just great. I've tested LogMeIn Ignition and AlwaysOnPC on my iPad 3 and both worked just great! This is a HUGE advantage, should you depend on remote desktop apps!

- the so-called "presentation mode" is great for swiping left / right and is also brand new! (No such thing existed in the old tweak.) I've tested this with the stock Photos app and worked just great: no need to push the mouse button down and drag it to the left/ right – a simple left/right click suffices to switch to the previous/next photo. Note that it must be enabled manually for apps (under Settings > Extensions > Mouse > Presentation Mode) you need to swap pages. An example showing the stock Photos app manually enabled:

Note that you can use this functionality in any app. An example: if you enable it for, say, It's Playing (or any left/right swipe-capable video app), you don't need to touch the screen to wind the video playback back / forward a bit. It can be highly useful when, say, you watch video on a wired TV set or when running on the treadmill in the gym, watching video on your iPad (which very often happens to me) and don't wanting to touch the screen, to avoid making it sweaty. Then, you could just push the left/right button of a mice in a waterproof case to control playback.

- you can even set the mouse sensitivity under Settings > Extensions > Mouse > Speed.

- I had no problems after changing orientation, during playing some games (“Yesterday”, both the iPhone and the iPad version of “Spectromancer”) on any of my iDevices, regardless of whether they had Retina screen (my iPad 3, iPt4) or not (iPad 2).

What is bad

There is no major problem or bug with the app. The following list is more of nitpicking:

- None of my three iDevices were able to pair with the old Apple Wireless Mouse. (Nevertheless, that model was also pretty much incompatible with the older “BTStack mouse”.)

- As the description of the tweak also states (“Scroll wheel: On SpringBoard, navigates the pages. In other apps, a pinch/zoom gesture is simulated.”), scroll wheels (for example, the touch area on the HP Presenter mice - one of the BT mice I've tested the tweak with) don't scroll Web pages or documents but gradually pinch them to zoom. (And, if it's a (non-mechanical) touch wheel, it'll scroll over SpringBoard app pages very fast!) As Safari (or any other iOS Web browser - the engine is, unfortunately, way less capable than, say, Opera Mobile in this respect) doesn't reflow text at a given zoom level, it's pretty much useless.

- No (non-standard) BT keyboard support is built-in. That is, if you have for example the old (2003) first-generation Apple Wireless Keyboard, you won't be able to use it with the hack either. Nevertheless, the old “BTStack Keyboard” works with the keyboard just fine under 5.1.1. (Of course, HID-compliant, newer keyboards work just fine with the built-in iOS BT stack.)

- As was easy to predict, it's not compatible with the absolutely stunning iPad windowing environment “Quasar” (as wasn't BTStack Mouse either)

Verdict

If your iDevice is jailbroken, have some BT mice around and would like to use them with iOS, this app is without doubt a must - particularly if you need to access / operate remote computer desktops from your iPad / iPhone.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
Thanks for doing such a thorough review of this tweak. I love it, as it gives you a computer-like experience on your iPad:

To me the mouse is so much more comfortable to use than having to type on a keyboard, reach up to use the touchscreen, type something, then reach up to use the touchscreen, etc.

wesley.elder

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
Hey,

great tweak i love it!

However i have a question.

I spend most of my day working on my mac with my bluetooth keyboard and magic mouse attached.

Lets say i get a whatsapp/sms message i would like to reply from my mac, via the keyboard and mouse that are already in my hand.

I have had some success with this.
i turned my mac into a bluetooth keyboard using: Type2phone and i also tried 1Keyboard

Type2Phone a little better.

I then installed bluetoothkeyboardhelper to map cmd+Enter to the send button!, now i can reply to whatsapp messages without touching the phone! Great right!

I'm wondering is there a way to send mouse movements to the iPad, so essentially turning my mac into a magic mouse?

1Keyboard seems to support mouse, tho is suspect BTC Mouse & Trackpad doesn't recognise them

I can then control my iPhone/IPad from my mac as i work, without having to touch my idevice.

BTC Mouse & Trackpad works as advertised, i just don't want to unpair my keyboard and mouse each time to use it. If im travelling then its perfect!

I understand what im describing is a different piece of software from what has been released, i just think this functionality would make this an amazing combo for many people. (or maybe im just really lazy!)

Cheers
Wes

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
has there been any insight into mouse compatibility issues? does it matter which bluetooth mouse we use?

reason why i ask, is because i stumbled upon this bluetooth mouse: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Tablet-Mouse-Android-910-002626/dp/B0058SRNZ4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

it says it's for android but many have said it works on regular computers. if that's the case, i'm thinking it also will work with BTC Mouse & Trackpad app on the iPad. i was thinking of getting it using 10,000 United Miles but i want to make sure it works before i do

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
has there been any insight into mouse compatibility issues? does it matter which bluetooth mouse we use?

reason why i ask, is because i stumbled upon this bluetooth mouse: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Tablet-Mouse-Android-910-002626/dp/B0058SRNZ4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

it says it's for android but many have said it works on regular computers. if that's the case, i'm thinking it also will work with BTC Mouse & Trackpad app on the iPad. i was thinking of getting it using 10,000 United Miles but i want to make sure it works before i do

While I have no compatibility info (if it supports regular BT HID, then, it's compatible with the hack with 99% propability), I'm not sure you really do need that overpriced mouse as opposed to "regular" BT mice like those of Apple, MoGo etc.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
While I have no compatibility info (if it supports regular BT HID, then, it's compatible with the hack with 99% propability), I'm not sure you really do need that overpriced mouse as opposed to "regular" BT mice like those of Apple, MoGo etc.

i bought this Bluetooth Mouse: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UY4XQI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

i got it for $28 though

it is arriving today along with the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard. then i will jailbreak my iPad 3 like i did my iPhone 4S, download BTC Mouse, and give it a shot

i'm really hoping that it works well. it's nice to have a 2nd work station next to my main one at work and at home

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
i bought this Bluetooth Mouse: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UY4XQI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

i got it for $28 though

it is arriving today along with the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard. then i will jailbreak my iPad 3 like i did my iPhone 4S, download BTC Mouse, and give it a shot

i'm really hoping that it works well. it's nice to have a 2nd work station next to my main one at work and at home

Seems to be a nice mouse - please report back on how it works (does it disconnect after a few minutes like Apple's original Wireless Mouse etc.)

BTW, the new, just-released version offers broader compatibility. Will very soon post a formal, broad update of my original article.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
BTW, the new, just-released version offers broader compatibility. Will very soon post a formal, broad update of my original article.

OK, here it is:

A new, major update has just been released with even broader compatibility. The Cydia update screen is as follows:

(as usual, click for a larger version!)

I've tested all the new features. Waking up / unlocking the device works as stated. If the iDevice is sleeping (switched off) and you start moving the mouse (or clicking), the iDevice wakes up and also unlocks the lock screen.

Broader compatibility also works. With the initial version, my Apple Wireless Mouse just wouldn't pair. With the new one, it does. (Nevertheless, it disconnects after 2...7 minutes, even if you actively use it. After that, you can only make it connect again by switching it off and, then, back on.) As with the initial version, I haven't encountered any problems with the MoGo PCMCIA / ExpressCard mice.

There is only one bug I'm aware of: in at least one app (the great chess-like (also-)multiplayer game “Spectromancer”), if you try to open the on-screen keyboard while the mouse connection is active, you'll only see a white area instead of the keyboard as can be seen in the following screenshot:

With mice like the HP Presenter Expresscard mouse, which also work closed (that is, you can't easily disconnect), the only way to get the on-screen keyboard shown was suspending the game and disabling Bluetooth in Settings. (Or via SBSettings / the removed-from-AppStore (story) Bluetooth OnOff if you have it.)

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Seems to be a nice mouse - please report back on how it works (does it disconnect after a few minutes like Apple's original Wireless Mouse etc.)

works out nicely, but yes...the mouse seems to disconnect after just 5 seconds. literally.
hmm, i'm not a fan of this. i might have to return it for this Microsoft one: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Bluetooth-Notebook-Mouse-Business/dp/B005058B56/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350697114&sr=8-1&keywords=microsoft+bluetooth+mouse

i did see there was an update to BTC Mouse but i'm not sure what it offers over the original version since i downloaded the update and this is my first time using it.

so far so good - works like a charm. it would be nice if more buttons could be supported. for example, sideways scrolling with the middle wheel could allow you flip through apps instead of dragging with the left button or scrolling up and down. it would be more intuitive to sideways scroll

i can't wait to give it a test run in Starbucks and see how many girls come up to me, fascinated that i am using a mouse with an iPad hehehe

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
works out nicely, but yes...the mouse seems to disconnect after just 5 seconds. literally.
hmm, i'm not a fan of this. i might have to return it for this Microsoft one: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Bluetooth-Notebook-Mouse-Business/dp/B005058B56/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350697114&sr=8-1&keywords=microsoft+bluetooth+mouse

Let us know how it works (disconnections etc.) - and whether the MS mouse is indeed as badly built as some of the reviewers state.

i did see there was an update to BTC Mouse but i'm not sure what it offers over the original version since i downloaded the update and this is my first time using it.

Better compatibility (see my remarks in the article update on the Apple Wireless Mouse's now-received ability to pair) etc.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Let us know how it works (disconnections etc.) - and whether the MS mouse is indeed as badly built as some of the reviewers state.

Better compatibility (see my remarks in the article update on the Apple Wireless Mouse's now-received ability to pair) etc.

i decided i am going keep the Logitech mouse because it actually doesn't disconnect the bluetooth pairing after 10 seconds, rather it just makes the mouse cursor disappear. if i let it sit for 10 seconds, the cursor disappears, then i move the mouse and there is about 1/2 sec lag for the cursor to show up again and then it's working normally.

i'm guessing this is some sort of battery saving feature for the mouse, where after inactivity it only pings each other every 2 seconds or something.

anyways, after reading the reviews of the Microsoft mouse and realizing that my Logitech mouse doesn't ever disconnect...i am going to keep it. it's a stellar mouse and i've found i can use it on nearly every surface including my bed. heck i can even use it on my leg.

it would be great of the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard had a slide out trackpad on the right side of the keyboard though

i wish there was a way to set the scroll wheel in Google Chrome to scroll through web pages and not be the zoom in/out function

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
testing testing 123. i am using the logitech ultra-thin keyboard right now.
everything seems to be working OK but i will admit, if i am not using the keyboard for a little bit it seems to disconnect from the iPad but then immediately reconnects when i tap on a key (takes about 2 seconds to reconnect). annoying though...

i will call up logitech tomorrow and ask about that

jateelover

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
FYI, I bought this last night on the blind hope that I could use my Logitech Mediaboard Pro with it... old keyboard-trackpad combo I used to use with my PS3.

Works very well! Very surprised that this can recognize a keyboard/trackpad combo. Right mouse button was automatically mapped to the home key (double clicking brings up multitasking, etc). The only thing I did not like was that the scroll area on the trackpad scrolls sideways, so not really useful for webpages and the like. Its somewhat annoying to have to click and drag up pages to scroll...

Other than that though, it works perfectly. Automatically connects and the mouse point pulls up. I don't buy a lot of cydia tweaks, but this one is just awesome. If you don't mind the size of the mediaboard pro, its a great all in one keyboard that you can use on your lap or desk. I might look for something a little smaller for travel...Any ideas? What we really need now is a keyboard folio or case with a touchpad included. THAT would be awesome.

Last edited:

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
does this app allow your mouse to highlight text or select text to copy and paste like a real mouse?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
does this app allow your mouse to highlight text or select text to copy and paste like a real mouse?

Nope. It's "just" a touch simulator. That is, if you long-click a word, it'll be highlighted and the two handles will appear at the beginning / end of the word. These handles can, then, be dragged by the mouse in exactly the same way as you'd do with your finger. When released, the usual pop-up menu is displayed with the usual options (Copy etc.)

Genuine text selection only works with remote desktop controllers in their non-touch emulation mode. For example, with AlwaysOnPC, you must switch to "Mouse mode" from the default "Touch screen mode" by clicking the fifth icon. It's only then that you'll be able to highlight text in the usual way, by just dragging the cursor. Unfortunately, this mode cannot be used regularly as the remote mouse cursor will be different from that of the local one, unlike in the default "Touch screen mode". The latter is far easier to operate; it's just that it doesn't support mouse dragging for text selection.

jateelover

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
I've experienced the same...what remote desktop client seems to work the best? I had splashtop, but I don't like the pay for remote access. I tried jump, logmein, and teamviewer, but they all give me the default resolution of my widescreen monitor, and won't let me change it...most wouldn't give me a normal mouse either...

Alwaysonpc seems expensive...I found that Onlive (the kinda virtual desktop thing) works just like a computer.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
I've experienced the same...what remote desktop client seems to work the best? I had splashtop, but I don't like the pay for remote access. I tried jump, logmein, and teamviewer, but they all give me the default resolution of my widescreen monitor, and won't let me change it...most wouldn't give me a normal mouse either...

Alwaysonpc seems expensive...I found that Onlive (the kinda virtual desktop thing) works just like a computer.

To access my MBP remotely, I only use Logmein Ignite (the free version). For a 24/7 service for quick Flash running / LibreOffice / Mozilla access, I've purchased Alwaysonpc two years ago. Fortunately, they've provided a reliable service thorough this time.

a042349

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
Working Scroll Wheel Possible?

Hey Menneisyys2 don't I remember you from the old smartphone days? Maybe Palm or Windows Phone?

I've owned these "BT" apps of yours for a year or two now and love that you finally integrated it into the native iOS bluetooth stack - nice work.

I'm using an older Logitech BT mouse and an even older iGo folding keyboard. Both work great, re-connect automatically, etc.

My one HUGE wish is that someday we'll get web page/document scrolling with our mouse wheels. That's a big part of being able to live with a mouse/trackpad comfortably for me. Any possibility it might be possible or is it something that's never going to happen on iOS?

Anyway, keep up the great work!

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Hey Menneisyys2 don't I remember you from the old smartphone days? Maybe Palm or Windows Phone?

You do ;-)

Any possibility it might be possible or is it something that's never going to happen on iOS?

From Apple: surely not, at least not in the next 2-3 years. On JB'n devices: highly unlikely.

Anyway, keep up the great work!

joekim1026

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
anyone have any success using this with the apple magic trackpad? i paired my trackpad to it and it basically didn't do much. i was pretty disappointed.

brandodnarb

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2013
anyone have any success using this with the apple magic trackpad? i paired my trackpad to it and it basically didn't do much. i was pretty disappointed.

I quote.
Hi everyone !!
I bought BTC Mouse & Trackpad 1.4.2-3 but I can't pair my Apple Magic Trackpad in iPhone 5 iOS 6.1.2 and I can't understand why ?!?

Could someone help me please :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.