Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghateley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
Hey,

I just purchased a new 12in. Powerbook. It's amazing. I'd like to incorporate it into work life and use it as a secondary machine on my desk. The trouble is, there's only one network cable in my office. It runs out of the wall, into my desktop (a PC). I've tried unplugging my PC and hooking it to the mac and it works fine.

Ideally, I'd like to have a set-up that allows me to use both with the internet at the same time. Could I use network switch or hub to accomplish this? Would this use 2 IP addresses or 1?

If you guys have any ideas, let me know.

Thanks,

Geoff

ghateley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
I'd like to be as discreet as possible. Would a router be detectable to my IT department? It's monitored corporately (in a different city), so I don't imagine they pay too much attention.

EvilDoc

macrumors 6502a
i really wouldnt go around hook things up to your network at work with out the permission of your IT department. they generally dont like that.. and depending on where you work it could be considered a security risk for you to do so..

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
It's very hard to tell if there is a router on a network. It's not impossible though. I doubt many companies monitor this. But remember, it is their network and bandwidth. They may do with it what they see fit. They may not allow user installed routers on their premises. An extremely harsh company could put your job in jeopardy over something like this. I know a company that doesn't even let you bring a personal computer into work with you. Personally, I'd ask the company if I was allowed.

ghateley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
ya, I work for the provincial government in Canada. I know it probably wouldn't be allowed...but I think I'm going to try anways.

Would there be a way to hook up my Powerbook to my PC to share the internet or vice versa? Could I do this via USB. Unfortunately, he PC doesn't have wireless.

Thanks.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
ghateley said:
Would there be a way to hook up my Powerbook to my PC to share the internet or vice versa?
Only if the PC has two network cards. Still probably not allowed though.

ya, I work for the provincial government in Canada. I know it probably wouldn't be allowed...but I think I'm going to try anways.
Hope you resume is up-to-date. You may be looking for another job. :p

ghateley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
Ok, ok. Consider this thread closed. You've scared me straight.

I guess I'll just live with using my laptop as an off-line work/play tool while in my office. Damn you all and your responsibility.

Thanks for answering my questions so quickly. I'm new to macs and am really impressed with the quality of the products and with the people who use them.

Cheers,

Geoff

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.