Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
I accidentally spilled a drop of water on the top of the track pad so I decided to dry the water out with the hair dryer and didn't notice I was blowing the keys. Now the space bar, command and alt key on the right is deformed... Does the normal Apple Warranty cover a keyboard replacement? Everything is working fine. Trackpad is fine so are the deformed keys. It just deeply bothers me. If it doesn't cover this, how much would it cost to replace the 3 keys?

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
This is accidentally damage apple wouldn't replace the items for free best thing you can do book a appointment with apple genius and say how much would this cost me to get fixed and they should be able to give you a price there and then or make phone call and find out for you.

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Do you think it will cost alot? I just want to replace those 3 keys. My parents are going to kill me. :(

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
You could try making a genius bar appointment and see what they say. Just don't tell them a hairdryer was the cause. Just say after your computer had been on all night you woke up to see the keys like that (or something along those lines). Also, you should post a picture or two of the melted keys.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Just order the replacement keys - they are not expensive. BTW - why would you use a hairdryer on a drop of water?

0x000000

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2011
it really isnt...

If you're unlucky they want to exchange the whole topcase which should cost you something around 200 bucks, plus labor, another 150. I'd be surprised if you pay less than 300, considering how much work it is to replace the keyboard. The topcase is the "deepest" part of your notebook, getting there means taking apart everything. Check iFixIt, it's a pain in the arse.

But good luck, keep us updated.

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Been meaning to get back to you guys, kept slipping my mind. I brought it to Apple and they did change it with a doubt. They said that this would just be a one time thing. :O I'll post some photos of the melted keys. Take note of the space bar, right command and alt. You can see that the space bar is like wavy and the command and alt is well deformed.

Attachments

• IMAG0324.jpg
    IMAG0324.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 757
  • IMAG0325.jpg
    IMAG0325.jpg
    920.1 KB · Views: 2,130

mehanika

Mar 7, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
Been meaning to get back to you guys, kept slipping my mind. I brought it to Apple and they did change it with a doubt. They said that this would just be a one time thing. :O I'll post some photos of the melted keys. Take note of the space bar, right command and alt. You can see that the space bar is like wavy and the command and alt is well deformed.

I'd say you owe them - What you did was more than stupid.

Use a towel/cloth/paper next time, and not a device made for drying your hair. Should you ever get the idea, a iron will not do any better....!

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Using a hairdryer to dry out anything related to electronics is probably not a good idea in general. You could have damaged it far beyond just melting the keys.

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
I know that was stupid . Will never do that again to any electronic device. Lesson learnt. I guess I was lucky, everything is fine. Keys are just as sensitive as before.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Err, the guy was just asking for advice, not to be robotically parented. Christ.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.