Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sixxmum

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2010
I was just reading about 1Password. It is a little steep by the time you get it for Mac and the iPhone. Can you 1Password people tell me a little more about why you love it?

Right now, I'm using about 9 passwords total on a lot of different sites, based on the category they are. I guess that's not the safest way to fly.

sixxmum

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2010
I'm giving a try to LastPass right now, because I want to see how much I'll use a password manager before I sink $60 into 1password. What would you say is better about it?

With all due respect, I'm not trying to be rude either, but does it matter? Were we going to use this space for some other alternative purpose like the trying to calculate the remainder digits of PI or something? It's a discussion on password managers. Who cares if each person posts one sentence stating what the use or a paragraph or two. It's all contained in the thread. If the OP wanted it done differently, they could have created a Poll. But if they didn't, who cares what is posted. If someone doesn't like this format, don't read the thread.

Well nothing really matters honestly. People can post whatever they want, however they want, and as long as it's not offensive, who cares.

But imagine these two (hypothetical) scenarios. And I think you will agree that what I'm asking for should be proper "forum ediquette" (if there is such a thing :p)

a) Imagine this thread becomes extremely lengthy and becomes, say, 10 pages long (that's 250 posts). However 90% of the posts (225 posts) are of a simple one word nature and the remaining 25 posts are thoughtful, descriptive comparisons. Let's also assume that out of those 225 posts, there is a relatively small number of password managers being mentioned, say 15. Now, in order to get a feel for the best app, a person would need to flip through all 10 pages and try to imagine which app happened to get mentioned the most. And they would have to flip through 10 pages to search and find the thoughtful, descriptive posts.

b) now imagine the same situation above, but instead of repeating the same app name, everybody chose to +1 the comment of the app they like. This now results in a maximum of 40 posts, 2 pages. Now it is exponentially easier for a user to see "1Password, +107" and "Datavault, +73" and "Keeper, +88" etc. And it is extremely easy to find and read the helpful, descriptive posts as well.

I know I overexaggerated with a worst case type situation, but it helps to prove the point of what is actually helpful forum behavior. Also, 11 out of the first 40 posts in this thread were of the "Me too +1!!" variety, and over 25% does start to impact the usability of a thread.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I for one would rather see actual recommendations rather than just a "like" button recommendations--so like everything else here--it all comes down to personal opinion. :)

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I've been using mSecure for a while now. 1password seems to be getting a lot of positive press, but I see no reason to switch. mSecure has been just fine and I sync it to Dropbox with zero issues.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Is everyone using 1password pro or the regular version?
I can't figure out the difference. :confused:

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I believe the Pro is for the iPad--I use the regular version. I'm sure there are other options out there that work just as well but I've been using iPassword since 2008 and I have so many passwords stored in it, and I have it across all my devices--so it just works for me--it really is a fine product.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
The Pro works on iPad and iPhone. Fourteen dollars for a version that runs on both... Not cheap but better than buying both versions.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
google chrome saves your passwords why use another app? Same with on the iPhone Safari saves your passwords.

Deandre

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
SplashID Safe is also great. It securely manages even non-password confidential data such as personal or business record. Its pattern lock safe is the most cool and appropriate feature for iPhone.

marcamarca

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
I've been using Dashlane

I've been using Dashlane...

I had it on my iPhone 4. It's even faster on my iPhone 5 :D

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
Another vote for 1Password, both mac and iphone. Yes, it costs, but the development and improvement is ongoing, it works well, synch works well, and if you want to use Dropbox to synch they make that work well

cit1

Suspended
Jun 11, 2009
I never understood why people would spend money on something they can get for free if they searched a little. Call it supporting your neighborhood start-up, show me the free apps, and I'm a customer for life.

You choose between between being the customer or the product being sold.

More relevantly, 1password all day!

robertk328

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Lastpass.

Use the link and get free premium, I get some too. I have 1password too but like the sync across all devices without additional purchases...

MaxMuscle

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
I have to throw down another vote for 1Password. I use it both on my Mac/iOS Devices. The user interface is gorgeous on all versions and you can really feel the amount of time that went into them. The ability to sync by either DropBox OR WiFi is just icing on the cake. As others have mentioned, I have no problem paying for quality software, and that's exactly what this application is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.