Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sch11

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
What does the number in the "Your Notifications" line in the status summary box (for lack of a better term) refer to? The number doesn't go down when I click on a notification to mark it read or seen. Is the number supposed to indicate the number of notifications you've received since you joined instead of unread notifications?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It is unread. It will change the next time you either refresh that page or go to a new page. At least that is what it does for me.

sch11

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
That doesn't happen for me - the number only ever increases. Could be a browser issue, I guess.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That doesn't happen for me - the number only ever increases. Could be a browser issue, I guess.

So if it says like 3.... and read all the messages and come back the next day it still says 3 (or more)? Sounds like something up on your end, because it has always worked okay for me. Maybe try deleting your MacRumours cookie and quit then log back in to the forums. :confused:

sch11

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
When I have new posts in subscribed threads, those threads are in bold. After I click on them, they're no longer in bold (but they stay in the list for a while; I'm not sure why). The new subscribed threads disappear, but the notifications counter doesn't decrease. I have quote notifications disabled, so new posts in subscribed threads are the notifications I receive most often.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Are we talking about the same notifications? Do you mean here: Screen Shot 2012-10-21 at 10.40.21 PM.png or somewhere else? I don't see any subscribed thread notices in there at all.

sch11

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
Are we talking about the same notifications? Do you mean here: View attachment 371266 or somewhere else? I don't see any subscribed thread notices in there at all.

Thank you for the screenshot, that was very helpful. I was confused. The notifications actually were quote notifications, which it turns out I didn't disable. I didn't realize what they were because I have javascript disabled, so I don't see the dropdown menu. All I see is the gray welcome box with the number of notifications; clicking the "Your Notifications" link takes you to your User CP, which I thought was a list of my "subscribed thread notifications."

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
wow. given the fact you've been a member since 2010, I guess there piled up quite a number of quote notifications...you sir, have a lot of work to do!:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.