Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
Stupid Kid

----------

Are you a computer science grad? I'm a very talented Java and iOS developer and have been interested in looking into employment there. I'm not an Ivy Leaguer though; I'm not sure how much emphasis is placed on that.

They're hiring a lot but you'd be surprised at how many people are applying. There were easily 300 students at any given time waiting in line to speak to a recruiter. I'm pretty sure I only received an offer because a friend works for apple already. They only travel to about 10 colleges. You can still check out their employment site and pray.

----------

And did you also forget to set up email accounts on this 15" Macbook Pro Hi-Res, 2.3 GHz i7 QC, 16GB RAM in your sig?

Cool story, bro.

Lol don't be jelly.:rolleyes: As I said I'm pretty sure I only got the offer because because my friend tried pushing my résumé to the hiring managers.

BiteMyApple

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
Forest Hills, NY
So Nichilas says he forgot to read an email.

Apple Makes millions of iPhones but was to lazy to pick up a phone and call him.

If I want someone in my company to work for me and I don't hear from him thru email i call him.

Or this story is BS or Apple thinks way to highly of themselves ans Nichilas is just another number to Apple.

The guy ain't Steve Forstall. Who's got more to win here, Apple or the intern? You think MNC's give special treatment to people who can't even answer an email? Hello!

AppleDude

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2006
Email is How Business Gets Done

No one, a phone call, with a printed letter via FedEx... get it in writing doesn't mean email.

If a company is wasting time and money, FeExing offer letters, someone should introduce its H/R director to the computer. For the last 15 years, covering three industries (and all large organizations), I have received my offer letter via email.

One company sent it via email and FedEx and I found it quite wasteful. I would have preferred the company invest that time and resource in its workforce or in finding ways to please its customers. Or, give me the $20 saved to print it out myself.

padrino121

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2004
I'm not in any field that Apple deals with, and I have great respect for anyone talented enough in their field to get hired there. My point was that if I was offered a job at one of the best places to work in the world, I would have been on making sure I'm replying to my email.

Maybe I'm wrong about him being arrogant on second thought. I guess I was trying to say that you can be the smartest and most talented person in the world, but you can't be unmindful, otherwise you'll get the boot. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that you should reply to an email offering you a long term job.

Thanks for clarifying, that is a fair reply..

I've been in his shoes myself, albeit without the public notability but like many it's not a conscious arrogance, rather the realization that the teacher/parent relationship is over and as you point out, the ball is in his hands.

With that said his reply showed that he accepted the responsibility for what happened and although said a little tongue in cheek it read like someone that took it in stride with good response given the circumstances.

damitssam

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
I don't know how it is where you live but here, it became a standard a few years ago. At least in the tech industry.

Dunno about you, they've always called me on the phone and said congratulations blah blah followed by an email with the offer letter.

thefizzle657

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2011
Maybe next time Harry Potter will remember to cast a spell that reminds him to respond to important emails.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
It was an intern position. I highly doubt he was getting paid much. He could do better on the "outside" hacking the os as he did before. Apple will make a better offer.

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
What, are you working in the past or something? I don't think anyone's said that in 7-8 years.

Way to keep it relevant.
The slap-fighting, mocking of someone's facial features, and critique of writing styles are always so fascinating.

BOT, like others, I'm not sure how one could ignore providing an immediate response to any company of Apple's calibre looking to continue an internship. Trying to game a company at this level, or to hope they'll up the offer if you take the passive aggressive approach would certainly be a naive move.

For those of you bemoaning the career choice of a single year of internship dooming one to a lifetime of internship? Just hope that you have the opportunity to make that choice. Internships are a great way to 'pay your dues' and get a better chance at permanent hiring. However, commenting that you 'could've been an intern for a longer period, but forgot to respond to the request for an extension' is just as likely to have your resume or application put in the regretfully rejected pile.

Maybe it was a poor choice of words by Allegra, and we certainly aren't aware of all of the details, but at the very least it seems like this might've ended better for Allegra if the story was that he had responded to Apple and had consciously decided to end/continue his internship.

antwormcity

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2008
guy looks like a dbag

Those two guys look quite similar to me.
http://www.energystorageblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/jobs-apple-1.jpg

haha... j/k

The smart asses, (read big nerds). A few are lacking in social skills.

In a documentary on venture capitalism, an investor talks about how these two bright guys looked like they had not showered and washed their clothes for days. He was talking about the two guys in the picture from 1976 above.

And Sir Steve Jobs used to be in a boardroom meeting and keep his feet on the conference table in his very very early days.

Don't look at someone and call them a dbag. ;)

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
And Sir Steve Jobs used to be in a boardroom meeting and keep his feet on the conference table in his very very early days.

Don't look at someone and call them a dbag. ;)

Now comex is the next Steve Jobs. :facepalm:

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Now comex is the next Steve Jobs. :facepalm:

He didn't say that thee guy was the "next Steve Jobs". He said that they share one characteristic, that they lacked social skills.

Here's another shared characteristic: they both have/had crappy looking beards.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
So Apple basically offered him next a garbage job and he didn't want it.

I fail to see all the venom for any party. Apple didn't want him too much, and he didn't care for his old job.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando

I fail to see all the venom for any party. Apple didn't want him too much, and he didn't care for his old job.

Where are you getting that Apple didn't offer him a good job? They offered him a job, he didn't accept it in time. That's all we've been told.

jW

jtp098

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Purchase
It was an intern position. I highly doubt he was getting paid much. He could do better on the "outside" hacking the os as he did before. Apple will make a better offer.

Actually Apple is one of the companies that pays interns the most, base salary is around 4,500 a month. Google is about the same.

:D

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011

Exactly how do you know the job Apple offered him was 'a garbage job'?

Answer: You don't. You have zero knowledge of what the job was.

----------

He didn't say that thee guy was the "next Steve Jobs". He said that they share one characteristic, that they lacked social skills.

Here's another shared characteristic: they both have/had crappy looking beards.
Good to see that antwormcity has a spokesperson.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Seems odd they would offer and then withdraw the offer if he failed to respond. Any company I ever worked for worked really hard to keep people who did a good job

Any company that makes an offer will put a deadline on taking it. They can't keep offers open forever or the jobs would never be filled. Allegra learned an important lesson about working with a corporation with this oops. Better he learn it now when it was just an internship than later when it could be a 'real job'

----------

So Nichilas says he forgot to read an email.

Apple Makes millions of iPhones but was to lazy to pick up a phone and call him.

We don't know the full story. Maybe they did and he just didn't mention that part. The email could have been a follow up to a phone conversation asking if he'd be game to work remotely if they can get it approved. He said sure, they said they would email him if they could get it on board. They did. He didn't reply per the instructions.

Being able to follow instruction is a very important part of many, if not all, jobs. So much so that some companies won't even interview you if you didn't follow instructions. My boss certainly feels that way. Probably because not following instructions can cost thousands an hour on a set or even get someone hurt or killed (if we are doing a practical FX/Stunt shoot). If he posts a job listing and specifically says to email your resume and someone mails it, faxes, drops it off, he puts that person on his **** list. They will never be hired by him. And he's not the only one in our game with such feelings.

----------

Apple are turds! they could've had the greatest security with one of the best working for them

Note that no one has actually created a jailbreak for iOS 6. At least not for the new iPhones. And now they likely have a better understanding of the places jailbreakers look to find exploits.

So it seems they have pretty dang good security on this iOS and might not have much to worry about in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.