Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
It's been a while. I'm a lay-person designer, and I'm rusty! :eek:

I downloaded MAMP, downloaded Wordpress, and started doing the setup for a local server to play with Wordpress.

When I clicked on the PhpMyAdmin tab to continue with the localhost setup, suddenly the screen came up with something like "PhpMyAdmin appears to be out of date. You need to upgrade it before continuing". I looked, and found long technical pages with no easy guide to upgrading it. I tried just downloading the latest PhpMyAdmin folder and copying that over the PhpMyAdmin folder in MAMP. It's now asking me for a username and password.... but has no register button to enter those in for the first time. I'm in effect locked out.

Should I just delete MAMP and download again?
Who runs MAMP anyway? Should I be telling them about all this?

eo2683

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
India
It's been a while. I'm a lay-person designer, and I'm rusty! :eek:

I downloaded MAMP, downloaded Wordpress, and started doing the setup for a local server to play with Wordpress.

When I clicked on the PhpMyAdmin tab to continue with the localhost setup, suddenly the screen came up with something like "PhpMyAdmin appears to be out of date. You need to upgrade it before continuing". I looked, and found long technical pages with no easy guide to upgrading it. I tried just downloading the latest PhpMyAdmin folder and copying that over the PhpMyAdmin folder in MAMP. It's now asking me for a username and password.... but has no register button to enter those in for the first time. I'm in effect locked out.

I'm not a huge fan of MAMP myself, in fact 1 thing i really miss from Windows still is WAMP.
You can use XAMPP, it's free & in a lot of ways better than MAMP.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
I'm not a huge fan of MAMP myself, in fact 1 thing i really miss from Windows still is WAMP.
You can use XAMPP, it's free & in a lot of ways better than MAMP.

Sadly, the last update for XAMPP looks like it was back in 2010. End of life?

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley

A lot of people run MAMP. I code for a living and I use MAMP.

Older versions of phpMyAdmin don't work with php5, which is probably why you ran into that error. I think I encountered that issue at some point in the past too, but it's so long ago I can't remember much.

It sounds like it wouldn't be much of a tragedy if you had to start over from scratch. The easiest thing to do would be to completely uninstall MAMP and reinstall it. There should be a built in uninstaller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.