Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aimee.elizabeth

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
There's a crack about half an inch in size on the lower left corner of my iPhone 5. I didn't drop it because the bezel and the chamfered edge around there are absolutely perfect, not even a scratch or nick. And there's no way that i could have dropped it without damaging the bezel or the chamfered edge or the side/corner of the phone. I called apple care and they said it's not in the warranty because it's considered accidental damage. But if it was not my fault that it cracked, why do I have to pay like 200 dollars to get it fixed?? I have a Genius Bar appointment but not sure what they will say.

Anyone have any suggestions or past experiences with this sort of thing? Do you think I can get a replacement or screen replacement?

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Are you 100% sure nobody else had an accident with it ?

Ive never heard of an iphone screen cracking by itself !

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
are you sure you didn't drop the phone at all or apply a lot of pressure on the screen or drop something on the screen? The reasoning you're giving is implying that you did something but believe because the bezel is perfect that you didn't drop it. Which actually means nothing the screen can still shatter and the phone will be in perfect condition(except for the screen)

aimee.elizabeth

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
are you sure you didn't drop the phone at all or apply a lot of pressure on the screen or drop something on the screen? The reasoning you're giving is implying that you did something but believe because the bezel is perfect that you didn't drop it. Which actually means nothing the screen can still shatter and the phone will be in perfect condition(except for the screen)

Well I'm sure I didn't drop it. I try to handle it with a lot of care. The bezel is perfectly fine except for a tiny nick at the top left corner like many other people have with this scuffgate and all. The phone is functioning perfectly and where the crack is it's just split into little pieces. I don't know what could've have caused it to crack except for dropping it, and I have not dropped it, and I just thought that the fact there are no nicks or scratches at all or any other signs of impact around this crack supports that it hasn't been dropped. There is no reason to insinuate that I'm lying or hiding something.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Post a pic and we'll be able to see if there's a point of impact. Phone's don't just crack of their own accord.

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
I have actually heard of this before, a crack developing without any significant external force. I believe it can be a microscopic flaw in the screen that creates a weak spot that leads to a crack. I've also heard of car windshields developing similar cracks without anything hitting or damaging them.

natwister2003

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
Someone once posted here that their iPhone 4S cracked while it was just sitting on their bed. The OP was on their laptop and they heard their phone pop, and the screen had cracked, and it was only 1 line, and not like a spider web crack. They were able to get a replacement because there wasn't a point of impact, and it was a fine crack.

Ultimately, it's not entirely impossible.

hondaivtec2007

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2011
Pa
I just got a replacment from apple and it not 200 it's 229.00 plus tax. I dropped mine and the screen cracked and that was the only damage. I had a bumper on it so there was no marks/scratches on the phone just the cracked screen. They will not replace it for free unless ur super luckily and give them a sob story and they buy it. I can guarantee you they will to buy ur story that it just cracked by itself that's kinda hard to believe.

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Well I'm sure I didn't drop it. I try to handle it with a lot of care. The bezel is perfectly fine except for a tiny nick at the top left corner like many other people have with this scuffgate and all. The phone is functioning perfectly and where the crack is it's just split into little pieces. I don't know what could've have caused it to crack except for dropping it, and I have not dropped it, and I just thought that the fact there are no nicks or scratches at all or any other signs of impact around this crack supports that it hasn't been dropped. There is no reason to insinuate that I'm lying or hiding something.

Do you have case on it? If yes you might have drop it with the case and crack the screen from the force but the Case protect the band from
Scratches? Just a thought . May be you sit on it

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
OF COURSE there's a reason for you to lie... $229, or $49 with AC+. Look, I'm not calling you a liar, but even if it happened the way you said, 99.99% of the world will doubt it.

Tell the Apple store, cross your fingers, and don't get upset if they won't buy it either because chances are you wouldn't if you were the one being told the story.

No reason to lie means there would be nothing for you to lose if you were. There is.

Because of that, it's dubious. Hopefully you understand that...

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
Even if it did crack on its own I think it will be very difficult for you to prove this to the techs at the store.

As far as damaging the screen without scratching the bezel/case there are infinite possibilities. Fom the aforementioned "sitting on it" and other blunt force such as stepping on it with the phone flat on the floor. Or slamming it down face down onto a flat surface/table. In other words edge impact is not the only thing that can cause the screen to crack.

Good luck getting a free replacement...

aimee.elizabeth

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
OF COURSE there's a reason for you to lie... $229, or $49 with AC+. Look, I'm not calling you a liar, but even if it happened the way you said, 99.99% of the world will doubt it.

Tell the Apple store, cross your fingers, and don't get upset if they won't buy it either because chances are you wouldn't if you were the one being told the story.

No reason to lie means there would be nothing for you to lose if you were. There is.

Because of that, it's dubious. Hopefully you understand that...

Nope, i don't believe they will replace it.

Even if it did crack on its own I think it will be very difficult for you to prove this to the techs at the store.

As far as damaging the screen without scratching the bezel/case there are infinite possibilities. Fom the aforementioned "sitting on it" and other blunt force such as stepping on it with the phone flat on the floor. Or slamming it down face down onto a flat surface/table. In other words edge impact is not the only thing that can cause the screen to crack.

Good luck getting a free replacement...

Thank you all so much for your confidence, but I went back to the apple store and the guy didn't even hesitate in replacing my phone after he saw the crack :) he called it a fine line fracture or something of the sort. Good to know that you guys here on the forums are so willing to believe in the worst of people. Maybe you had bad luck when dealing with Apple but I've had great luck and they seem to really care :) so I'm happy now that I have a new phone, and you guys can take your negativity to another person's thread who is merely trying to seek advice.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Thank you all so much for your confidence, but I went back to the apple store and the guy didn't even hesitate in replacing my phone after he saw the crack :) he called it a fine line fracture or something of the sort. Good to know that you guys here on the forums are so willing to believe in the worst of people. Maybe you had bad luck when dealing with Apple but I've had great luck and they seem to really care :) so I'm happy now that I have a new phone, and you guys can take your negativity to another person's thread who is merely trying to seek advice.

Congrats.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011

Bravo. You found a genius willing to gift you a free phone. Certainly you wouldn't have faulted him if they chose not to believe your story, because obviously (and you can call reality negativity all you want) not many people here believe you had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Apple is the nicest company out there with regards to tech returns.

Sometimes they'll replace a phone that people ADMIT to dropping just because they are in that mood. Sometimes they insist on the $229.

Just because they replaced your phone doesn't mean anyone that had questions about how it really happened were wrong or weren't contributing to your thread, we just weren't telling you what you wanted to hear.

You got lucky. Next time you drop it, sit on it, hit it with something... whatever REALLY happened you might not be.

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Screens do not crack on their own. That's all I'm going to say.

True, however one may be more susceptible to cracks if it had a fracture in the manufacturing process. Its not possible to tell, but this is why some phones can withstand drops better then others. I agree, though that it can't just break on its own. There must have been some damage to it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.