Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 9, 2006
I had something strange happen to me today. Got my new Verizon iPhone yesterday, set it up, played with it a ton, and all was fine. Messed around with it some more today, no issues. I took my daughter to her soccer game and after the game I look at the lock screen and the date was August 31 and the time was 4am. I powered the phone off and on and the time and date were still wrong. Checked the settings and it is set to automatically set the time. Toggle that off and on and the time corrected itself and for the past 4 or 5 hours since then, it's been fine. Anyone else see anything like that?

PsyOpWarlord

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
The tower your connected to has the wrong date/time. Its not uncommon. Normally if off it's only by an hour (bad daylight saving time setting).

Just call your carrier and report it.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 9, 2006
Well, to update it's now happened to me 4 times.

I did a factory reset after the 2nd time and a few days later it was back.

I called Verizon tech support and they told me that they had never heard of this, had me try the Reset Network Settings and said if it happened again after that to call back for a replacement phone.

Sure enough, tonight after work I look at my phone and its 4am on 8/23 again. Call Verizon support again and this time they say they have a lot of reports of the same issue. Apple says it's a Verizon issue and Verizon says it's an Apple issue. First he tried to tell me I had to wait for Apple to release a patch to fix it. When I expressed my unhappiness about it and pointed out that most people did not experience this and that I would not likely have it on a replacement phone, he backed off and said I could get on the waiting list for a replacement phone or try and take it to an Apple store to see if they will replace it. I am choosing the latter and will get on the waiting list if Apple won't swap it out.

Any else experience this but me?

----------

The tower your connected to has the wrong date/time. Its not uncommon. Normally if off it's only by an hour (bad daylight saving time setting).

Just call your carrier and report it.

It wasn't off by a month, it was off by over 5 weeks!

kylasdf

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2012
This has happened to me as well! It started last night and I tried turning the automatic date & time settings on and off, then when that didn't work I tried turning it off and back on and that didn't work either so I reset it to factory settings (keeping all my data) and that fixed it! But then just now it happened again so I don't know what to do now.

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I seen it about 3 times and I'm on Verizon, seems to fix its self within an hour or so

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Get it replaced

That's not going to fix the problem. The users having this problem are on Verizon. If it was a phone issues, at the very least Sprint users would be having the same problem, as they use the same model of iPhone.

To quote Verizon, It's the Network[tm].

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I would destroy the phone and not think twice about it..

If the time is off, what else is going to go wrong? :rolleyes:

Just kidding, call Verizon and let them know about your issue!

Tictac snugs

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
Is this a carrier issue or an iPhone 5 issue? This has been happening since activating my phone with new service through Verizon in Hawaii. This is happening at least 10 times a day. Haven't noticed exact change when switching from wifi, 3G. 4g and LTE. It's extremely frustrating because it makes for very unreliable alarms, time and days are completely off and while I can get it to switch back, it's happening all throughout the day.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Is this a carrier issue or an iPhone 5 issue? This has been happening since activating my phone with new service through Verizon in Hawaii. This is happening at least 10 times a day. Haven't noticed exact change when switching from wifi, 3G. 4g and LTE. It's extremely frustrating because it makes for very unreliable alarms, time and days are completely off and while I can get it to switch back, it's happening all throughout the day.

I would report this. The more its reported the more hope we have in getting it fixed in the next iOS release...

Apple Bug Issues..... Feedback link below........

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Other thread as well....
Wrong Time on Verizon iphones

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1456515/

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around
Me too. I'm on verizon and yesterday around 3pm my alarm went off ( alarm is set for weekdays only) for 7:30 am! My phone has displayed the incorrect time at least 3 times so far. I just restart the phone and that usually fixes it.

I'm worried that it might happen one morning and my alarm not go off and make me late for work!

Damn Dirty Ape

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
Illinois
just saw it for the first time last night, about 3 hours behind and read 9/6 last night and 9/7 today. Restarting fixed it last night.

Guess alarms and appointment notifications are no good for the time being.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
Just disable LTE when not in use when you're in an area with weak LTE coverage.

this is not a fix.

a smart phone should be able to display the proper date & time no matter what friggin mode its in. especially one that costs as much as it does.

either that or tell the carrier to get their you know what straight.

PsyOpWarlord

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Settings > General > Date & Time ...
Set Automatically | OFF

If you set that to OFF it will not pull time automatically (set/autocorrect) allowing you to manually set the time.

If that solves the problem then it's most likely not the phone itself and the network/tower that it's getting it's time from.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
So far have not experienced this issue. Got phone October 1, and date and time has always been correct on Verizon. If it was an ios 6 issue, it would affect all iphone models on ios 6. If it was an incorrect date and time on verizon towers, it would affect all iphones using that tower. So in other words, I have no clue. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.