Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
Well im sure you can check this sites archives to find the original story on the patent and obviously there hasn't been a product with it implemented (made by apple), and also obviously the list of patents apple has licensed is not public. However just seeing the macrumors take on makes it clear that the touch cover uses this technology.

I can't find anything to show it wasn't licensed. This is something you are 100% sure of.

Seeing as Microsoft have licensed other Apple patents I can't see how you are 100% positive they have infringed any patent.

Can you show how you have reached this degree of certainty?

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
I can't find anything to show it wasn't licensed. This is something you are 100% sure of.

Seeing as Microsoft have licensed other Apple patents I can't see how you are 100% positive they have infringed any patent.

Can you show how you have reached this degree of certainty?

There is no precedent to license a patent that is not being used by a competitor because there is virtually no chance of retaliation due to the fact that there is no intellectual property nor a device to base a lawsuit off of.

alexN350z

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2011
So your willing to pay more for a giant phone? Imo.

WIndows 8 blows away iOS

How? Can you put more detail?

I am going to upgrade to windows 8 and buy lumia 920, also doing some windows 8 app dev. But I am still not sure the money and effort worth it.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
So your willing to pay more for a giant phone? Imo.

WIndows 8 blows away iOS

How? Can you put more detail?

I am going to upgrade to windows 8 and buy lumia 920, also doing some windows 8 app dev. But I am still not sure the money and effort worth it.

Well iOS is a phone OS, its very limited in what it can do, hell it cant even multi task, which is the biggest killer for me, and you cant even change your default App for creation actions.

While windows 8 is a full blown Desktop OS that also works on phones and tablets. Desktop mode is always a click away.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Well iOS is a phone OS, its very limited in what it can do, hell it cant even multi task, which is the biggest killer for me

I'm not sure what youre talking about, but this statement is wrong so the rest isn't likely to be credible.

----------

What is it with people saying that? It includes a keyboard, and suddenly it's "not a tablet". You don't have to use the keyboard in all situations. You can take the keyboard off and use the onscreen one if you want. Just like an iPad.

If the iPad came with the bluetooth keyboard, would you also consider it "not a tablet"?

It's weird. Everyone here has the internet at their disposal, and is probably pretty comfortable using it. It's amazing that, despite that, there are so many ill informed people running around.

That's ignorant. Because MS failed at tablets before, they're likely to fail again. Like Apple having a second go at Ping.

...wait. Didn't Apple completely fail with the Newton? So why'd they try again with the iPad? What idiots, right?

Microsoft clearly doesn't get what a tablet is about.
If you ask about their new touch screen tablet, and all they can do is make a big deal about their keyboard and trackpad... Its a clue.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I'm not sure what youre talking about, but this statement is wrong so the rest isn't likely to be credible.

Can I run more than one program at the same time on iOS? Like have 2 programs up on the screen on the same time on an iPad? Nope.

Windows 8 can do that. Its a real OS vs a phone OS

Microsoft clearly doesn't get what a tablet is about.
If you ask about their new touch screen tablet, and all they can do is make a big deal about their keyboard and trackpad... Its a clue.

Enterprise is what Microsofts bread and butter is, and those people care about things like Keyboards, and Office, and full system intergration. Which the Surface has, and the iPad does not.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Can I run more than one program at the same time on iOS? Like have 2 programs up on the screen on the same time on an iPad? Nope.

Windows 8 can do that. Its a real OS vs a phone OS

Enterprise is what Microsofts bread and butter is, and those people care about things like Keyboards, and Office, and full system intergration. Which the Surface has, and the iPad does not.

Need to fix those tags. ..Lookin messy..

+1 Thats one advantage of MS Surface.... I constanstly have to think when i'm trying to type my application-specifuc password on my ipad, and constantly switch bwteern Safari and Mail. Only to find Apple clears whats been typed when you click in the field... Grrrrrr.

Hence, you NEED a computer/seperate screen for this, (... Or a better memory) :/

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
iPod commercial - playing music and dancing, what you do when you listen to music. Thus representing what the product does, play music.

Surface commercial - following the idea that the commercial shows what the product does... the surface, well, it clicks. Oh and maybe that you can toss, or even kick it.

----------

They have been around a long time, you can get them for the iPad. Generally, they suck.

I agree with you on the point that the Surface ads wants to mimic Apple's energetic iPod ads but end up with a wrong tone. Apple is careful and deliberate with their visual campaign, the running & jumping are reserved for their iPod line-up. If you see the iPad commercial, they are mostly sedate and sober, with lotsa cute kids smiling at the camera, and narrated with a fine-wine voice by actor Peter Coyote. A sophisticated family-friendly device is the message here.

Surface seems to ignore the traditional Microsoft users, and go for the members of the church of Apple. It's a wrong move.

But I have to disagree with the keyboard cum cover: it is more functional than Apple Smart Cover.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I was wondering how much space RT takes up, found the answer on a Microsoft site......

Q: How much disk space does Windows RT use?
Approximately 12 GBs of disk space, this is inclusive of Office 2013 RT.

No wonder they didn't ship a 16gb version then. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.