Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
If this will allow Apple to increase their profit margins, I'm totally in favor of it!

its the complete opposite. this will slightly cut apples profit margins
in the industry, samsung provides by far the cheapest while also capable of such volume.

to be honest, i dont care where my display comes from, but if this kind of activity affects the quality of apple products, then I'm NOT HAPPY

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Nonetheless, it probably isn't a good idea to be too reliant upon a competitor. Apple seems to be replacing Samsung with multiple suppliers. That is good business sense.

It was in response to saying it would hurt Samsung more than Apple. I see your point but the reality is at the moment Apple will be using second and third tier suppliers. And Samsung won't be sitting idly by and will continue to innovate.

rendevouspoo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2012
That's because it doesn't. Samsung's competitors will get some major revenues, and a huge customer who tends to be a pain - but that's the kind of customer that makes you improve your products. And if they have any financial problems, they will have an investor.

It's a question of quality. It's no secret that Samsung are the best at displays.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Maybe Apple is requiring LG (and others) to step up their quality. (I hope), if so, then this could turn out better for everyone as LG would have stronger incentive to do so, and hopefully the quality increase would spill over into their other products making them more competitive with Samsung's display division across the board.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Samsung does something like $5-7 billion a year in contracts with Apple. It's only a few percent of their total revenue.

This gets posted every time.

Fact is they need to replace those few percent

In general a bad move by both companies and an emotional instead of business decision.

More understandable from Apple's part though.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Who cares?

Well 1) you do - you posted. 2) he was posting in response to someone suggesting that it was bad news for Samsung - so completely relevant. 3) I would say over 100 comments in this thread indicate a few more people "care."

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
That's good news. I hope Apple sticks with Sharp, the leader in LCD panels. Most of the technological breakthrough's in LCD panels came from Sharp. But Samsung won the market by its low price.

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Already it's a crapshoot whether you get an LG or Samsung display on a MacBook. Anyway, the new iPhone 5 display is superior to the one on the 4S regardless of who is making it. It's a matter of calibration.

It might be a crapshoot, but as someone with the Samsung-side of the crapshoot on my rMBP, I'm a happy customer. If I'd have received an LG screen, I would have returned this and Apple would be out $2500.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
At the expense of customer satisfaction? Good one.

Have you seen the difference between Samsung & LG displays for example?

I haven't. Can you or others point out some studies that show a trend or statistically significant difference in the quality?

I would really like to understand if someone has actually done some analysis on this is a comprehensive way or is it just people on internet forums citing the same anecdotal examples over and over again therefore creating "lots of people reporting display problems with XX producer" noise.

Honestly wondering if there really is a difference or not.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Several Chinese Samsungs in the future, is a possibility. But Samsung is a threat here-and-now. By spreading out the supply chain Apple at least moves the goal posts a couple years out. Perhaps by then Apple will be so entrenched in the education system or businesses with iPads that their IP won't allow them to be displaced with knockoffs.

And that's a good thing? We want Apple to pretty much have a Windows-like domination over a particular space? That's the goal? How is that good for us consumers when one company pretty much owns an entire space?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Disagree. Apple need to learn how to work with companies.

Apple knows that. Pay them good money for good products. Sue them if they rip you off. Samsung had a 130 page document describing in detail what changes to make in their software because iOS was better.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
And Samsung makes fungible commodities that Apple can get elsewhere with zero effect on their bottom line.

Remember that when you get a second rate SSD on your MBP. And flash memory in your MBA. And a poor panel on your iPad. :)

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
Maybe Apple is requiring LG (and others) to step up their quality. (I hope), if so, then this could turn out better for everyone as LG would have stronger incentive to do so, and hopefully the quality increase would spill over into their other products making them more competitive with Samsung's display division across the board.

LG has never made the best screens in the industry, what apple is counting on is the Japan Display to become a major player in the LCD wars. Risky bet imo, best thing for us Apple fan boys is a company like Samsung who has a track record of building consistent quality displays in a large scale.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I haven't. Can you or others point out some studies that show a trend or statistically significant difference in the quality?

I would really like to understand if someone has actually done some analysis on this is a comprehensive way or is it just people on internet forums citing the same anecdotal examples over and over again therefore creating "lots of people reporting display problems with XX producer" noise.

Honestly wondering if there really is a difference or not.

Just search in the MBA forum! There's quite a few threads doing comparisons etc. Search "LG vs Samsung" or something like that.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Who cares?

And another defender to the rescue! My post was a bit of a reality check for those who seem to think that Samsung will collapse without Apple. I know it's hard to believe, but the world doesn't revolve around Apple.

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
Samsung makes $1/4 trillion in revenue every year. I doubt they will cry much.
Right. And while both mobile and desktop market booming, they will have little trouble disposing their high quality competitively priced components. Big mistake, Apple.

Apple's consumer can also kiss good buy to the next generation of OLED displays since only Samsung can produce these in mass quantities.

sbarton

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
Apple doesn't just "buy" panels from display manufacturers. They partner on a technology level and invest $$$ heavily in their supply partners to bring to market the best products possible and maintain a high quality standard. While this may put temporary pressure on Apple in the short/mid term, it open a HUGE door to Samsung's competitors which will now benefit from the same relationship and investment it once received from Apple years ago.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Right. And while both mobile and desktop market booming, they will have little trouble disposing their high quality competitively priced components. Big mistake, Apple.

Apple's consumer can also kiss good buy to the next generation of OLED displays since only Samsung can produce these in mass quantities.

Well you KNOW what's going to happen, right? Once they are no longer using Samsung screens - Apple will market whatever technology they are using as superior - regardless if true or not.

You know "XXX types of screens aren't good for anything. We chose not to use that technology because it just provides an inferior experience"

Or something like that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.