Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will there be a new iPod Classic?

• Yes, there will be a new one before summer

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • No, not counting on anything happening

Votes: 134 91.2%

• Total voters

crghwkns

macrumors member
May 31, 2011
It really doesn't feel all that long ago that the Classic was the most iconic device on the planet.

It's not quite old enough yet to have retro cool, but it will be one day.

7thMac

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2010
I'm a big fan, but I'm not optimistic about a replacement. It seems like a quaint product now since it has no connectivity to anything. That is also its strength - no iCloud needed. But I've never been a fan of the mirror finish back - sorry Apple, but that was not a good way to design a portable product.

digitaltara

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
The main reason I'd like to see a new one is that I like to have my entire music library (including a bunch of audio books) on one device (besides my computer.) I don't have the time nor the inclination to swap out music every time I want to listen to an album that may or may not be on my iPhone, nano, etc.

Ideally, an update with an SSD would come out some time this year. I'm not overly hopeful, but that's my wish :)

j.bourji

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
I personally love the Classic, as I have the 7 Gen 160GB. Before asking yourself if they would come out with a new version, you have to ask yourself, "Why? What could they improve upon?"

1) The classic is as elegant as it could possibly be. It doesn't have too much, it doesn't have too little. It's functionality is perfect for what you would want the classic to do. Otherwise, you would begin to encroach upon the touch.

2) If space is your issue, re-evaluation on your behalf might be necessary. Apple's thought process is that 'Less is More'. They want to instill this onto their customers and build upon the culture it has established. Apple would not want to give you more memory because it is not necessary. I bet you only listen to a mere fraction of that 120GB.

Simplify, Reduce, Enjoy.

Though I COMPLETELY agree with you that the iPod Classic is as elegant and beautiful when it comes to everything, design and software, there's just ONE thing I'd love to see on an iPod Classic and that is Bluetooth or Airplay support. I'm considering buying The Big Jambox for example by Jawbone, and not having Bluetooth connection to play over the air really is a hassle. That's one big downside to the current iPod Classic, and it's the main reason why I've been holding up. But of course, all in all, I'll choose the iPod Classic over the iPod Touch or any other new recent iPod for that matter :)

Twizz91

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2010
iPod Classic outphased

I think they'll phase out the iPod in the october event. This would, after the 'new iPad' is updated with the new connector, be the only device with the old connector. And since I don't think they'll update it, they'll probably have to stop selling them. Unfortunately :(

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I think they'll phase out the iPod in the october event. This would, after the 'new iPad' is updated with the new connector, be the only device with the old connector. And since I don't think they'll update it, they'll probably have to stop selling them. Unfortunately :(

I think you're right.

Additionally, I believe they will need to eliminate the iPod Classic in the top row of the Apple Store product lineup in order to place in the new iPad mini.

nw1bt.png

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Well, looks like I was wrong. They kept the classic and instead solved the problem of fitting the iPad mini on the products page that I mentioned by completely redesigning their display of products that they've had for YEARS! Completely did not expect that.

robertlvrd

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
I would love a bigger ipod. As mentioned before I want to have all my music(albums, and in lossless quality) available on 1 device.I am collecting music for years, but travelling now, so a cloud is no option.I tried the Argos 48(500 gb), but that broke down after 2 month.
What I need is a Ipod classic of minimum 1 terrabite, that would be simple to make nowadays.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Last "Real" iPod Standing With ClickWheel

The only iPod left standing with a Click-wheel. The shuffle has a "dumbed down" click-wheel and has no display. I am talking about my main music player. And for me the click-wheel was simply brilliant..simple and elegant. I have an iPhone which I do like, but for my main music player, I just prefer the look and functionality of the Click-Wheel iPods.

So glad to see it is still available. I have waited since the iPod Nano 5G for a Nano with 32GB and a click-wheel. I was very disappointed when they scrapped the beautiful 5G for the 6G, which was a huge step backwards. And the 7G is just "Touch lite". No thanx.

I am giving up on a 32GB Nano with a click-wheel and will be getting the classic to replace my 8GB fattie. I'll be able to keep a LOT of stuff on it and it will serve as my "backup library" for all my music, photos, and some movies. And with USB3 and the old/new connector adapter, it will hopefully remain useful to me for years to come.

I have had the fattie for 5 years. It has served me well...it will become my "shuffle".

Last edited:

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Really hope there's an upgrade impending, though I'm not actually getting any hopes up for that matter. But if they do, I hope they retain the click wheel, it's kinda traditional and cool too! :)

racoop

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
Really hope there's an upgrade impending, though I'm not actually getting any hopes up for that matter. But if they do, I hope they retain the click wheel, it's kinda traditional and cool too! :)

I agree. I love my Classic. It makes no sense to me why people speculate about their demise.

I bought a 7g Nano a couple of weeks ago at the Apple Store. The sales guy said they sell lots (I don't know what that means in actual numbers) of Classics - apparently many people like to use them attached to a speaker base for the house stereo. Oh, just like I do :D

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
They could have at least lowered the price. I seriously doubt it costs them much more than $100 to make. $199 would be much better.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
They could have at least lowered the price. I seriously doubt it costs them much more than $100 to make. $199 would be much better.

I agree. But Apple has always been very unwilling to lower prices for ANY of its products, so I'm not sure what they're going to do either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.